Official 1C Company forum

Official 1C Company forum (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/index.php)
-   IL-2 Sturmovik (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Oleg Maddox's Room #1 (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=2039)

jamesdietz 05-25-2008 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proton45 (Post 42265)
+1

good advise...

The only other thing I might emphasize is that you could keep one eye on the components your computer contains, you could think about what the future holds for the hardware (specs) in your rig...Q: will your socket (CPU), memory, GPU, ect...be upgradeable for some time to come.

What I have been told is that PCs and their cooling processes are going to be going in two different directions now & in the future ( this may have something to do with Motherboards,design or layout...sorry I'm not much of a computer expert..) but I'd hate to get a brand new top of the line rig only to find out Oleg and his crew have gone in a different direction.I don't mind upgrading the new rig at some future point - thats what I have done with my 5 year old HP ( which is now at the end of the line in terms of what it will handle & has been for almost two years now while I have waited for SOW...) but I'd sure hate to find out that I have chosen the wrong direction now & I'm up a creek for SOW! More advice please.... would love to wade into the bomber formations without FPS dropping to 10-12 and having to go to 1/2 speed to smooth out the fun!?

Mysticpuma 05-27-2008 04:14 PM

I'd just like to ask if we can expect to see volumetric smoke effects like BoBII: WoV has from burning planes?

Video here shows the effect a few times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lPmkkBFT8M

It looks stunning and adds so much more to the immersion. Just watch the dogfight as the 109 catches fire and the Hurricane passes over it around the 4 minutes 10 seconds mark.

This would be superb.

Cheers, MP.

Feuerfalke 05-27-2008 04:33 PM

Honestly that smoke looks a little Hollywood-Style to me. At this speed, how could smoke-puffs of that size appear directly behind the machine?

Oktoberfest 05-28-2008 08:00 AM

I'm with Feuerfalke on this one. It doesn't look realistic at all ....

Kira 05-28-2008 12:25 PM

I don't doubt volumetric smoke will be in SoW, how could he leave it out if he wants the engine to last? And as Oleg already got the smoke right in IL2, I see no reason why anybody should worry about it looking unnatural like in the vid.

proton45 05-28-2008 01:05 PM

I'm sure they will use some type of "particle" rendering process....

Feuerfalke 05-28-2008 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proton45 (Post 42516)
I'm sure they will use some type of "particle" rendering process....

If they just used the oldfashioned 2D-sprites, they'll get kicked where it hurts. ;)

proton45 05-28-2008 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feuerfalke (Post 42518)
If they just used the oldfashioned 2D-sprites, they'll get kicked where it hurts. ;)

true...

the primary issue that sooooo many people seem to be concerned with is the issue of how light will be rendered in "BoB SoW". Almost all of the graphics questions I read can be boiled down to an inquiry about (real time?) "light rendering"...weather someone wants to know about reflections, mist, smoke, fire, clouds, tree's, "depth of field", whatever...it's ALL an issue of "light rendering" in one way or another.

Some people have expressed concern over OpenGL's ability to render "state-of-the-art" lighting effects (vs micro$ofts DirectX), but I hear that some interesting work has been done in the field of "real time" light rendering within the OpenGL standard... Oleg has already stated that (any) delay(?) with "BoB SoW's" release is not due to the delay in the OpenGL 3.0 standard, so we can assume (I guess) that he has been working within the 2.1 graphics core spec's... I wonder who's work (or theory) his light rendering will be based on?

Feuerfalke 05-28-2008 04:41 PM

That's correct. I remember several discussions at the UBIboards, refering to the statement of OpenGL being used for SoW and the doubts and fears connected to that. Somebody stated, that SoW will look photorealistic at highest settings, even considering the routines already implemented.

It was stated that all effects of the DirectX-Engine are possible with OpenGL, too, and lets not forget that Eyecandy-Games like Doom3 or ETQW use OpenGL, too.

Considering the experience Maddox Games has with OpenGL, I expect some very nice eyecandy in BoB. :grin:

too-cool 05-29-2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evgeny (Post 25487)
Here you can ask your questions addressed to Oleg and share your thoughts about the game. But, please, behave decently and don't deluge Oleg with senseless all the same questions, read the messages before posting. Oleg is very busy person, be ready for waiting for answers a bit.
Thank you in advance.

In the FMB Menu there is a objects menu with a object sub menu, there are some 700+ objects listed there by #1, #2 and so on, you have to roll the mouse over the numbered item to see what it is. Question, is there a printed list or chart that identify each of these items with-out having to scroll through the list hoping to find what you are looking for?