Official 1C Company forum

Official 1C Company forum (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/index.php)
-   Daidalos Team discussions (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/forumdisplay.php?f=202)
-   -   Hey TD ..! Another is this doable post! (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=40087)

Bearcat 06-12-2013 01:20 AM

Hey TD ..! Another is this doable post!
 
Hey is it possible to be able to toggle the icon distances to feet or meters? As it is now they are set at meters if I am not mistaken.. I don't know how doable that is though... Sort of like a variant on the speedbar toggle..

RPS69 06-12-2013 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 504607)
Hey is it possible to be able to toggle the icon distances to feet or meters? As it is now they are set at meters if I am not mistaken.. I don't know how doable that is though... Sort of like a variant on the speedbar toggle..

Man, get used on the metric system. The USA, is almost the last place on earth still officialy using imperials. The british are slowly accepting them, but for once changing anyway.

If you need converting so much just mentally multiply by 3. If you want precision, after mutliplying, add 10%. You may also multiply by 3.3

If you want it in yards, just multiply meters by 1.1, or add a 10%.

I agree that instruments on brittish and american aircraft are in imperials, but for using Icons, nowadays a mere offline activity, come on!

Still, I guess that the answer to your question, is undoubtedly, YES!... but in two weeks...

IceFire 06-12-2013 03:17 AM

While metric is ideal for me (unfortunately being stuck halfway between metric and Imperial and US) and that's how I play IL-2... from a historical standpoint since so many gunsights and cockpit systems use various measurement systems I think this is a pretty reasonable request.

If it were a modern day shooter then I think metric is the only way to go (and that tends to be represented in most if not all representations of those) but for a historical sim having distances on the icons show up in different measurement systems used at the time seems reasonable.

Pursuivant 06-12-2013 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 504607)
Hey is it possible to be able to toggle the icon distances to feet or meters?

+1. I thought that this was already possible, but I guess that I was wrong.

IceFire 06-12-2013 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pursuivant (Post 504618)
+1. I thought that this was already possible, but I guess that I was wrong.

Just the speed bar.

EJGr.Ost_Caspar 06-12-2013 07:14 AM

Should be aligned to speedbar setting then. :P

horseback 06-13-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPS69 (Post 504616)
Man, get used on the metric system. The USA, is almost the last place on earth still officialy using imperials. The british are slowly accepting them, but for once changing anyway.

If you need converting so much just mentally multiply by 3. If you want precision, after mutliplying, add 10%. You may also multiply by 3.3

If you want it in yards, just multiply meters by 1.1, or add a 10%.

I agree that instruments on brittish and american aircraft are in imperials, but for using Icons, nowadays a mere offline activity, come on!

Still, I guess that the answer to your question, is undoubtedly, YES!... but in two weeks...

You may not appreciate how hard it is to make the conversion to metric measures for the Brits and us Americans (who have the double penalty of our crappy basic educational system). I'm sure it was just as hard for your ancestors converting to metric a century or two ago, but it's hard to grow up in one system of weights, volume and measures and then convert to a new one, no matter how logical it is.

Y'know, I've been doing the math in my head ever since the late 1960s when I was swimming competitively in pools measured by yards for my high school team and then swimming in pools measured in meters for my AAU team during the summers, but metric isn't really 'real' to me. I just never got the same feeling of accomplishment from doing a 500m Freestyle in under 5:30 that I got from doing a quarter mile Free in under 4:15...

I can look at a piece of lumber and know instantly that it's an inch thick and about 6 feet long by about 15 inches wide, but I have to do the math in my head to get the metric equivalents--and even then, if I don't write them down, I'll have to do it all over again later. When I'm trying to do an acceleration comparison and noting the altitude variations between 10kph intervals, a climb or a drop of 30 m doesn't sound like much until I realize that hey, that's as high as a building at least eight stories high (no wonder I lost a second or two compared to the more level intervals in other runs)!

Have a little compassion for us ignoramuses.

cheers

horseback

IceFire 06-13-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EJGr.Ost_Caspar (Post 504630)
Should be aligned to speedbar setting then. :P

I think that's logical :)

SuperEtendard 06-13-2013 01:03 AM

I have the same 'feeling' that horseback has but in the oposite, from meter to feet, yard, mile :) ...

MicroWave 06-13-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horseback (Post 504698)
You may not appreciate how hard it is to make the conversion to metric measures for the Brits and us Americans (who have the double penalty of our crappy basic educational system). I'm sure it was just as hard for your ancestors converting to metric a century or two ago, but it's hard to grow up in one system of weights, volume and measures and then convert to a new one, no matter how logical it is.

Y'know, I've been doing the math in my head ever since the late 1960s when I was swimming competitively in pools measured by yards for my high school team and then swimming in pools measured in meters for my AAU team during the summers, but metric isn't really 'real' to me. I just never got the same feeling of accomplishment from doing a 500m Freestyle in under 5:30 that I got from doing a quarter mile Free in under 4:15...

I can look at a piece of lumber and know instantly that it's an inch thick and about 6 feet long by about 15 inches wide, but I have to do the math in my head to get the metric equivalents--and even then, if I don't write them down, I'll have to do it all over again later. When I'm trying to do an acceleration comparison and noting the altitude variations between 10kph intervals, a climb or a drop of 30 m doesn't sound like much until I realize that hey, that's as high as a building at least eight stories high (no wonder I lost a second or two compared to the more level intervals in other runs)!

Have a little compassion for us ignoramuses.

cheers

horseback

Don't worry about it. At least we have units of time in common.
Well, until someone decides that 24 hours per day makes no sense and we should introduce new hour unit which will be 10 new hours per day, 100 new minutes per new hour and 100 new seconds per new minute.

Of course, working hours will still be 8 new hours per day. So people can more easily adjust to new time measuring units.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 1C Company. All rights reserved.