Official 1C Company forum

Official 1C Company forum (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/index.php)
-   IL-2 Sturmovik (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Aircraft Videos and Images (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=31990)

Sternjaeger II 04-30-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadAim (Post 417389)
The Mustang in the video lost power as it was coming in (did you notice the puff of smoke?) and the pilot had to let her settle well short of the runway, the berm that the plane hit was supposed to be the edge of the field. I would say that considering the circumstances, that was an excellent landing.

yep, there was a failure with one of the camshaft gears if memory serves. The pilot could have put her down flawlessly had it not been for that stupid bank on the runway edge. With such a sudden power loss the pilot had pretty much little to do, all he could do was hanging on to the stick and hoping the Stang would keep its tail down. If it wasn't for that ramp it would have been just a rougher landing, but it's worth noting that even on such a hard hit only one landing gear leg bent slightly.

Here's Sally-B doing the same thing, although with all engines working all the pilot needed to do was give it a bit of throttle and help her down gently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTnoH...feature=relmfu
Quote:

As for the speculation about landing versus parachuting, I can certainly see the reluctance to jump out of a perfectly land-able aircraft. Hartmann belly flopped some 17 or so aircraft before being forced to bail out of one that was literally falling apart. Parachutes were an unknown quantity, landing a plane was, even if it was damaged.

It will be interesting to find the real story. If it's indeed there to be found.
well belly landing per se is a risky business with such aircraft on a rough field, let alone on a rocky desert! Don't forget you're coming down at 90-100 mph! We don't usually wear parachutes on the T-6, because it has such a sturdy wing that you can easily put it down in a field, but on the Mustang we always wear a chute: belly landing can be catastrophic because if it flips you're dead, since there's no armour headrest or protection frame to save the canopy from crushing. That's how the late Paul Morgan died unfortunately, and it's definitely an ugly way to go.

bongodriver 04-30-2012 01:10 PM

I was at Sywell the day Baby Gorilla flipped over, saw the whole incident unfold, really sad.

Sternjaeger II 04-30-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bongodriver (Post 417433)
I was at Sywell the day Baby Gorilla flipped over, saw the whole incident unfold, really sad.

I'm glad I wasn't there, I never met him but my friends there always told me he was an absolutely fantastic man he was. His P-51 Susy was a real cutie, it's in Germany now I think.

bongodriver 04-30-2012 01:25 PM

He had a corsair too, what happened to that?

Sternjaeger II 04-30-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bongodriver (Post 417445)
He had a corsair too, what happened to that?

AFAIK there was nobody else in his family that could fly the planes, so they decided to sell them. They held on Susy for a while, but it eventually went.

EDIT: The Corsair went across the pond apparently, and it also seems that the Sea Fury is being restored abroad.

Daniël 05-01-2012 08:13 AM

Great video! Thank you! :cool:

gelbevierzehn 05-01-2012 09:57 AM

WOW... Thx for sharing this!!!

JG5_emil 05-01-2012 11:52 PM

Wow that was awsome!

Cheers for posting

WTE_Galway 05-02-2012 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroopSnoot (Post 417341)
thank you for posting.

I always find it incredible that the F15 was first in tactical use as far back as the mid 70's, so far ahead of its time then but still going strong now.

It was intended to replace the F4 in 'nam but never made it in time.

Hood 05-02-2012 12:16 PM

Great video.

Now imagine doing all that in a tiny 1,000hp fighter getting to 200m in order to shoot at someone else. Then go further back and imagine being in a 110hp biplane geting to 10m...

Hood