PDA

View Full Version : win 7

jayrc
05-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Hi all, would like to know if windows 7 home edition will run IL2 1946, Freetrack, Windows enabler? Do I need win 7 professional? thanks

IceFire
05-08-2011, 11:59 PM
You mean Windows 7 Home Premium? There are more versions that Home and Pro like there were with XP.

And yes Windows 7 runs IL-2 great... Home Premium for sure and any other version "above" that. Windows 7 Basic I'm not as sure about. Installation is a bit tricky these days as you have to manually instigate it (clicking on A.exe on the DVD). Or better yet is to just copy the files by external hard drive or over the network (depending on what your upgrade route is).

jayrc
05-09-2011, 05:18 AM
Thanks Icefire:grin:

Artist
05-09-2011, 08:59 AM
jayrc,

make very sure that you do not install IL-2 in the "%Program Files%"-directory on the system partition. Use a different drive/partition or create a IL-2 directory directly in the root.

The reason: Win 7 protects the "%Program Files%"-directory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Resource_Protection)

Artist

jayrc
05-09-2011, 02:20 PM
so if I create a folder on the c drive and call it "jays games" for example, it should look like this, (C:\jays games\il2)?

would I have to do this for win 7 pro?

IceFire
05-09-2011, 09:28 PM
so if I create a folder on the c drive and call it "jays games" for example, it should look like this, (C:\jays games\il2)?

would I have to do this for win 7 pro?

Ohh yes you definitely should avoid Program Files for IL-2. For all versions of Windows past XP (Vista and Win7). Program Files now has a special protection on it so that people don't muck around with the contents and screw things up (amongst other things) but since IL-2 isn't aware of that fact it has some troubles if installed there. Avoid...you'll be fine.

udidwht
05-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Unless of course you've disabled UAC after a clean install. I've taken that course and IL-2 has no issues whatsoever with regards to the 'Program Files' folder/s.