Official 1C Company forum

Official 1C Company forum (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/index.php)
-   IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/forumdisplay.php?f=189)
-   -   Friday Update, February 17, 2012 (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=29806)

csThor 02-17-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bw_wolverine (Post 391524)
Yeah, to all the people who are saying 'this is not flight sim!':

It's pretty clear that this kind of vehicle stuff was always in the plan for this game, they just hadn't finished it yet upon release (the page of control options for vehicles should have been a clue).

So this was always a priority for IL-2: Cliffs of Dover. To complete the game they're trying to make. The fact that the post led with tons of info about how they're updating and upgrading the flight model and should tell you something as well. This is still a flight sim.

Here's where I see the new vehicle stuff being AWESOME:

Setup a smaller battle area (not the channel map). Maybe about 20 players a side. Setup objectives (destroy airfields, etc). Setup lots of AAA.

So players start out by launching tanks to go out and destroy enemy airfield AAA with a few fighters for cover.

But the enemy destroys a bridge! Can't get across that way. Have to take long way around.

Enemy has time to get its own tanks out to the choke point. Tank battle ensues!

Fighters/bombers scrambled to provide assistance. Protect the tanks! Get them through!

New objective! General needs transportation from one airfield to another. Get him there safely! Enemy gets report of his car and projected destination! Drive an AAA tank to protect him!

Supplies needed! Drive a transport and trailer full of ammo from a depot to the gun position! Success means your AAA keeps firing!

Lots of amazing stuff that could be done with this that not only give us lots of different things to do in terms of driving or flying or gunning, but also add completely organic mission objectives for BOTH sides. One guy driving a truck somewhere is just as much a shoot down a truck objective.

No need for 128 players for this to be great fun. We'll get there, I'm sure. Until then, I'm really excited to see where it goes!

Simply put to me that description is a description of some ahistorical gangbang. If I wanted that I'd play BF or something ... :?

ACE-OF-ACES 02-17-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krt_Bong (Post 391519)
though I would like to see more physics modeling, momentum, roll and tumble on destruction, relative speed and maneuvering; tanks are slow, trucks and cars are faster etc..

There is a scene in the video where a truck turns too sharp and rolls over

Flanker35M 02-17-2012 02:40 PM

S!

I liked the update and the information provided really gave hope for CoD now :) Vehicles will be a part of IL-2 series as this was one of Oleg's visions years ago. Foremost I wait for the graphics update and FM/DM update. When those are top notch feel free to add whatever :)

Thank you and have a nice weekend!

SEE 02-17-2012 02:42 PM

Fantastic! Excellent update BS - many thanks!

kestrel79 02-17-2012 02:53 PM

Great update. The new flight model info sounds promising. I'm really looking forward to that and more new sounds added to the new sounde engine.

Like someone mentioned above I really don't have a problem with them adding vehicles and thanks, IF they make using them have a PURPOSE. Can I drive a resupply truck to a front line airbase to repair it? Can I drive a tank into enemy territory and "capture" it with a moving dynamic frontline?

If this type of stuff is the point of adding vehicles then I'm all for it. It should bring in more people to play this sim, steal a lot of people from WW2OL. We do want more people to buy this game right? I don't know about you but I'd rather fly with more than 2 people on my team on ATAG server late at night. I just hope they don't make it too arcadey.

jamesdietz 02-17-2012 02:54 PM

Wow! Of course I want all this,I really do,but please give me improved FPS first.I won't be able to do much with all these splendid vehicles if my 'On Ground ,with grass & smoke "FPs is in the 4-10 range...

Ribbs67 02-17-2012 02:58 PM

It's clear that this game is being put together like a jigsaw puzzle.. and as soon as a lot of people realize that, the sooner they will be able to relax and enjoy the ride... I'm sure these features we probably completed years ago.. and for some reason or another.. have been able to be implemented along the way. I'm sure they haven't just skipped working on radio commands, so that we could hop in a vehicle and tour the English or French country side... Thanks Luthier and B6 for the Great update!

Jatta Raso 02-17-2012 02:59 PM

some FM revision is good news, let's see if they nail it on the head his time and correct the AC relative performance data, not just fine tune the existing performance relations.

the vehicles part is nice but not my bread, however CLoD does look good from ground level...

great to see the landscape is looking better then ever, but performance wise it MUST get to acceptable levels or but few will see it in like that (full detail). sound seems to be coming along as well.

it's this jigsaw type development that raises some doubts about the final picture, however i'm expecting a clearer image with the new performance and revisions that should be right around the corner. too long since last downloadable news and ppl are starting to get a bit anxious for improvement.

and for god's sake hope they change the far distant autumn's tree colour (wip i know).

Hood 02-17-2012 03:01 PM

Whilst the information provided in the update is great, I think the quality of the update itself is the best thing.

Thank you

Hood

JG5_emil 02-17-2012 03:01 PM

I liked it