Official 1C Company forum

Official 1C Company forum (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/index.php)
-   IL-2 Sturmovik (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Friday 2010-09-24 Dev. update and Discussion (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=16627)

kendo65 09-25-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philip.ed (Post 184579)
Early days is a good point. Personally, I won't worry too much about the terrain upon release so long as it can be worked on in patches. :cool:

Can't really agree that it's still 'early days' for BOB. Definitely for the SOW series, but re-read this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oleg Maddox (Post 184191)
The product is probably the most serious in industry in programming of features, internals, etc...
So I can't tell exact date right now. But we are close, very close in our works of final release version... We need to polish all the coming in final release features.

Maybe this 'polishing' is going to be pretty damn good (actually, I'm pretty sure it will be :) ) but I think we should take on the reality. It's not 'early days' any more.

philip.ed 09-25-2010 01:11 PM

I agree. Crappy it is not. It's still WIP, and will be post release too. Effectively, many aspects of Il-2 can be viewed as WIP.

Ah I can see what you mean. But with the expansion of SoW, BoB will be tweaked too. Won't it? Surely it's just the beginning of a long road to awesomness. Or the beginning of awesomeness to the long road of.... well.....there aren't enough adjectives or superlatives to describe ;)

kendo65 09-25-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philip.ed (Post 184584)
I agree. Crappy it is not. It's still WIP, and will be post release too. Effectively, many aspects of Il-2 can be viewed as WIP.

Ah I can see what you mean. But with the expansion of SoW, BoB will be tweaked too. Won't it? Surely it's just the beginning of a long road to awesomness. Or the beginning of awesomeness to the long road of.... well.....there aren't enough adjectives or superlatives to describe ;)

Yeah - I see where you're coming from too. Don't disagree with that.

Hecke 09-25-2010 01:20 PM

Yeah... "crappy" might really be over the top.

But I say this comparing the quality of the planes to the quality of the terrain.

So that doesn't have to mean that the terrain is crappy. ;)

philip.ed 09-25-2010 01:26 PM

All good points :D Heck (no pun intended :D ) we'll all buy it on release so let's see what Oleg means about 'polishing up'. I can imagine he has a wealth of info that he's just itching to add to the game. I'd love to take a trip ten years in time....

johnnypfft 09-25-2010 01:30 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV-k7Vf_t2w ;)

Hecke 09-25-2010 01:30 PM

considering he told that color tweaking is done in the last few weeks, it can only get better.

@ Johnny: Thx for your weekly videos.

P.S: I bet for a late October release. ;)

choctaw111 09-25-2010 02:44 PM

Simply incredible. How much more is there to do yet?

Trumper 09-25-2010 03:14 PM

:) I hope the terrain will be top notch after all i would like to start off in the Tigermoth learning the basics and navigating low and slow or in a 108 on the axis side.
Not all combat is at 300 mph and 20,000 feet.
You start on the ground,the combat can be very low level and you finish on the ground,so disregarding the terrain is a big mistake.

Blackdog_kt 09-25-2010 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark@1C (Post 184532)
A quick question,
When playing the two-seat aero types, does it mean that we shall have an experience just like that we could have at the flight school, a tutor and a student?
Thanks.

In multi-crewed aircraft, each player will be able to do what he's supposed to be doing according to the station he occupies: the pilot will fly, the gunners will shoot, the bomb-aimer will be dropping the bombs and so on, so i guess that in planes with two pilots both of them will be able to fly.

It's been talked about in the past that we will be able to share control in the Tiger Moth, so that one player can train another ;)
What i don't know is if there will be a toggle switch to transfer control between players, or there will be some algorithm to simulate linked control inputs.

A control transfer toggle is the easiest to do. The second option is more difficult, for example what happens if the student moves the stick one way and the tutor moves it the other way, how does the game add the two inputs?

Maybe it could be as simple as adding all the inputs, so that if the student is pushing 10 degrees of left aileron and the tutor is applying 20 degrees of right aileron, the end result would be 10 degrees of right aileron. The problem with that would be when both pilots moved their stick to the end of its travel in opposite directions, this would result in a total of zero control deflection.

However, if the practical problems of dual control could be solved in a satisfactory manner, it would be a blast to fly with the controls of both positions unlocked at the same time. The student could be flying normally while the tutor could add control inputs to make it more difficult for him, fiddle with the engine controls to simulate battle damage and so on.

For example, as a tutor you could simulate engine failure on a twin-engined aircraft. You suddenly cut power to half, add a touch of down elevator and heavy left rudder and talk to your friend who's flying in the student cockpit: "your left engine just got shot to bits by flak, bring the aircraft back home for an emergency landing".

Maybe the instructor could have a toggle to switch between normal and double force/sensitivity of controls, so that he could overpower the student's input if and when it's needed? Just a thought ;)

JVM 09-25-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumper (Post 184607)
:) I hope the terrain will be top notch after all i would like to start off in the Tigermoth learning the basics and navigating low and slow or in a 108 on the axis side.
Not all combat is at 300 mph and 20,000 feet.
You start on the ground,the combat can be very low level and you finish on the ground,so disregarding the terrain is a big mistake.

The 108 was never a trainer....and it is not announced as flyable (so far)...The 108 was a courrier/liaison aircraft; it was too complex and quite close to the 109 in terms of difficulty of manipulation (except the 109 torque, obviously).
The A/C we wiss on the German side, those which were used in the same role as the Tiger Moth, are the Fw 44 and the Bü 131...
The aerobatics-minded crowd would kill for a well reproduced (especially FM-wise) Jungmann in SoW...

The good news is nothing will prevent a knowledgeable third party to make one if MG has no time/resources to do so before first release!

JVM

The Kraken 09-25-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philip.ed (Post 184559)
He has a good point though. Compared to recent games, the terrain does look quite bad. I've even seen better terrain textures for Il-2 at this altitude. I'm sure it will be fixed and/or changed, but IMO too much work is being put into ground vehicles which are so detailed, I can't imagine giving a toss about how many rivets they have when I fly past at 300MPH. It's great to see this attention to detail, but I think there are other areas that need more work ATM.

Would you say the same about the flight jackets? After all, most people couldn't care less about how correct they are, as long they look reasonably vintage. It's not that you get to see them too often anyway while flying past opponents at 600MPH... :P

Texture quality aside (AF should still make a major difference even without any further updates), I find the terrain mesh quality amazing, both down low and far away. I don't know any sim which renders such far-away details like the cliffs on the lower edge of image #5 with such quality.

The Kraken 09-25-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defender (Post 184497)
As far as the "lasers" go...I think we owe Oleg a little respect in this department. These are in no way FINAL so given the other painstaking details being modeled I think it's pretty safe to say he'll get the tracers as right looking as possible come release.

Given Oleg's comments I assume they are very much final, which is perfectly fine with me, as this is more or less how tracers should be rendered. And even if most people are already tired of this anecdote (at least if they've been following Il2 tracer discussions for the last ~10 years): George Lucas tried to replicate WW2 tracer fire for the lasers in Star Wars, so it's actually a good reference.

Richie 09-25-2010 05:12 PM

I just remembered this old movie and the tracer discussion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2x27ahVz9o

Friendly_flyer 09-25-2010 05:21 PM

Absolutely gorgeous shots, Oleg! I am really happy to hear you are nearing completion!

kalimba 09-25-2010 05:21 PM

What we have seen so far...

..is probably less that 25 % of the whole project...

It is close to finished product and we did NOT see:

Clouds, tracers with smoke, exlposions, bullit hits, crashes, troups on the ground, AA in action, or anything that would make us really go "wooooooooooooooooow"...:-P

So I am pretty sure that Oleg keeps the real good stuff for an official announcement.....and ...VIDEO !!!!! :rolleyes:

Salut !

Hecke 09-25-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalimba (Post 184636)
... troups on the ground...

Will we have people on the ground?

LukeFF 09-25-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Personally, I won't worry too much about the terrain upon release so long as it can be worked on in patches. :cool:

Uh, yeah. 1C does own the source code, after all. :rolleyes:

LukeFF 09-25-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Langnasen (Post 184591)
Looking mighty fine Oleg, I'm really looking forward to being able to purchase this.

All the best to you sir. :)

Siggi.

Siggi of Bombs-Away.net and Ilyushin2.net? :shock:

kimosabi 09-25-2010 06:01 PM

Looks like an early 2011 release now. ;)

Luffe 09-25-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeFF (Post 184640)

Easy tiger. :P

Patch:

–noun
1. a small piece of material used to mend a tear or break, to cover a hole, or to strengthen a weak place: patches at the elbows of a sports jacket.
2. a piece of material used to cover or protect a wound, an injured part, etc.: a patch over the eye.
3. Also called skin patch, trans·der·mal patch . an adhesive patch that applies to the skin and gradually delivers drugs or medication to the user: using a nicotine patch to try to quit smoking.
4. any of the pieces of cloth sewed together to form patchwork.
5. a small piece, scrap, or area of anything: a patch of ice on the road.
6. a piece or tract of land; plot.
7. a small field, plot, or garden, esp. one in which a specific type of plant grows or is cultivated: a cabbage patch; a bean patch.

8. beauty spot ( def. 1 ) .
9. Military . a cloth emblem worn on the upper uniform sleeve to identify the military unit of the wearer.
10. a small organizational or affiliational emblem of cloth sewn to one's jacket, shirt, cap, etc.
11. a connection or hookup, as between radio circuits or telephone lines: The patch allowed shut-ins to hear the game by telephone.

philip.ed 09-25-2010 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeFF (Post 184640)

I know, but they may not choose to work on it...:rolleyes:

philip.ed 09-25-2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Kraken (Post 184615)
Would you say the same about the flight jackets? After all, most people couldn't care less about how correct they are, as long they look reasonably vintage. It's not that you get to see them too often anyway while flying past opponents at 600MPH... :P

Texture quality aside (AF should still make a major difference even without any further updates), I find the terrain mesh quality amazing, both down low and far away. I don't know any sim which renders such far-away details like the cliffs on the lower edge of image #5 with such quality.

Good point, but the pilot is more in shot than ground vehicles. All the same, I can see what you mean ;) Although I'd hate to see a RAF pilot in Luftwaffe kit and vice-versa :cool:

Freycinet 09-25-2010 06:58 PM

Since no one else seemed to bother, i'll just say a hearty THANK YOU to Rodolphe for identifying those vehicles! - Much better contribution to this thread than all those "crap this crap that" postings...

philip.ed 09-25-2010 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freycinet (Post 184655)
Since no one else seemed to bother, i'll just say a hearty THANK YOU to Rodolphe for identifying those vehicles! - Much better contribution to this thread than all those "crap this crap that" postings...

+1 ;)

BTW, the plane making the attack on the Heinkel is a Hurricane. I thought this might be helpful :-P LOL

BG-09 09-25-2010 07:19 PM

Oleg, do Battle of Britain this way!

Oleg, do the Battle of Britain this way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKLLR...eature=related
This is what we need - to die like heroes!
Not to play games!
<------BG-09------<<<

BG-09 09-25-2010 07:42 PM

Some great details here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BXo-...eature=related

Oleg, please, note how the antena cable of the Ki-43 fluctuates /at 6:48 sec. very clearly visible/ on the wind over the head of the Japanese fighter pilot. Also note that there is no huge flames, when the aircraft is hit, when small caliber machine guns are used...

~Cheers!

philip.ed 09-25-2010 07:56 PM

I posted an excellent late war guncam clip in colour and HG/Jumo supplied a better version. It really is worth a look if you missed it ;)

philip.ed 09-25-2010 08:08 PM

The clouds look very nice here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUu4S...layer_embedded

Jumo211 09-25-2010 08:09 PM

BG-09 , I hope you're aware of the fact that video you posted is from a movie with mix of some
real flyby footage , some staged flying footage and almost all very closer cockpit footage is actually
not in air but staged on the ground edited with skies background , if you take a closer look you should
be able to see how pretty bad footage it is in some instances , there was no CGI back in time :lol:
A lot of footage was also staged just for the movie , almost useless video for any references :cool:

BG-09 09-25-2010 08:30 PM

Ofcourse!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jumo211 (Post 184675)
BG-09 , I hope you're aware of the fact that video you posted is from a movie with mix of some
real flyby footage , some staged flying footage and almost all very closer cockpit footage is actually
not in air but staged on the ground edited with skies background , if you take a closer look you should
be able to see how pretty bad footage it is in some instances , there was no CGI back in time :lol:
A lot of footage was also staged just for the movie , almost useless video for any references :cool:

Of course it is so!

peterwoods@supanet.com 09-25-2010 08:37 PM

BG-09 I don't think it is an antenna cable, if it were so to what would it be connected? Also at 6:49 there is a similar fluttering strand that appears to be connected to the front edge of the windshied going on an up angle. I suspect that both strands are hair or something similar caught in shutter mechanism of the camera.

Edit Both strands can seen in this screen shot, (arrows only added).

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/u...rinshutter.jpg

peterwoods@supanet.com 09-25-2010 09:18 PM

BG-09 I eat my words and apologise. I snatched this at 9:49 and it is very definately a long wire aerial and is connected to the insulator at the top of the fin, (and you can see it moving!). It is not at all clear where or to what it is connected at the forward end. In this view it appears to be well above the rear cockpit cover, but logic says that if it were connected thus getting in and out would be very awkward.
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/u...airthisnot.jpg

All a bit academic really, it certainly carries you point to Oleg well.
Again my apologies.

peterwoods@supanet.com 09-25-2010 09:45 PM

Mystery solved. I should have looked at the start of the videeo clip. The long wire antenna is connected between the fin and a radio mast forward of the cockpit and is centre fed to the radio bay by the wire on the starboard side.
I can go back to day dreaming now.

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/u...isnowclear.jpg

tourmaline 09-25-2010 09:53 PM

Amazing screenshots.

Nice update Oleg and team!

This is the game i am going to buy a new hotas system for!:cool: Throttle, stick and pedals that is. I had an older version but i need a new usb version for this game...

Because the game will be soo good, you'll cost me serious money Mr. Maddox...And team....

Hecke 09-25-2010 10:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had a bit like a déjà vu while watching that clip.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/attachm...1&d=1285452400

major_setback 09-25-2010 11:08 PM

Super

Thanks very much...I was trying to find out what vehicles they were on the internet, but couldn't find them.

bf-110 09-25-2010 11:40 PM

The amount of details that the ground vehicles have still impress me.They could easily fit into a modern FPS game.I wonder how large ships will be,like aircraft carriers and battleships.Guess those will need to wait till 2015,when might be computers that can support the new SoW updates.

Oh yes,BTW,what maps will be in SoW first release?Only Britain maps or will be one of France?

major_setback 09-25-2010 11:48 PM

Wow. It's tiny!

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/19/va...325_b7eefcbb_L

Nice image:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...pboard01-6.jpg

LukeFF 09-25-2010 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philip.ed (Post 184652)
I know, but they may not choose to work on it...:rolleyes:

And that's their decision. Do you have something riding on the success of SoW?

MD_Titus 09-26-2010 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splitter (Post 184357)
As long as I can turn off the image of the virtual pilot, then fine :). I fall into the category of "some people" in that I don't want to see my virtual hands and feet. Plus, I'm not sure any gauges are insignificant.

No way SoW will be able to model size 14 shoes anyway!

Splitter

this

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeFF (Post 184379)
Already been said that it's not going to happen.

still gets dug up. should be left to rest in peace tbh.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger (Post 184450)
What a great idea! They could make a DVD (Double Layered) with a compliation of ALL the whining posts from this fourum! Just to remind us of what we've put them through! ;)

All the best in your move Oleg, and remember not to leave your file server on the curb when your team is packing up all the office equipment!

Cheers!

that would be the highly edited taster version, right?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hecke (Post 184535)
Well Oleg:

The terrain still looks crappy and it's endless far from cinematic.

Some sort of trees in the pics look very poor, others quite good.

a charmer aren't you lad.
Quote:

Early days is a good point. Personally, I won't worry too much about the terrain upon release so long as it can be worked on in patches. :cool:

the terrain geometry is what particularly matters, not the textures. that's looking pretty exceptional, and i would imagine we are still being shown the game as-is from someone's average, non-super computer. if you've got the cash, and access to as-yet-not-developed processors and gpus, to drop on something that can play this as high res textures on everything... then you'll be able to complain if the textures are something to worry about.
Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeFF (Post 184710)

all it'll need is a change from "low" to "very high" as soon as our computers catch up with it. remember all the bits and bobs built into il2 that you could barely use because it would make your machine weep?

sorak 09-26-2010 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oleg Maddox (Post 184150)
Today we are moving in new office.
I don't know really how much time we'll be offline. Anyway, today some shots.

Man this looks so good. You and your team are amazing. I could say so much more but i will retain myself

sorak 09-26-2010 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 184269)
Nice screens Oleg.. just curious.. has the FFB issue been resolved in SoW? I am talking about the issue with the FFB where when you alt tab out of the sim for any reason you totally loose any FFB you had until you totally reboot the sim. Is the FFB support for SoW going to be different?

When i play with my FFB joystick on current IL2 and I alt tab out.. the FFB goes away but it comes back when I hit refly

sorak 09-26-2010 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hecke (Post 184535)
Well Oleg:

The terrain still looks crappy and it's endless far from cinematic.

Some sort of trees in the pics look very poor, others quite good.

You do realize this is a Flight combat sim not a Bird Watching sim

sorak 09-26-2010 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElAurens (Post 184555)
Kurfurst, I do think that Oleg has this in mind for later.

An all encompassing arir/ground/sea MMO from Oleg would indeed be wonderful.

That sounds so awesome

sorak 09-26-2010 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt (Post 184608)
In multi-crewed aircraft, each player will be able to do what he's supposed to be doing according to the station he occupies: the pilot will fly, the gunners will shoot, the bomb-aimer will be dropping the bombs and so on, so i guess that in planes with two pilots both of them will be able to fly.

It's been talked about in the past that we will be able to share control in the Tiger Moth, so that one player can train another ;)
What i don't know is if there will be a toggle switch to transfer control between players, or there will be some algorithm to simulate linked control inputs.

A control transfer toggle is the easiest to do. The second option is more difficult, for example what happens if the student moves the stick one way and the tutor moves it the other way, how does the game add the two inputs?

Maybe it could be as simple as adding all the inputs, so that if the student is pushing 10 degrees of left aileron and the tutor is applying 20 degrees of right aileron, the end result would be 10 degrees of right aileron. The problem with that would be when both pilots moved their stick to the end of its travel in opposite directions, this would result in a total of zero control deflection.

However, if the practical problems of dual control could be solved in a satisfactory manner, it would be a blast to fly with the controls of both positions unlocked at the same time. The student could be flying normally while the tutor could add control inputs to make it more difficult for him, fiddle with the engine controls to simulate battle damage and so on.

For example, as a tutor you could simulate engine failure on a twin-engined aircraft. You suddenly cut power to half, add a touch of down elevator and heavy left rudder and talk to your friend who's flying in the student cockpit: "your left engine just got shot to bits by flak, bring the aircraft back home for an emergency landing".

Maybe the instructor could have a toggle to switch between normal and double force/sensitivity of controls, so that he could overpower the student's input if and when it's needed? Just a thought ;)

Or just get in another plane and really shoot him.. it will be ok if the plane blows up or wrecks.. its a simulator

kapteeni 09-26-2010 05:20 AM

OMG! Those details looks way too cool!
I can't wait!
Even i like old IL2 1946 too.
PS thx again, Oleg and Team.
Can't wait to make maps to this engine!!
Kap

Rodolphe 09-26-2010 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freycinet (Post 184655)

Quote:

Originally Posted by major_setback (Post 184702)
Thanks very much...I was trying to find out what vehicles they were on the internet, but couldn't find them.

Thank for your support, Chaps ! :grin:

Quote:

Originally Posted by major_setback (Post 184708)
Wow. It's tiny!

Nice image:

Beaverette Mark III with the larger turret and twin Vickers machine guns.

These tanks are A13 Mark 3, Cruiser Tank Mark 5, later to be known as the "Covenanter" . ;)
This vehicle was plagued with mechanical and cooling problems
that caused the tank to end it's days as a training vehicle - never seeing combat.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...pboard01-6.jpg

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/unitedki...enanter-02.png

Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future.

Niels Bohr

tityus 09-26-2010 06:41 AM

Quote:

It's been talked about in the past that we will be able to share control in the Tiger Moth, so that one player can train another
Another idea for training would be both players having on the screen the same PoV - (both watching the world through the virtual eyes of the same pilot). By doing this, the instructor could see what the student is looking at and provide information.

- Check your speed. Keep it around 100 mph.

Quote:

A control transfer toggle is the easiest to do.
That would be the idea for determining who controls the "virtual pilot" in this training mode.

Regarding adversities:
Quote:

Or just get in another plane and really shoot him
As for shooting the plane, I believe the resources to schedule a failure would be more beneficial.
Quote:

fiddle with the engine controls to simulate battle damage and so on (...) you could simulate engine failure
That was the idea behind the programmable failures I inquired about in the past. IMO, it would be very interesting to be able to generate a failure in an specific system and/or schedule it in the mission.

té mais
tityus

LukeFF 09-26-2010 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Langnasen (Post 184738)
Yeah. How's it hanging Luke, long time no see. :)

Doing well here. I thought I'd never see you around a flight sim forum again. :grin:

Insuber 09-26-2010 08:36 AM

Bf,

The map will likely include southern England, and the French and Belgian bases used by LW and Regia Aeronautica.

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by bf-110 (Post 184707)
The amount of details that the ground vehicles have still impress me.They could easily fit into a modern FPS game.I wonder how large ships will be,like aircraft carriers and battleships.Guess those will need to wait till 2015,when might be computers that can support the new SoW updates.

Oh yes,BTW,what maps will be in SoW first release?Only Britain maps or will be one of France?

philip.ed 09-26-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeFF (Post 184710)

No, of course not. But we've been waiting a long time for a sim of cinematic quality, so it'd be nice if this was achieved (I'm sure it can be too).
I'm not sure what you're problem is mate. You seem to enjot taking everything I say and picking it apart. Just chill out and enjoy these last few months before SoW. A lot can happen to the sim in this time so no fear :cool:

Skoshi Tiger 09-26-2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodolphe (Post 184753)

Beaverette Mark III with the larger turret and twin Vickers machine guns.

Your right, I was going to say they were lewis guns with the round magazines and all but there was a Vickers 'K' gun fitted to these cars!

Cheers!

kimosabi 09-26-2010 01:16 PM

Nooo, the grass is too greeen! Make it brooowneer! :-P

Blackdog_kt 09-26-2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sorak (Post 184746)
Or just get in another plane and really shoot him.. it will be ok if the plane blows up or wrecks.. its a simulator

And if he's a newbie he just crashes and we need to re-fly the entire mission ;)

The reason trainers and dual-control are cool features is that in a single flight you can practice a lot of instances of simulated failures, instead of crashing the aircraft and having to refly, take-off, climb to altitude, etc, all over again. It just saves time ;)

Superluminal_8 09-26-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimosabi (Post 184805)
Nooo, the grass is too greeen! Make it brooowneer! :-P

Maybe it will just suffice with a fence. ;)

BG-09 09-26-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterwoods@supanet.com (Post 184685)
Mystery solved. I should have looked at the start of the videeo clip. The long wire antenna is connected between the fin and a radio mast forward of the cockpit and is centre fed to the radio bay by the wire on the starboard side.
I can go back to day dreaming now.

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/u...isnowclear.jpg

No problems mate! We are here to help Oleg to do his job perfectly - all of us!!!

Jumo211 09-26-2010 05:36 PM

Well , I just did stupid comment since it was not related to this exactly
antenna point you were refering to and antenna wiring can be used as reference .
I am sorry BG-09 :(

swiss 09-26-2010 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hecke (Post 184592)
P.S: I bet for a late October release. ;)

Accepted. How much(or what)? :grin:

Hecke 09-26-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiss (Post 184879)
Accepted. How much(or what)? :grin:

Hehe, you decide :grin:

Flying Pencil 09-26-2010 08:03 PM

Comments to the instrument panel here (image 1):

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=16658

Flying Pencil 09-26-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oleg Maddox (Post 184191)
X-day... release. This now will depending of publisher... and our fast woks over the bugs.
Bugs are present. The product is probably the most serious in industry in programming of features, internals, etc...
So I can't tell exact date right now. But we are close, very close in our works of final release version... We need to polish all the coming in final release features. I personally wouldn't release the product that have serious bugs that was known. It is our principle in the past.. it is now...

This is VERY drool worthy news!

In case your grasp of English fails, everyone is salivating, that is super excited, to see its release!

On to reading more!

Flying Pencil 09-26-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freycinet (Post 184195)
Anyway, the screens we have seen make it ABUNDANTLY clear that any constraints in the look of the sim will not be internal to the sim, but due to PC limitations. This sim will be able to tax even the strongest PC. And that is why it makes a lot of sense to release a sim with growth potential, where not all features are implemented just yet.

150% agree.

This sim should, at lowest settings, tax the best machine, because in less then 2 years any off computer will be able to run it easily.

tourmaline 09-26-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frantishek (Post 184921)
150% agree.

This sim should, at lowest settings, tax the best machine, because in less then 2 years any off computer will be able to run it easily.

The problem will be, how many people will still play this game in two years time, probably i will, but alot of people buy new games every month or so...2 years in gaming industry is a very long time.

Also, not everybody is willing to buy a new computer just to play a game...

If you make it work on computers that run today, and Mr maddox and team will do, then you ensure that you'll have enough audience to sell to...

There aren't that many real die hard flight simmers like us.

peterwoods@supanet.com 09-26-2010 10:23 PM

Well worth a read.

Flight magazine archive 22 Aug 1940
Fifth page down "War in the Air" reports of BoB battles of 13, 14 15 Aug.

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...0-%202360.html

Romanator21 09-26-2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

2 years in gaming industry is a very long time.
And yet, IL-2 has a 10 year history, and has a way to go still. :grin:

winny 09-26-2010 10:51 PM

All they need to really worry about is that the FM/DM/engine is as advanced as it can be. All the cosmetic stuff can be easily added as it becomes available (as IL-2 has proved). Saying that, I fully expect that SoW running on the highest setting will kill most PCs.

But..

Surley there's no way such a niche title is going to launch with a really high minimum spec? They can't afford to do that. They need this title to be accessible to as many people as posible because it's future relies on the sales.

I know lots of people on here are gonna buy a new PC specifically for SoW but I'm not sure how many other people would do the same.

julien673 09-26-2010 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frantishek (Post 184921)
150% agree.

Remember lock on.... now its run ok after.. how many year ? ? ? ;)

infirebaptize 09-27-2010 12:27 AM

I hope to have a publisher in Canada, i plan to buy the disk version of this game not the digital download. Game like this, i would like to keep next to my pillow :-)

Richie 09-27-2010 01:31 AM

BOX...yes let's see some box art :)

IceFire 09-27-2010 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winny (Post 184953)
All they need to really worry about is that the FM/DM/engine is as advanced as it can be. All the cosmetic stuff can be easily added as it becomes available (as IL-2 has proved). Saying that, I fully expect that SoW running on the highest setting will kill most PCs.

But..

Surley there's no way such a niche title is going to launch with a really high minimum spec? They can't afford to do that. They need this title to be accessible to as many people as posible because it's future relies on the sales.

I know lots of people on here are gonna buy a new PC specifically for SoW but I'm not sure how many other people would do the same.

Oleg did say that they intentionally develop on slightly less than the top spec so that the game will work nicely on the newest hardware. Still I expect they will be stretching the capabilities as time goes on.

BG-09 09-27-2010 05:30 AM

No problems!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jumo211 (Post 184867)
Well , I just did stupid comment since it was not related to this exactly
antenna point you were refering to and antenna wiring can be used as reference .
I am sorry BG-09 :(

Do not worry - we have to push this project further! :)

Vierzinger 09-27-2010 06:48 AM

I have faith!
Looking forward to buy the final product.
A salute to you and your team :grin:

ZaltysZ 09-27-2010 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline (Post 184933)
2 years in gaming industry is a very long time.

Flight sims are exception, because such products are not "mass produced". Basically, if SoW survives (likely) a week in my PC, it will live there until better WWII sim comes out.

Chivas 09-27-2010 07:27 AM

I agree, the IL-2 series has been going strong for around ten years because it has no competition. I believe the SOW series will last even longer, because the game engine is built for longevity, and there is no competition on the horizon. Its unlikely to have much competition either, because of the years of commitment necessary to build such a complex product, with so little monetary gain.

Kudlius 09-27-2010 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winny (Post 184953)

Lots of people bought it for 'Rise of Flight', so they just need SoW BoB now:)
There is nothink new on TOP hardware sector whole year and there would not be anything new in nearest 12 month period, except maybe prices which where rising about 20%, so maybe now we will have some drops about 15%. Ugly capitalists

BadAim 09-27-2010 12:26 PM

I'm looking forward to 100+ live pilots on a public server! That will be cool.

Rodolphe 09-27-2010 12:32 PM

Some quick Paint.NEt jobs. ; )

http://users.teledisnet.be/web/mfe39146/Sammeln1.jpg

http://users.teledisnet.be/web/mfe39146/Sammeln.jpg

http://users.teledisnet.be/web/mfe39146/Sammeln2.jpg

Stukadriver 09-27-2010 12:54 PM

Good site...thanks.

Stukadriver 09-27-2010 12:59 PM

I probably made a mistake by buying a new machine a while ago with Vista Premium on it. Rise of Flight works great on it. Is there a way to get IL2 to run well on Vista? I loaded it and much of it worked, but no sound and some erratic movement/frame action. Too erratic for me to endure.
Thanks.

Abbeville-Boy 09-27-2010 12:59 PM

oleg can you tell us who the publisher will be? :grin:

Oleg Maddox 09-27-2010 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadAim (Post 185051)
I'm looking forward to 100+ live pilots on a public server! That will be cool.

Curently we did limitation for 128 players. However all will depends of the possible traffic.

Oleg Maddox 09-27-2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stukadriver (Post 185056)
I probably made a mistake by buying a new machine a while ago with Vista Premium on it. Rise of Flight works great on it. Is there a way to get IL2 to run well on Vista? I loaded it and much of it worked, but no sound and some erratic movement/frame action. Too erratic for me to endure.
Thanks.

It will runing good on Vista. We almost all run it here on Vista and several guys - on W7.
I'm on XP and Vista

Oleg Maddox 09-27-2010 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abbeville-Boy (Post 185057)
oleg can you tell us who the publisher will be? :grin:

Publisher will tell it.

Richie 09-27-2010 01:07 PM

Do you think any videos will be shown in the up coming updates?

major_setback 09-27-2010 01:08 PM

Oleg:
Has the name of the series finally been decided?
Will it still be SoW? Someone here suggested OMG (Oleg Maddox Games) - it would be a great name!

Insuber 09-27-2010 01:09 PM

Hi Mr. Oleg,

When will you release the hardware specs?

Thank you,
Insuber

KG26_Alpha 09-27-2010 01:11 PM

Oleg

Hope the move went ok.

How is SoW handling its online service.

Currently Hyperlobby is the popular choice for pilots to host and join missions.

Will there be a new server system or will it remain the same as with IL2 1946 ?

regards

Insuber 09-27-2010 01:23 PM

Oleg I have another Q.: in IL2 we can hear the engine of approaching planes from a huge distance, so the surprise attacks are impossible. Will SoW fix this error?

Thx, Insuber

Richie 09-27-2010 01:29 PM

I remember you could here other aircraft in old 2001 IL-2 but didn't that go away in Forgotten Battles? The modders are the ones that brought it back.

steam 09-27-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

it will runing good on Vista. We almost all run it here on Vista and several guys - on W7.
I'm on XP and Vista
Oleg, does this mean that the game will be two versions of 64 and 32 bit?

Dano 09-27-2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oleg Maddox (Post 185061)
Publisher will tell it.

But it's not UBI right? :D

6S.Manu 09-27-2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insuber (Post 185069)
Oleg I have another Q.: in IL2 we can hear the engine of approaching planes from a huge distance, so the surprise attacks are impossible. Will SoW fix this error?

Thx, Insuber

This is very important to simulate realistic tactics.

Tree_UK 09-27-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oleg Maddox (Post 185061)
Publisher will tell it.

You say the publisher will tell us who they are, when will this be?

Auger73 09-27-2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stukadriver (Post 185056)
Thanks.

I would strongly suspect you are having driver issues.

I've run IL-2 on XP Pro, XP Pro x64, and Win 7 x64. Aside from the installer quirks, it runs well on all of them.

major_setback 09-27-2010 03:43 PM

Vista works perfectly for me. I even got my FF working.

camundahl 09-27-2010 04:04 PM

Holy shit Oleg, this is beautiful.

I have a feeling this game is going to have everything I wanted in IL-2 and MORE! :cool:

Amazing work, and love that night cockpit shot, awesome!

Oleg, can I PayPal you some money for being such a badass developer?

Oleg Maddox 09-27-2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insuber (Post 185069)

Thx, Insuber

This was possible only on some types of sound cards - because of their simplified drivers.
In BoB it is impossible.

Oleg Maddox 09-27-2010 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steam (Post 185075)
Oleg, does this mean that the game will be two versions of 64 and 32 bit?

Currently the answer is no, it doesn't. In future - maybe.

furbs 09-27-2010 05:10 PM

so SOW is a 32bit? havnt most PCs for at least 2 years been 64bit?