Official 1C Company forum

Official 1C Company forum (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/index.php)
-   IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/forumdisplay.php?f=189)
-   -   Poll regarding Steam users (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=19089)

Codex 03-08-2011 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Extreme_One (Post 232355)
The beauty of PC gaming is that there is always a solution to every problem.

Oh I am sticking that one on the motivational board :cool:

FLGibsonJr 03-08-2011 11:45 PM

I have had Steam for a few years and do not particularly like it. I basically have it because other games I have purchased have forced me to use it. I especially do not like the MP matching in games like Empire Total War and Napoleon Total War.

My real fear though is for the future. Steam has a virtual monopoly over PC gaming, in that they control about 70% of all PC game downloads. What they do with their monopoly is the big question, and if history tells us anything, big monopolies in the long run are not good for consumers or small businesses and developers. In fact Steam is currently pursuing a security feature that links your account and games to your current processor, how that will effect you when changing PC's is yet to be determined. The problem is that your gaming is being controlled by a monopoly and in a sense it is the "consolizing" of PC gaming.

I know there are a lot of developers that are concerned about the Steam/Valve monopoly and you can count me among them.

For now my purchase of CoD has been put on hold until I find out more about the MP matching and the feedback from those who try it here. I know by reading the posts here that there are those who fanatically love Steam (I hope you love your loved ones as intensely), but my guess is that someday that love may not be requited.

Regards,

Kikuchiyo 03-08-2011 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLGibsonJr (Post 232380)
I have had Steam for a few years and do not particularly like it. I basically have it because other games I have purchased have forced me to use it. I especially do not like the MP matching in games like Empire Total War and Napoleon Total War.

My real fear though is for the future. Steam has a virtual monopoly over PC gaming, in that they control about 70% of all PC game downloads. What they do with their monopoly is the big question, and if history tells us anything, big monopolies in the long run are not good for consumers or small businesses and developers. In fact Steam is currently pursuing a security feature that links your account and games to your current processor, how that will effect you when changing PC's is yet to be determined. The problem is that your gaming is being controlled by a monopoly and in a sense it is the "consolizing" of PC gaming.

I know there are a lot of developers that are concerned about the Steam/Valve monopoly and you can count me among them.

For now my purchase of CoD has been put on hold until I find out more about the MP matching and the feedback from those who try it here. I know by reading the posts here that there are those who fanatically love Steam (I hope you love your loved ones as intensely), but my guess is that someday that love may not be requited.

Regards,

Steam shield is not a hard lock to a cpu it's a choice. Can we please please please stop the disingenuous "facts?"

It's not developer's against Steam it's retailers that forsook PC gaming in the first place.

The last bit is a choice, and a reasonable one. I love my family vastly more than I love any business. I however loathe disingenuous, misinformed, or dishonest statements. That is the main reason I have been so fervent in my defense of Valve these past couple of days.

Thee_oddball 03-09-2011 12:08 AM

if you buy a game from steam(like dragon age 2) and find out you dont like it can you sell it to some one?

Kikuchiyo 03-09-2011 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thee_oddball (Post 232385)
if you buy a game from steam(like dragon age 2) and find out you dont like it can you sell it to some one?

No, but you can request a refund. I cannot guarantee that said request will be accepted.

FLGibsonJr 03-09-2011 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kikuchiyo (Post 232384)
It's not developer's against Steam it's retailers that forsook PC gaming in the first place...

...The last bit is a choice, and a reasonable one. I love my family vastly more than I love any business. I however loathe disingenuous, misinformed, or dishonest statements. That is the main reason I have been so fervent in my defense of Valve these past couple of days.

http://www.1up.com/news/steam-confli...st-valve-randy

Please see link that counters your assertions about developers related to Steam/Valve. I could post many more.

Regards,

Kikuchiyo 03-09-2011 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLGibsonJr (Post 232390)
http://www.1up.com/news/steam-confli...st-valve-randy

Please see link that counters your assertions about developers related to Steam/Valve. I could post many more.

Regards,

Here you go. On the other hand as consumers we do have a responsibility to keep an eye out. There are two sides to every coin. Valve didn't set out to take a 70% market share of DD they just made it so convenient and user friendly that before anyone else could hop on the bandwagon the train had already left the station. I do believe they need competition, but it will have to be from something that is as overall perceived by the end user to be as useful and fulfilling for gamers that use the service. Valve is not infallible but it is up to the consumers to decide when enough is enough and not Valve's competitor's that thus far have not done it as well (as evidenced by it's user base.)

Robert 03-09-2011 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codex (Post 231837)
No offence to anyone but I would have thought that last line in the text spells it out pretty clear: "So you will need a Steam account to play the game."

Is that for the DOWNLOADED version or a hard disc copy. I DON'T play on line. It's not something I enjoy. My interweb connection is okay..... but I certainly won't download a 10GB file. I just wanna pop the disc in and play OFFLINE. What benefit does STEAM have for me?

My biggest concern that I need to verify is that I will be able to burn DVDs. Almost every UBI game I've bought has caused issues with my DVD burning. I use my PC for work and pleasure. Obviously, work takes precedence over pleasure. I had to download the "IL2 no disc EXE." to play IL2. The other games I shelved.

I know that wasn't STEAM, but it is a concern for me. Does STEAM just verify ownership of the disc, or does it examine my PC for ISO/image file burning software? I can't afford two PCs so CoD may have to be a no go.

Extreme_One 03-09-2011 06:58 AM

Steam won't have a bearing on whether or not you can burn the DVD.

Just like any other game out there nowadays it will depend on the DRM system included on the DISC.

Quote:

What type of DRM is being used in IL-2 Stumovik: COD?
...uses a new driverless activation solution to manage activations developed by Solidshield with whom T@GES is partnering.

http://www.solidshield.com/en/Products

http://www.tagesprotection.com/main.htm

Quote:

TAGES™ is a new breed of CD/DVD-ROM copy protection which overcomes the inadequacies of the commonly marketed solutions. With TAGES™, the software community takes a great leap forward against piracy by offering several technical breakthroughs. Our main technical asset is our specific mastering process which builds up a programmable "secure area" on the disc. The secured area is used to protect useful application data sets or encryption keys.

TAGES™ secure area concept permits the protection of independent application data sets of the code. By doing so, TAGES™ makes the protection of the executable component or of interactive content straightforward. For developers, the concept is extremely powerful and easy to put in practice: secure specific data that cannot be reproduced on a recordable media.

leggit 03-09-2011 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTE_Galway (Post 231859)
This is kind of a biased survey.

The sort of person that is online and posting on forums is most likely already using Steam. (Most of the real life people I know that play or have played IL2_1946 bought it in a store and have never played it online ever, those people obviously never come to this forum)

That is going to bias the results a bit.

LMAO.....you guys crack me up... I guess if the result showed people hated steam it would have been a accurate indication of the player base.