Official 1C Company forum

Official 1C Company forum (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/index.php)
-   IL-2 Sturmovik (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Aircraft Videos and Images (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=31990)

swiss 12-11-2011 12:19 AM

Aircraft Videos and Images
 
http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...-447-6611877-2

credits for finding this link go to "airway"

AndyJWest 12-11-2011 04:09 AM

The whole series of events does seem to indicate that modern 'pilots' may manage to qualify without actually understanding even basic aerodynamics. Of course, most of the time, the airlines would rather leave the flying to the autopilot, which can probably squeeze out the last half-percent of fuel economy better than any human pilot. And when it goes wrong, they blame 'human error', and automate even more. Instead, we have to rely on software, which as everyone knows is entirely reliable, bug free, and guaranteed to deliver as advertised...

IvanK 12-11-2011 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesehawk (Post 369077)
Wow, thanks for the link, very crazy read. It's hard to imagine that the controls in modern planes would let pilots do two opposite things, and average them out. Beyond the human error, that's simply unbelievable to me.

Its not quite as bad as that. Airbus mechanisation is such that Control inputs from both sticks are Algebraically summed and then transmitted to the Flight control computers.

However if 2 pilots are actively polling (an absolute no no in Airbus ideology) a voice alert "DUAL INPUT" is repeated. Its not subtle and clearly lets you know. Each joystick also has a Takeover button. When pressed this automatically prevents the inputs from the other stick getting to the flight control computers. When the button is pressed another voice alert blares "PRIORITY LEFT or RIGHT" together with a visual indication (an arrow) placed directly in the pilots line of sight indicating exactly who has control. In addition if the takeover button is pressed and held the other side stick is deactivated.

As to the reversion from "NORMAL" law to "ALTERNATE" law this is a very (imo) subtle indication. All you see is a small amber X in each corner of the attitude indicator. A better cue imo would be another voice alert like "ALTERNATE LAW" to leave you in no doubt that you are in a mode with reduced protections. The link makes mention that none of these pilots may have flown the aircraft in Alternate Law. Well maybe not in the actual aeroplane but they would have done a reasonable amount of Alternate law handling in the Simulator.

This accident presented the pilots with an horrific set of conflicting cues. A lot is going to be learnt from this accident. Changes to training and certification will undoubtedly result.

bongodriver 12-11-2011 09:24 AM

Quote:

etc where the two pilots of a bomber/airliner need both people to pull out of whatever dive they've gotten themselves into. Seems strange to have 2 controls, but allow them to do different things
most aircraft have the dual controlls physically linked together so they can't operate independently, with airbus sidestick they are like computer joysticks and as IvanK said it's up to the computer to decide which one to pay attention to.

Quote:

No doubt in my mind that isn't human error, as much as human instinct. When stuff hits the fan, and the brain/heart is racing, it's amazing what you can focus on and what you simply don't realize is happening around you.
When we do our CRM (crew resource management) courses they often use a classic little video to highlight exactly this particular point, the video is of a group of players, half wearing white and the others wearing black, the instructor asks you to count how many times a ball is passed between players wearing whichever colour, when the video finishes he asks how many times....most people give a similar answer, but then he asks if anybody saw the gorilla....anybody who never saw the video before really don't see the gorilla, he plays the video back and sure enough a guy in a gorilla suit walks across the screen and pauses in the middle of it to beat his chest and a carries on out of the picture, it's the same video, but it highlight how when the human brain is really focused or preoccupied it can miss the most obvious things.

swiss 12-11-2011 09:35 AM

I got a solution: Instead of normal joysticks, they need Sidewinders!
With FFB you can't stall without noticing. http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/s...onfus/a020.gif
lol

Tavingon 12-11-2011 09:40 AM

Inside Interesting WW2 Planes
 
Please share here, I just found this and think it looks awesome

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...d-Interior.jpg

The mid gunner section in the Sunderland!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...den-Office.jpg

Hampden cockpit

swiss 12-11-2011 09:46 AM

A bit OT but,
next time you're in the Imperial Museum of War in London, have look at the Zero tail there, focus on the fasteners and the used technique.

Tavingon 12-11-2011 10:00 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t-Interior.jpg
Sitting in the back of a bf110

swiss 12-11-2011 10:36 AM

keep 'em coming. :grin:

TomcatViP 12-11-2011 12:52 PM

LOL


At this point of twisted minded code, Microsoft is fully qualified to writte part of the airbus FBW laws ;)

Sternjaeger II 12-12-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiss (Post 369140)
A bit OT but,
next time you're in the Imperial Museum of War in London, have look at the Zero tail there, focus on the fasteners and the used technique.

nice, I spent 10 mins browsing the interweb looking for images! LOL

What are they like? :)

swiss 12-12-2011 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sternjaeger II (Post 369484)
nice, I spent 10 mins browsing the interweb looking for images! LOL
What are they like? :)


The thing that catched my attention was the use of thousands of castle nuts, but not secured with a pin, but a tiny piece of wire, individually cut and patiently bent around each bolt(iirc they used it to attach the sheetmetal to the frame)
It's something that makes you cry in despair if you think about the poor bastard who had to do this - but it's also a beautiful example of high quality Japanese craftsmanship....
...and waste of precious time in such situations.

TomcatViP 12-12-2011 05:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is not Japanese

Or might be one or two of them lost in UK hapend to work here ;)

Regarding the photo : not really inside but...somehow !

JG52Uther 12-12-2011 07:46 PM

If you visit the RAF museum at Hendon you can walk through a Sunderland! That thing is huuuge!

pupo162 12-12-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomcatViP (Post 369551)
This is not Japanese

Or might be one or two of them lost in UK hapend to work here ;)

Regarding the photo : not really inside but...somehow !

fire!

TomcatViP 12-12-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pupo162 (Post 369598)
fire!

lol

RedToo 12-12-2011 08:35 PM

Nice to see images from my thread over at SimHQ popping up. :) They're slowly spreading around and about the net. The thread has many more early war pics and is here:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...ml#Post2682133

RedToo.

Tavingon 12-14-2011 07:37 PM

http://www.pavlamodels.cz/images/air...35/more/06.jpg
Defiant Cockpit

http://www.airmuseumsuk.org/museum/Y...%20cockpit.jpg

Walrus Cockpit

http://www.binbrook.demon.co.uk/imag...le_Cockpit.jpg

Fairey battle cockpit... Where on earth did the navigator fit in the back?

Richie 01-18-2012 03:11 PM

Book: Messerschmitt Roulette
 
Hi Everybody.

I was wondering if any of you out there have read this. I've only read one allied book all the way threw because I find them boring compared to the constant action day after day year after year of the German fighter pilots. Nothing like getting chased by Russians threw a field of sunflowers with bullets wizzing by your head. Or gradually pulling away from a bunch of 51s on your six by out flying them but finally running out of fuel still being able to bail though. There's a damn good movie in that book :) Anyway this looks like it might be very good.


http://www.amazon.com/Messerschmitt-.../dp/1840374268

Sternjaeger II 01-18-2012 03:23 PM

for "alternative" aviation reads you should try some great classics like:

"The Big Show" by Pierre Clostermann (dramatically beautiful and graphic at times!)

"Samurai" by Saburo Sakai (there are some bits of his book that could well make a beautiful movie, like when he's trying to chase fleeing bombers but he's too low and slow, and screams in anger as they get further and further away)

"Stuka Pilot" by Hans Ulrich Rudel (which I suppose you know)

"The Blond Knight of Germany" by Erich Hartmann

"Baa Baa Black Sheep" gives a very unusual insight into war in Asia

"My Logbook" by Gunther Rall

"Spitfire on my tail" by Ulrich Steinhilper

then if you have some time and money to invest:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...pilots&x=0&y=0

I have a plethora of Italian books too, some of them are incredibly well written and tell some unheard stories, too bad there's no translated versions of them :-(

Sternjaeger II 01-18-2012 03:41 PM

I was kinda wondering about that one when I saw it in a bookshop, didn't have time to look through it, but I was wondering if it was written through his memoirs or it's just a bio.

CWMV 01-18-2012 03:59 PM

So is there anywhere that a copy of mein flugbuch can be obtained for less that $200?
Ive looked around but it seems to have been a very limited run.

And who can forget the classic The first and the last by Galland.

swiss 01-18-2012 04:10 PM

http://www.buchhandel.de/detailansic...=9783980793537

Sternjaeger II 01-18-2012 04:18 PM

I got me a signed copy when it came out straight away, it's now together with my signed Hartmann and Galland bios :)

335th_GRAthos 01-18-2012 05:30 PM

"I FLEW FOR THE FÜHRER - The Story of a German Fighter Pilot" by Heinz Knoke


~S~

JG52Uther 01-18-2012 06:44 PM

'Messerschmitts over Sicily: Diary of a Luftwaffe Fighter Commander' by Johannes Steinhof is a good book if you want some action.

Sternjaeger II 01-18-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JG52Uther (Post 381590)
'Messerschmitts over Sicily: Diary of a Luftwaffe Fighter Commander' by Johannes Steinhof is a good book if you want some action.

I found that a bit dull actually,but maybe I read it with different expectations..
There are some remarkable bits though, like when he mentions Adriano Visconti :-)

Sven 01-18-2012 09:24 PM

Was going to get Luftwaffe Eagle by Walter Schuck this week, looking forward to reading that one. :)

MACADEMIC 01-19-2012 01:29 AM

Presently reading 'Malta Spitfire' by George Beurling, written in 1943. No shortage of action there. Good book.

MAC

Tavingon 01-19-2012 09:13 PM

http://img714.imageshack.us/i/cockpitt.jpg/

Fairey Barracuda

Richie 01-20-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheesehawk (Post 381506)
Ugh, how can you forget
"German Fighter Ace Hans Joachim Marseille: The Life Story of the Star of Africa"? :)

I have these

http://www.amazon.com/Hans-Joachim-M...7099151&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Jagdgeschwader...7&sr=1-3-fkmr0

and another on my PC on JG27

plus a ton of others witch I could name later but I'm eating bacon and my bosses free range eggs right now.

Richie 01-20-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MACADEMIC (Post 381699)
Presently reading 'Malta Spitfire' by George Beurling, written in 1943. No shortage of action there. Good book.

MAC


That's a good suggestion. He was crazy or wild....right? There we go..Why can't Canada do a movie about a hot shot pilot? Why? I tell. It would be so minimalist and ho hum that people would think Buzz was a bore. We are pretty good about making movies about Necrophiliacs though. Roger Ebert dug it :)

Tavingon 01-23-2012 05:14 PM

http://www.vickersmachinegun.org.uk/...m/SUK15052.jpg

Not sure what plane this is inside, but good view of a sighted VGO

DB605 01-23-2012 06:51 PM

Virtual cockpits (ww2 and couple others), click on aircraft pic: http://www.jamiflyin.com/museossa

Sven 01-24-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DB605 (Post 383661)
Virtual cockpits (ww2 and couple others), click on aircraft pic: http://www.jamiflyin.com/museossa

Awesome! Thanks for the tip!

JG52Krupi 01-24-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DB605 (Post 383661)
Virtual cockpits (ww2 and couple others), click on aircraft pic: http://www.jamiflyin.com/museossa

Thanks for sharing, very cool!

kestrel79 01-24-2012 09:52 PM

I don't have any pictures but what always blew me away was the technology inside the B-29's gunner stations. I mean it was 1944 and that thing had computer aided remote turrets! I watched a history channel documentary on it and thought that was so ahead of its time.

AndyJWest 01-24-2012 11:58 PM

I think you'll find that B-29 turret 'computers' were analog devices (like for example the torpedo targeting 'computers' used in US submarines). Clever technology, but not computers in the modern sense.

Tavingon 01-26-2012 04:52 PM

http://users.cyberone.com.au/clardo/...ameron7202.jpg
Blenhiem turret
http://users.cyberone.com.au/clardo/GunnersVGO.jpg
Inside the gunners 'office

JG52Uther 01-26-2012 05:21 PM

Do you have a picture of the escape hatch? Thats all I would want to know about if I was a Blenheim gunner...

WTE_Galway 01-30-2012 05:26 AM

Extremely well done P51C-5NT 3D virtual cockpit

http://www.stclairphoto-imaging.com/...g/P51_swf.html


hold left mouse button to pan
zoom in/out with mouse wheel

BG-09 02-01-2012 12:14 PM

I can tell you a Real short story about I-16 and Bf-109 E:
 
One Soviet pilot of I-16 was cought in very low dogfight with 2 Bf-109 E. The soviet pilot have done everything, but he cannot escape from the Bf-109 E's. I-16 was triying to escape on high speed over one lawn, with 1 Bf-109 E very close on its tail. Looking backwards, the soviet pilot hits a pile of hay on the lawn. The soviet I-16 imediately does somethig as salto with its nose downwards, stalling very strong, but still in the air. The soviet pilot is thrown from the open cannopy, falling on the lawn injured with trauma, but alive. The german pilot of Bf-109 E was not so lucky: Bf-109 E crashes in to the stalled in to the air I-16 and explodes. The german pilot dyes. Soviet troops take the injured pilot and send him in to the hosspital. Thats all I know.

Does anybody knows more details on this accident?

<---BG-09---<<<

xpzorg 02-01-2012 12:27 PM

http://i16fighter.ru/usage/ww2op/ww2op.htm in russian but...

BG-09 02-01-2012 12:44 PM

Большое спасибо за линк! Я знаю Руский - прочитаю все! Thank you!

Tvrdi 02-01-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BG-09 (Post 386922)
One Soviet pilot of I-16 was cought in very low dogfight with 2 Bf-109 E. The soviet pilot have done everything, but he cannot escape from the Bf-109 E's. I-16 was triying to escape on high speed over one lawn, with 1 Bf-109 E very close on its tail. Looking backwards, the soviet pilot hits a pile of hay on the lawn. The soviet I-16 imediately does somethig as salto with its nose downwards, stalling very strong, but still in the air. The soviet pilot is thrown from the open cannopy, falling on the lawn injured with trauma, but alive. The german pilot of Bf-109 E was not so lucky: Bf-109 E crashes in to the stalled in to the air I-16 and explodes. The german pilot dyes. Soviet troops take the injured pilot and send him in to the hosspital. Thats all I know.

Does anybody knows more details on this accident?

<---BG-09---<<<

Only few idiots would fly BF109 like that...it was a stalker (BnZ) and was used as stalker through the war....mostly....

xpzorg 02-01-2012 02:36 PM

I advise you to try to read this story(maybe with google translater;)). It's very interesting story, pilot's fate is unknown. Сasualties in fight 10/2.
http://nnm.ru/blogs/hot_tabych/zazer...-snimka/page1/

robtek 02-01-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tvrdi (Post 386934)
Only few idiots would fly BF109 like that...it was a stalker (BnZ) and was used as stalker through the war....mostly....

Just don't let real life interfere with your theories.

Those fighters were used as needed, to say they flew almost exclusively as BnZ is simply wrong.

What about i. e. the many bomb carrying 109's, they flew usually on the deck.

The fighters might have planned for BnZ, but then again: no plan survives the contact with the enemy.

Jaws2002 02-01-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tvrdi (Post 386934)
Only few idiots would fly BF109 like that...it was a stalker (BnZ) and was used as stalker through the war....mostly....

Those were real Bf-109 fighter pilots, not internet comandos. They flew real planes, in a real war. In war they fly how they have to in order to achieve the mission goal.
If they had to chase an I-16, on the deck, they did just that. Not all made it out of it and not all could afford to fly how they wanted.
It was a real war not a game.

Jaws2002 02-01-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robtek (Post 386969)
Just don't let real life interfere with your theories.

The fighters might have planned for BnZ, but then again: no plan survives the contact with the enemy.

+1. The first casuality in war is the battle plan. :mrgreen:

csThor 02-01-2012 04:52 PM

Quite seriously: I am considering soviet war stories to be usually grossly blown out of proportion on behalf of the soviet authorities (Stalin ordered "improved" historiography after the war). Far too often this or that soviet pilot was injured/got his aircraft set on fire/whatever and still outfought so-and-so-many german fighters. I have read too many stories like this, most of them following exactly the same script without many or any deviations, so I simply discard them all as potentially or even most probably made up.

Sorry and hats off to the veterans. No slant against them, they're as much the victims of state propaganda as the general audience. :-(

xpzorg 02-01-2012 05:02 PM

Do you maybe want talk about anti-soviet propaganda conducted by western governments?:rolleyes:;)

csThor 02-01-2012 05:06 PM

No need. I have the german edition of "The Blonde Knight of Germany" about Erich Hartmann. I do recognise products of the Cold War when I see them ... ;)

engadin 02-01-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csThor (Post 387000)
Quite seriously: I am considering soviet war stories to be usually grossly blown out of proportion on behalf of the soviet authorities (Stalin ordered "improved" historiography after the war). Far too often this or that soviet pilot was injured/got his aircraft set on fire/whatever and still outfought so-and-so-many german fighters. I have read too many stories like this, most of them following exactly the same script without many or any deviations, so I simply discard them all as potentially or even most probably made up.

Sorry and hats off to the veterans. No slant against them, they're as much the victims of state propaganda as the general audience. :-(

+1 here. When propaganda gets so spread, it's really hard to tell it from reality. You know, truth, as Jaws 2002's battle plan, is the first casualty of war too, and prop has everything to do with it.

VO101_Tom 02-01-2012 05:14 PM

I know it's repost, but some of you might not know:
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/pilots/pilots.htm

Tvrdi 02-01-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaws2002 (Post 386996)
Those were real Bf-109 fighter pilots, not internet comandos. They flew real planes, in a real war. In war they fly how they have to in order to achieve the mission goal.
If they had to chase an I-16, on the deck, they did just that. Not all made it out of it and not all could afford to fly how they wanted.
It was a real war not a game.

Sure. Their task was to protect bombers and to fly patrols. In russian campaign, in earlier stages of the war sometimes they took the plunge and chased planes on the deck....but that was more exception than a rule...Jabos are different story Im not talking about them....

And dont tell me about real war please....I experienced it recently....

MB_Avro_UK 02-01-2012 09:43 PM

Hurricane In Her Element...
 
Hi all,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIkSb...eature=related

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

bongodriver 02-01-2012 09:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
..

JG52Krupi 02-01-2012 10:16 PM

Nice, thanks for sharing :D

robtek 02-01-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tvrdi (Post 387054)
Sure. Their task was to protect bombers and to fly patrols. In russian campaign, in earlier stages of the war sometimes they took the plunge and chased planes on the deck....but that was more exception than a rule...Jabos are different story Im not talking about them....

And dont tell me about real war please....I experienced it recently....

Their first priority, beside surviving, was to shoot down enemy fighters whenever they had the chance and no countering orders.

The war in the air has changed quite a bit since then!

pupo162 02-01-2012 11:18 PM

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnn nnnnnnn


loved it.

ATAG_Snapper 02-01-2012 11:27 PM

Nice!

Hopefully this classic Merlin flyby sound will replace the current diesel trucks that our Spits and Hurries sound like in Cliffs of Dover. Perhaps Black6 can forward this to Luthier with a note saying, simply, "Like THIS, Ilya!!!!"

zxwings 02-02-2012 01:36 AM

About the 109 chasing the I-16:

Everyone, not just "a few idiots", makes mistakes. Erich Hartmann, when not so experienced in the air, did, too. The 109 pilot in the story, however, did not survive his mistake.

Feathered_IV 02-02-2012 06:31 AM

Sore throat perhaps.

Flanker35M 02-02-2012 08:18 AM

S!

About history..everyone writes their own ;) But it is true that the Russian official history sadly STILL follows this strange agenda that an armless and legless guy half blind plane on fire without ammo shot down half of the Luftwaffe by shouting for Motherland and Stalin..I think the veterans do not approve all this from neither side.

A great example of Russian WW2 history are the claims of shot down Finnish airplanes during Winter War 1930-1940 lasting 105 days. VVS claimed over 440 planes being shot down. If this was the case our air force would have been decimated up to present day..go figure. Another goes for a guards regiment claiming 5 Messers shot down over Finnish Gulf when these planes just broke off in a dive because fuel was low. Dates and places match when comparing and the Finnish radio monitoring heard the message from the Russian pilot stating it.

Anyways..war ended LONG time ago and those men who were there are soon all gone. We would respect them more by remembering THEM instead the war. Those men gave their youth to war and rebuilding after it. We have it easy. I think they appreciate more that they are remembered and respected than the everlasting nitpicking of the war itself.

Flanker35M 02-02-2012 08:31 AM

S!

They would just need to travel to Duxford during summer to get the sounds. And I am more than confident that the Duxford crew would be more than helpfull if told why the recording is needed ;)

JG5_emil 02-02-2012 08:45 AM

It's so weird how something like that can stir up so much emotion but it did give me goosebumps!

Ataros 02-02-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flanker35M (Post 387143)
About history..everyone writes their own ;) But it is true that the Russian official history sadly STILL follows this strange agenda that an armless and legless guy half blind plane on fire without ammo shot down half of the Luftwaffe by shouting for Motherland and Stalin..I think the veterans do not approve all this from neither side.

I do not think we have any official history now. Every author has his own view depending on how he interprets old data. Especially in the field of aviation there were almost no historical research in the recent 25 years. Sadly government does not finance it.

Speaking of war and post war time this agenda was present on both sides because it was not a subject of history but subject of propaganda, Stalin's or Goebbels' - no much difference. Same that CNN does nowadays :)

xpzorg 02-02-2012 09:32 AM

Remember 2008 year, when western mass media footage showing "the destructions from the invasion" of Russians to Georgia. I'm in russia and my friends in france watched different scenes from tv. Is it no propaganda?
So it was and will always.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Informa...h_Ossetian_war

Helrza 02-02-2012 10:06 AM

super sexy Hurr IIc.... my fav hurri :D

Flanker35M 02-02-2012 10:26 AM

S!

Ataros, good point. I believe that with time things will change. A generation or two does not wipe off the results of a totalitarian regime. Not in Russia, not anywhere. And I think a saying from a veteran describes it well: The difference between nazis and communists was the flag. Both reigned with fear and terror. And if you look at the sentence it makes it perfectly clear, both regimes used camps, had extreme control of people via police etc. and only the elite of the regime had it well while rest of people were mostly as before. But anyways..sorry for derailing the thread and intention is not to flame anyone or any nation.

Feathered_IV 02-02-2012 12:03 PM

I've got something in my eye is all...

flyingscampi 02-02-2012 12:40 PM

I think this is a longer version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2nlGN6aS8g

This is good too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUx3MU9iM6c

Foo'bar 02-02-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper (Post 387084)
Nice!

Hopefully this classic Merlin flyby sound...

It has a griffon.

ATAG_Snapper 02-02-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foo'bar (Post 387184)
It has a griffon.

Really? Sure doesn't sound like one! ;)


http://www.militaryplanes.co.uk/pz865-h.html

bw_wolverine 02-02-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foo'bar (Post 387184)
It has a griffon.

The Hurricane from the first post? Hmm I don't think so. The Spitfire in one of the videos further down has a griffon, but that first Hurricane certainly didn't sound like a griffon engine.

Did the Hurricanes even use griffon engines? I don't think they ever did.

ATAG_Snapper 02-02-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bw_wolverine (Post 387188)
The Hurricane from the first post? Hmm I don't think so. The Spitfire in one of the videos further down has a griffon, but that first Hurricane certainly didn't sound like a griffon engine.

Did the Hurricanes even use griffon engines? I don't think they ever did.

Hey, if 1C can fit diesel engines into our Spits and Hurries, why not a Griffon in a Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Hurricane IIc? LOL

EDIT: clarification - when flying in CoD the sound of a Spit or Hurri alongside me sounded vaguely familiar.....and then it hit me. Sounds almost identical to an 18-wheeler's diesel engine beside me on the 401 when I'm cruisin' on my Hog! Conclusion: 1C shoehorned a flippin' diesel engine into our beloved Spits 'n Hurries!!!! LOL

bw_wolverine 02-02-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper (Post 387189)
Hey, if 1C can fit diesel engines into our Spits and Hurries, why not a Griffon in a Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Hurricane IIc? LOL

Ha!

I need to stop coming on here during the work day. All I want to do now is get back up in the skies and I've got 7 more hours to go.

Uuuuughhh.... ;)

bongodriver 02-02-2012 01:31 PM

Hurricanes never had griffons and spitfires only got them from Mk12 on

bw_wolverine 02-02-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper (Post 387189)
clarification - when flying in CoD the sound of a Spit or Hurri alongside me sounded vaguely familiar.....and then it hit me. Sounds almost identical to an 18-wheeler's diesel engine beside me on the 401 when I'm cruisin' on my Hog! Conclusion: 1C shoehorned a flippin' diesel engine into our beloved Spits 'n Hurries!!!! LOL

My god, you're right! I was checking my five o'clock this morning on the commute because I thought I'd picked up a wingman.

I hereby launch the Cliffs of Dover PMS Group! The Proper Merlin Sounds Group.

How come those ruddy blue pilots get a lovely sounding DB engine and we get a transport truck?

ATAG_Snapper 02-02-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bongodriver (Post 387192)
Hurricanes never had griffons and spitfires only got them from Mk12 on

No diesels, then?

ATAG_Snapper 02-02-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bw_wolverine (Post 387196)
My god, you're right! I was checking my five o'clock this morning on the commute because I thought I'd picked up a wingman.

I hereby launch the Cliffs of Dover PMS Group! The Proper Merlin Sounds Group.

How come those ruddy blue pilots get a lovely sounding DB engine and we get a transport truck?

PMS? Love it! Make me a charter member!

I can live with a wimpy Spit Ia, I can deal with a reversed-animation Spitfire mixture lever, but a diesel engine under the cowling????? NEVER!!!

(Sorry, was having a Jafa Sound Mod - moment.......)

bongodriver 02-02-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper (Post 387197)
No diesels, then?

Nope....but German bombers had diesels, I have no idea what they used to create the merlin sounds, I guess it's just too hard to synthesize the pure music of a merlin :grin:

smink1701 02-02-2012 02:19 PM

BS...tell Luthier to make the Hurricane fly-by sound just like that.;)

ATAG_Snapper 02-02-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bongodriver (Post 387200)
Nope....but German bombers had diesels, I have no idea what they used to create the merlin sounds, I guess it's just too hard to synthesize the pure music of a merlin :grin:

Seriously, I didn't know the Axis used diesels in bombers. I imagine, back in the day, they would've been fun to start in the winter -- although obviously they had that figured out only too well.

I'm puzzled that the 1C devs goofed up on the Merlin sounds, since Jafa's came so close to the external (F2 key) and, although not quite there, distinctly better than 1C on the flyby sound (F3 key):

(and this mod was released by Jafa over 9 months ago soon after CoD's release!!!)

http://vimeo.com/24922949

bongodriver 02-02-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper (Post 387206)
Seriously, I didn't know the Axis used diesels in bombers. I imagine, back in the day, they would've been fun to start in the winter -- although obviously they had that figured out only too well.

I'm puzzled that the 1C devs goofed up on the Merlin sounds, since Jafa's came so close to the external (F2 key) and, although not quite there, distinctly better than 1C on the flyby sound (F3 key):

(and this mod was released by Jafa over 9 months ago soon after CoD's release!!!)

http://vimeo.com/24922949

I don't think they really got used by the beginning of the of war.

anyway we'll have to see whether the patch brings something to the sounds, at least the improved the sound engine (didn't they say more was to come?)

Flanker35M 02-02-2012 02:48 PM

S!

The high altitude Ju86 used diesel engines. Early war no plane could get to it as it flew above 12000m.

ATAG_Snapper 02-02-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bongodriver (Post 387207)
I don't think they really got used by the beginning of the of war.

anyway we'll have to see whether the patch brings something to the sounds, at least the improved the sound engine (didn't they say more was to come?)

Hope so!

I'm the first one to give kudos to 1C for what they've delivered to us, warts and all. Obviously, I fly online a LOT, and 1C have provided me the means to greatly enjoy the whole air combat experience in my personal favourite of all theatres of virtual war. A few weeks back Wolverine and I teamed up on the server, flying line abreast over the Channel and successfully engaged several 109's in quick succession. Using Teamspeak, with the fantastic in-cockpit sounds and graphics, it felt like we were THERE! How can you beat that, sitting in the warm comfort of your computer room/rec room?

That said, as a Canuck with Brit & Aussie blood in my veins, I wish 1C would have taken a true dyed-in-the-wool Brit on board as an influential consultant to put the true Allied "heart" into the Red side: Campaign, aircraft sounds, flyables, etc etc. The distinctive note of the Merlin strikes an emotional chord of anyone associated in any way with the Battle of Britain, and yet the devs inexplicably missed that completely. Moscow is truly a long way from Duxford in this case.

As I've heard it described elsewhere, the devs will know when they've got the Merlin flyby right when the hairs on the back of their neck stands up! :)

kestrel79 02-02-2012 02:57 PM

Was the IIc Hurri the one with the 4 20mm cannon? That indeed was my fav Hurri from IL2. Packed a punch on the desert map in Spits vs 109 server.

Flanker35M 02-02-2012 03:02 PM

S!

So I have read too, Hurricane Mk.IIc was armed with 4 x 20mm Hispano, Mk.IIb with 12 x .303cal and the Mk.IId with 2 x .303cal and 2 x 40mm Bofors...Can be wrong though...

ATAG_Doc 02-02-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper (Post 387084)
Nice!

Hopefully this classic Merlin flyby sound will replace the current diesel trucks that our Spits and Hurries sound like in Cliffs of Dover. Perhaps Black6 can forward this to Luthier with a note saying, simply, "Like THIS, Ilya!!!!"


THAT'S IT! IT DOES! A diesel! Sounds like a gear jammin semi truck. Good call Snapper. It always eluded me as to what it sounded like and that is spot on. Rather than the Battle of Brittan theme I have East Bound and Down in my head now.

bw_wolverine 02-02-2012 04:02 PM

Recollections from Bill McRae RCAF
 
Not sure if anyone's seen this or read it. It's a facinating account with some answered questions that might be relavent to us here:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver...1/canada2.html

Skoshi Tiger 02-06-2012 10:06 AM

The strange tale of the Nordon Bomb sight!
 
Not sure where I saw this video first but it's an interesting point of view regarding peoples expectations of technology.

When it comes down to it, no one technology will solve all our problems, whether it's building a bomb site or optimising a flight sim. There is only so much that can be done. I guess we need to be realistic with our expectations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUVQP-erJ5Q

Heres looking forward to the next 10 years of COD.

Sternjaeger II 02-06-2012 12:32 PM

you probably saw it here ;)

It was posted some time ago, brill video nonetheless! :)

Skoshi Tiger 02-06-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sternjaeger II (Post 388336)
you probably saw it here ;)

It was posted some time ago, brill video nonetheless! :)

Now you mention it it does ring a bell. :)

At work we started the year with PD sessions and there were a few of the presenters showing TED's videos. As I was looking one of them up I found that one again!

Cheers!

Sternjaeger II 02-06-2012 02:58 PM

yeah, a lot of the TED stuff is truly inspirational, it's good to see some offices actually make use of it! :)

BG-09 02-08-2012 07:31 AM

Very Rare color pictures WW2!
 
http://life.time.com/history/before-...editors-pick#1

The world of WW2 seems very familiar when in color! :)

Skoshi Tiger 02-08-2012 08:41 AM

Some of those photo's are like postcards. Looks out of place with the war being fought around them.

PeterPanPan 02-08-2012 08:45 AM

Fantastic pictures. Thanks for sharing. I thought the 4th one looked familiar and then I checked. It is Henley-on-Thames in Oxfordshire, England. The view is looking east, downstream over the River Thames. All the buildings you see are still there - not much has changed in 70 years :)

http://www.360vision.co.uk/uploads/il2/then.jpg

http://www.360vision.co.uk/uploads/il2/now.jpg

PPP

Tvrdi 02-08-2012 08:58 AM

I always liked "now and then" pics...somehow it goes with me being a history buff....thanks Peter

klem 02-08-2012 09:10 AM

Just a social comment...
That cover picture (#1) is interesting. I have seen several people from the USA use their forks dagger-like as the guy in the centre does whilst in SE Asia I have met some very nice people completely baffled by what to do with knife and fork when chop sticks are not available. The one in the top left hand corner holds it in more recognisable US style but perhaps the guy on the right has the best idea :)

Wouldn't it be boring if we were all the same?

Picture 14, the guy on the extreme right looks as though he's pleased its all over.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 1C Company. All rights reserved.