Official 1C Company forum

Official 1C Company forum (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/index.php)
-   IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/forumdisplay.php?f=189)
-   -   Cliffs of Dover is the Best. (A few screenshots). (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=33161)

MB_Avro_UK 07-10-2012 10:02 PM

Cliffs of Dover is the Best. (A few screenshots).
 
Hi all,

There has been a lot of negative talk here about the viability of this sim.

Let's take a look at these screenshots. Superb!!

Hurricane with DM.

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...709_200255.jpg

Spitfire demise...

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...709_210354.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...709_210435.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...709_210513.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...709_210702.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...709_210749.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...709_210827.jpg

And a few more pics:

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...710_173745.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...710_174727.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...710_175324.jpg


Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

Freycinet 07-10-2012 10:38 PM

lovely screenies indeed, thanks for posting!

_YoYo_ 07-10-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB_Avro_UK (Post 443361)
Hi all,

There has been a lot of negative talk here about the viability of this sim.

Just only screenies....

[youtube]76HkmgTcoDI[/youtube]

Regards.

Chivas 07-10-2012 10:56 PM

Hopefully the coders are up to the task and beancounter patient enough for COD to see its full potential.

Momod 07-10-2012 11:07 PM

Superb Work! This game is full of potential...:-)

Marmusman 07-11-2012 01:09 AM

+1

JG52Krupi 07-11-2012 01:35 AM

http://s5.postimage.org/lo4g4zjqv/sh...510_231903.jpg

:D enough said!

Sailor Malan 07-11-2012 01:49 AM

Great screen shots avro :) Sadly I believe that they screweing this sim up. It was better for me when first released as I had no issues that mattered. I feel its getting worse as they try and make it run on older machines and that is causing all the problems with cod just my 2 cents worth:) When you look at those shots it makes you reliese that this could be the greatest sim yet bit sadly people are pissed off with the waiting

ATAG_Doc 07-11-2012 04:10 AM

http://i.imgur.com/AnGjq.jpg

He111 07-11-2012 06:07 AM

..and if we had a proper (1946) mission recorder, i'd have produced a PLETHORA more videos and missions for promotion and consumption ..

Great photos! :grin:

.

MB_Avro_UK 07-11-2012 08:55 PM

Stuka v Spitfire
 
Hi all,

I'm not trying to hijack the screenshot thread. I'm only posting screenies from the 'Front' if that makes sense. I have no ability or skills with photoshop etc.

Anyway, here's a few close-up screenies of a Spitfire v Stuka. The Stuka is a Tiger Tank to shoot down. Maybe I need .50's ?? :cool:

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...710_200552.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...710_203606.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...710_203633.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...710_203740.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...710_203759.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...710_203821.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...710_203843.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...710_203957.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...710_204132.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...710_204608.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...710_204648.jpg


Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

kristorf 07-11-2012 09:23 PM

Ground and lighting (pre bets/alpha whatever) are stunning

http://s6.postimage.org/hudbvsdmp/PR_Q_6.jpg

http://s6.postimage.org/9q57r1r7l/PR_Q_7.jpg

Les 07-12-2012 02:26 AM

I like the way the lighting and landscape looks in this video (best viewed in 1080p expanded mode on Youtube). Don't know of another combat flight sim that's done it so well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVonurTwby0

MB_Avro_UK 07-12-2012 09:11 AM

A great video, Les. Thanks for posting. And a twist at the end!

il_corleone 07-12-2012 10:54 AM

I Agree, its the best :)

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/5...071200001q.jpg

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1...2071200003.jpg

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3...2071200004.jpg



some fresh for the Thread ;)

zipper 07-12-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _YoYo_ (Post 443384)
Just only screenies....

[youtube]76HkmgTcoDI[/youtube]

Regards.


While this looks pretty good it raises a VERY big question concerning damage related flight modeling. How a hurricane could simply glide on after losing nearly a ton from about four feet forward of the original CG ... lol.

TomcatViP 07-13-2012 09:29 AM

Yes it is a serious flaw in that sim.

Gourmand 07-13-2012 09:35 AM

easy to be the best when it's the only ww2 simulator next-gen ;)


for me is the best and the worst at the same time ;)
both is in this soft ;)
and community wait a lot for the reducing of the worst, with taking great pleasure with the best:rolleyes:

Trumper 07-13-2012 12:00 PM

Some nice details BUT where's the soul of the B o B,the hundreds of bombers crossing the coastline,the squadrons of Hurricanes clawing into the bombers with the fighter escort snapping away ,the Spitfires attempting to turn the tables on the escort.

ems9 07-13-2012 12:04 PM

Well said mate!
People sometimes don't release they have a masterpiece in their hands!
Really nice SS's!

Les 07-13-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trumper (Post 444257)
Some nice details BUT where's the soul of the B o B,the hundreds of bombers crossing the coastline,the squadrons of Hurricanes clawing into the bombers with the fighter escort snapping away ,the Spitfires attempting to turn the tables on the escort.

If the game can survive at all, it might just be a matter of waiting for the hardware to catch up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hruTCx74iZw

Blackdog_kt 07-13-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les (Post 444398)
If the game can survive at all, it might just be a matter of waiting for the hardware to catch up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hruTCx74iZw

Yup. Just yesterday i was fumbling about in the FMB trying to make a bombing practice map. I laid down rows of tankers to construct a "grid" of sorts at sea level, so that i can then aim at the center of it and see how off center my bombs drop.

Well, i ended up with about 650 static ships and a slideshow, so i had to go back and revise things a bit :-P

However, despite the amount of objects clustered together, the mission did load and the game didn't crash. There are contemporary sims out there that have a cap of about 200 objects per mission before they start crashing, so i guess that as CoD is getting optimized and better hardware comes around we'll be able to get really massive scenarios.

SiThSpAwN 07-13-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackdog_kt (Post 444417)
Yup. Just yesterday i was fumbling about in the FMB trying to make a bombing practice map. I laid down rows of tankers to construct a "grid" of sorts at sea level, so that i can then aim at the center of it and see how off center my bombs drop.

Well, i ended up with about 650 static ships and a slideshow, so i had to go back and revise things a bit :-P

However, despite the amount of objects clustered together, the mission did load and the game didn't crash. There are contemporary sims out there that have a cap of about 200 objects per mission before they start crashing, so i guess that as CoD is getting optimized and better hardware comes around we'll be able to get really massive scenarios.

Not to derail the thread further, but I think the problems with the game are half coding and half being ahead of its time, if you look at the scale of the map and all the details...

Tavingon 07-13-2012 06:11 PM

Really looking forward to the day when we can have GIANT battles!

Jaws2002 07-13-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Cliffs of Dover is the Best
Yes it was. :(


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nshot13603.jpg


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...423_014013.jpg

robtek 07-13-2012 11:08 PM

What do ya mean, " it was"???

Some people like to revel in bad predictions, it seems.

Peaveywolf 07-13-2012 11:25 PM

So many negative people out there. you have bought the game already. You ain't getting a refund. One day it will be sorted out. Until then, get on with your lives. ;)

fox3 07-14-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB_Avro_UK (Post 443361)

Screenshots hmmm what about actual gameplay?

fox3 07-14-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB_Avro_UK (Post 443361)

When it runs as well as Rise of flight then maybe. ;)

JG52Krupi 07-14-2012 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robtek (Post 444555)
What do ya mean, " it was"???

Some people like to revel in bad predictions, it seems.

he means try and get a picture like the first one he posted...

EDIT: in fact try to get both...

fox3 07-14-2012 04:02 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzZiIByxgQA

SKUD 07-14-2012 06:42 AM

Why does it look like crafp now. Aliasing, pop up trees, dumbed down textures, streaky sky, rubic's cube textures. Every "improvement" since the first release has made the graphics worse. I was really happy two releases ago. As soon as I praised it in this forum, the screwed around with the graphics quality in two successive patches that not only made it look like hell it actually slowed my FR down.
There are video options settings for people who won't upgrade their crummy machines.
Why does the rest of the world have to suffer for their poor performance?
Quit yer Bi chin and go mow lawns or something for a new vid card.

He111 07-14-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fox3 (Post 444606)

yeah, those old games bring back memories ..

.

ems9 07-14-2012 01:35 PM

Comparing CloD and RoF IMO is quite pointless to be honest.

Yes RoF runs better.
But CloD visually got much better ground details, plane details, lights shadows etc etc. Plus the flight models and all the other stuff that we don't actually see working on the background. (They are still working on it)

People shout stop pointing only to the down points, and actually watch the good ones.

Blackdog_kt 07-14-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN (Post 444420)
Not to derail the thread further, but I think the problems with the game are half coding and half being ahead of its time, if you look at the scale of the map and all the details...

I more or less agree ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fox3 (Post 444569)
When it runs as well as Rise of flight then maybe. ;)

When the same amount of money and time has been poured into the project, it could very well do run that well.

Honest question, where you around for the launch of that one? I was and i didn't buy it because of the online requirement, but kept following it in case they dropped it. They didn't and i moved on with other things, but i have a very clear memory of how things went during the first year or so after its release because i was following the news.

So, do you know how long it took to get RoF to the standard you are familiar with now? 18 months.

That's for a sim with a constant revenue stream due to the business model chosen and much lower demands on behalf of the engine:

-planes not rendering further than 2km from you (no, not even dots, they were simply invisible outside that range to conserve resources)

-an empty frontline where artillery shells explode on non-existent targets after being fired from non-existent guns (in other words, scripted events to spice things up)

-an inability to handle more than 200 or so objects in a single mission...trying to run a mission on a ROF server similar to the CoD ones used on ATAG was simply no go, the whole thing crashed

-all aircraft mounted guns having the same ballistic characteristics, it made no difference if you were firing spandaus or Lewis guns, the bullets, muzzle velocities, effect on DM were all the same.

and so on.

I remember all the complaints about the long distance ground textures turning low detail, the bad multi-core optimization, anti-aliasing not working, crashed to desktop, slow progress of updates and patches, etc etc etc.

Does it sound familiar? :-P


Quote:

Originally Posted by SKUD (Post 444634)
Why does it look like crafp now. Aliasing, pop up trees, dumbed down textures, streaky sky, rubic's cube textures. Every "improvement" since the first release has made the graphics worse. I was really happy two releases ago. As soon as I praised it in this forum, the screwed around with the graphics quality in two successive patches that not only made it look like hell it actually slowed my FR down.
There are video options settings for people who won't upgrade their crummy machines.
Why does the rest of the world have to suffer for their poor performance?
Quit yer Bi chin and go mow lawns or something for a new vid card.

Options, yes. Elitism, no. Respect other users and mind your language, at least until you decide to start paying for their upgrades. Then you have grounds to complain if they don't upgrade their PCs ;)


Also, to everyone else, keep the thread on topic. This thread is to discuss what you like about CoD and give some examples (stories/after action reports, screenshots, etc). If you want to talk about the things you don't like, open a new thread. It's not like someone is preventing you from creating new topics. If you keep derailing this one, posts will be moved/deleted.

hiro 07-14-2012 09:31 PM

yes this game is sweet. TY for the shots

Sometimes it helps to remember just how awesome it is


that hurricane looks it was undergoing engine repair in the HMS Elizabeth (you know the the mega airship aircraft carrier with triple runways and two cross over runways using American Helium. ) and it got bumped out of the hanger bay and fell out the back during uber turbulence.



yeah for those complaining about the ROF, man don't you know ROF is the new 1946.

It is the spiritual and literal successor to Il-2 1946, so its right to make comparisons. Because if ya ain't doing it right, ya ain't doin it wrong, so this is why they keep singing the ROF song.



Doesn't matter if apples or oranges grow on different trees, they don't taste the same, and the method of accessing the edible part is unique to each fruit, because the orange is the new apple or the apple the new orange, you can compare them.


Because both games have props, both use piston engine airplanes, they've got machine guns, so its the same.


Shoot man, in the simhq forums they're (ROF fans) are even saying the ROF engine is better for the A-10 then DCS' :!:

MB_Avro_UK 07-14-2012 09:53 PM

Anyway, back on topic.

Here's a few more raw and untouched screenshots. This time, we see a Blenheim attacking a Me 109:cool: Amazing optimism with a single machine gun. (Both aircraft AI)

Out of the sun...!!!

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...712_205412.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...712_204652.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...712_204707.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...712_204752.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...712_204920.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...712_205030.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...712_205321.jpg


I remember with il2 1946 when making co-ops, that the AI Blenheim would become a fighter after dropping it's bombs.


Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

fox3 07-14-2012 11:21 PM

But you can fly though the trees. :confused:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLrpBLDWyCI

JG52Krupi 07-14-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fox3 (Post 445065)
But you can fly though the trees. :confused:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLrpBLDWyCI

If RoF is so good fox3 piss off and play it instead of bringing your trolling behaviour over here!

fox3 07-14-2012 11:58 PM

Hmmm think i may of hit a nerve. :cool:

SQB 07-15-2012 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fox3 (Post 445073)
Hmmm think i may of hit a nerve. :cool:

Nah, the main thing is that every second post in this thread is you pointing out the same things in ROF. Sure, it runs better, so does Il2 Forgotten Battles, it's an older and more simple engine so that's a given. Yes, it's in a more polished state, once again it's had years to get there (and it had a similarly rough start). Most of us are ROF players as well, although the game has started to get a little behind the times for me (unfortunately). It's not a contest, and threads like these are great for sharing pictures and highlighting little details made possible by such an advanced engine, your multitude of posts don't contribute much to this discussion.

Bewolf 07-15-2012 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fox3 (Post 445073)
Hmmm think i may of hit a nerve. :cool:

I think you are unnerving. This is the Il2 CoD Forum, not the RoF Foum.

catito14 07-15-2012 01:22 AM

Come on guys, ROF is an WW1 sim ... with airplanes less complicated to operate than the WW2 ones therefore less complicated to simulate.

fox3 07-15-2012 01:57 AM

ROF is awsome dont you think? ;)

Jaws2002 07-15-2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

I think you are unnerving. This is the Il2 CoD Forum, not the RoF Foum.

You know a game (and community) is going down the drain when mods and fanboys try to remove or suppress any mention of other games in the forum.

We used to chat with Oleg about other flight sims and games and now, when someone mentions another flight sim, ten guys jump in for "damage control". :(

We used to have a high resolution screenshots thread on UBI, that ran for years, and we posted tons of images about other games and people were never this offended by it.

It's really sad.:(

kristorf 07-15-2012 08:52 AM

The original screenshot thread has been moved and buried in the 'Pilots Lounge' (for some reason??) if you want to see more screens

Blackdog_kt 07-15-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaws2002 (Post 445150)
You know a game (and community) is going down the drain when mods and fanboys try to remove or suppress any mention of other games in the forum.

We used to chat with Oleg about other flight sims and games and now, when someone mentions another flight sim, ten guys jump in for "damage control". :(

We used to have a high resolution screenshots thread on UBI, that ran for years, and we posted tons of images about other games and people were never this offended by it.

It's really sad.:(

It's not the discussion of other sims that's boring, in fact most people here fly other sims as well. It's the attitude with which it is usually brought to the table, ie "don't fly this, fly that instead", like a negative advertisement or something.

I agree with what you say partly, but the truth is that when every single thread tends to go down the same road it's all the more difficult to maintain some balance. What i'm trying to say is that if certain people (not all, just a few really and i'm definitely not pointing the finger at you) could sort out their manners a little bit, we wouldn't need to be keeping such a tight leash on the place and as a result discussions could broaden up a bit. It's a "help me help you" situation ;)

Jaws2002 07-15-2012 06:31 PM

I know they moved it. What I was trying to say is that, in the old UBIzo "Il2 high resolution screenshots" thread, we posted a lot of shots from other games and nobody complained about it.
Now as soon as someone mentions another game some people feel that CLOD is treatened in some way and start complaining or worse. I've seen mods jump in and move simple, honest informative threads (info that a new patch was avaible for ROF) away from the general discission. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm not at all interested in looking at screenshots from this game, as most of the beauty was chopped off.

carguy_ 07-15-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaws2002 (Post 445361)
Now as soon as someone mentions another game some people feel that CLOD is treatened in some way and start complaining or worse. I've seen mods jump in and move simple, honest informative threads (info that a new patch was avaible for ROF) away from the general discission. :rolleyes:

Talking about another game`s pros and good ideas where applicable is never bad. Making a RoF forum out of CloD forum is.

Quote:

Anyway, I'm not at all interested in looking at screenshots from this game, as most of the beauty was chopped off.
Then please another time choose to avoid such threads as RoF screenshot thread is elswhere.

JG52Uther 07-15-2012 08:04 PM

Of course, theres always the possibility of someone perma banned a long time ago for trolling the forums re registering just to spam any positive CoD threads with RoF info.
Just off to check a few things.

s_goretsky 07-15-2012 08:06 PM

I completely agree that CloD is the best, even considering its flaws.

JG52Krupi 07-15-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaws2002 (Post 445150)
You know a game (and community) is going down the drain when mods and fanboys try to remove or suppress any mention of other games in the forum.

We used to chat with Oleg about other flight sims and games and now, when someone mentions another flight sim, ten guys jump in for "damage control". :(

We used to have a high resolution screenshots thread on UBI, that ran for years, and we posted tons of images about other games and people were never this offended by it.

It's really sad.:(

I know what you mean and i am all for a comparison BUT if i went on the rof forum and spammed about cod i would be banned...

there should be a rof subforum ;)

ATAG_Bliss 07-15-2012 09:03 PM

ROF has gotten many of it's kinks worked out over 3 years. But it will never be anything more than a dog fight game. There's no ground war to support the air war. There's not even any real trenches in the game - both in the in game map or even as an object for the mission builder. Kinda important in WWI don't ya think?

With that said, it runs smooth to a point. But this point is because server hosters know what they are limited with. IE - they have to make missions with this in mind. You try to build some sort of WWI scenario and your mission won't even load or it would simply crash the Dserver. You can't even have as many AI as I have fingers in an online mission or the server is toast. Around 50 players is all you can have online, taking into account that in order to do that you can't really have any AI (3 AI in a mission don't count), can't have hardly any ground objects, or any other objects in general, all this directly relates to the games master browser where it must phone home and control everything. Any sort of overage, too many objects, too many players, too many people dropping bombs at once (yes - really), and the master server (ET phone home) loses connection and the server crashes.

In other words, what you are left with is flying around in a baron wasteland with no front lines, no objects, and hardly any players - dog fight game. With that said, this isn't a jab at the ROF team. They've polished what they've got to work with quite well. They keep adding more things for realism - just like they finally made all the guns have different rates of fires, instead of every single machine gun on every plane being exactly the same. But you can only polish the engine from which you started so much. Those restrictions/limitations will always be part of that game. Therefore ROF will never be anything other than a dogfight simulator. To some people that's perfectly fine, to others like me that see it, it's not. I played ROF from the start and harped about the limitations and just like any sim forum was met with the people with the blinders on attacking me for trying to make the sim better.

Now, Cliffs on the hand has more problems than I can list. But the one problem it doesn't, which IMO is the #1 thing any company should look at in making a sim, is the engine itself. Sure the game engine has problems, but that's not my point. My point is, it was made to support massive amounts of players, objects, planes, etc. It might run like absolute dog crap, but I can throw 1000 AI into the air at once and the game won't crash. My GFX card might turn into a blow torch, but it loads. I can throw 10's of thousands of objects into a mission and throw it on a server or load it through the FMB and again, my game won't crash, server won't crash etc. It might take me 45 minutes to join the damn server. But I eventually can. This is what I call the foundation of something great. This is why I will support these guys until they've said the doors are closing. If all these issues get sorted, this will be the best combat flight sim ever made, right next to the old best flight sim ever made (46).

Many things are frustrating - the bugs, communication lines, the amount of time to get some sort of fixes happening. But in the end of the day, there's no other sim that has anywhere near the amount of potential this does. Broken or not, one only needs to open up the mission builder for both games and notice ROF has about as many objects in it's entirety to use for a mission as IL2COD does just in types of fences. They've painstakingly modeled thousands of objects for a reason. I'm hopeful that someday we'll get to see that.

Coming to this forum and preaching about ROF is pointless. It's a fine game for the airquake. But it will never resemble anything else. Even the owner of ROF stated to "fix" the game engine would cost millions and they aren't going to do it. That's the same time I finally said buying scarves, pistols, water, fuel, and temp gauges, gun sights etc., was enough.

ParaB 07-15-2012 09:25 PM

The problem is that RoF is simply great fun, offline as well as online, while CloD isn't. Simple as that.

I'm looking forward to many more years with RoF and DCS, while I follow the sad joke that is CloD development half crying, half laughing.

Feathered_IV 07-16-2012 01:36 AM

True enough that RoF is working well and it's ok if a bit of enthusiasm for it bubbles over into here. Willfully spamming it like Stigler1 used to do with targetware stuff on Ubi back in the day is not on. It just turns more people away than it attracts.

@ Bliss, thanks for the info. I read that with great interest. Always fascinating to know what goes on under the hood.

Chivas 07-16-2012 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAG_Bliss (Post 445420)
ROF has gotten many of it's kinks worked out over 3 years. But it will never be anything more than a dog fight game. There's no ground war to support the air war. There's not even any real trenches in the game - both in the in game map or even as an object for the mission builder. Kinda important in WWI don't ya think?

With that said, it runs smooth to a point. But this point is because server hosters know what they are limited with. IE - they have to make missions with this in mind. You try to build some sort of WWI scenario and your mission won't even load or it would simply crash the Dserver. You can't even have as many AI as I have fingers in an online mission or the server is toast. Around 50 players is all you can have online, taking into account that in order to do that you can't really have any AI (3 AI in a mission don't count), can't have hardly any ground objects, or any other objects in general, all this directly relates to the games master browser where it must phone home and control everything. Any sort of overage, too many objects, too many players, too many people dropping bombs at once (yes - really), and the master server (ET phone home) loses connection and the server crashes.

In other words, what you are left with is flying around in a baron wasteland with no front lines, no objects, and hardly any players - dog fight game. With that said, this isn't a jab at the ROF team. They've polished what they've got to work with quite well. They keep adding more things for realism - just like they finally made all the guns have different rates of fires, instead of every single machine gun on every plane being exactly the same. But you can only polish the engine from which you started so much. Those restrictions/limitations will always be part of that game. Therefore ROF will never be anything other than a dogfight simulator. To some people that's perfectly fine, to others like me that see it, it's not. I played ROF from the start and harped about the limitations and just like any sim forum was met with the people with the blinders on attacking me for trying to make the sim better.

Now, Cliffs on the hand has more problems than I can list. But the one problem it doesn't, which IMO is the #1 thing any company should look at in making a sim, is the engine itself. Sure the game engine has problems, but that's not my point. My point is, it was made to support massive amounts of players, objects, planes, etc. It might run like absolute dog crap, but I can throw 1000 AI into the air at once and the game won't crash. My GFX card might turn into a blow torch, but it loads. I can throw 10's of thousands of objects into a mission and throw it on a server or load it through the FMB and again, my game won't crash, server won't crash etc. It might take me 45 minutes to join the damn server. But I eventually can. This is what I call the foundation of something great. This is why I will support these guys until they've said the doors are closing. If all these issues get sorted, this will be the best combat flight sim ever made, right next to the old best flight sim ever made (46).

Many things are frustrating - the bugs, communication lines, the amount of time to get some sort of fixes happening. But in the end of the day, there's no other sim that has anywhere near the amount of potential this does. Broken or not, one only needs to open up the mission builder for both games and notice ROF has about as many objects in it's entirety to use for a mission as IL2COD does just in types of fences. They've painstakingly modeled thousands of objects for a reason. I'm hopeful that someday we'll get to see that.

Coming to this forum and preaching about ROF is pointless. It's a fine game for the airquake. But it will never resemble anything else. Even the owner of ROF stated to "fix" the game engine would cost millions and they aren't going to do it. That's the same time I finally said buying scarves, pistols, water, fuel, and temp gauges, gun sights etc., was enough.

I agree....everytime I look into the FMB I'm amazed at all the work put into it. If they ever get the game engine optimized and stable, the missions you will be able to build with the FMB, Triggers, etc will make COD what everyone expected along time ago. Hopefully the development will be able to indure and grow along with our home computer systems. It will harken back to the fun of the original series only with alot more immersion.

KG26_Alpha 07-16-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB_Avro_UK (Post 445027)
Anyway, back on topic.




I remember with il2 1946 when making co-ops, that the AI Blenheim would become a fighter after dropping it's bombs.


Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

Anything with a fixed forward firing gun, it seems, turns into a fighter.

A20
B25
Pe2
Stukas
HS129
Vals
etc etc

philip.ed 07-17-2012 11:06 AM

I agree to everything Bliss wrote. But the sad fact is that the engine is entirely useless if it is never efficiently worked with to achieve its potential. Or to at least achieve a sim that runs well and meets the high expectations previous flight-sims have laid out.

It's like owning a race-horse which has the potential to be the best in the world, but never training it efficiently to meet its potential. Unless the CloD engine is fixed/manipulated correctly, CloD will never be anything other than a channel scrap, which is why the comparisons to RoF are almost laughable, because in its current state CloD is only a dogfight/intercept-scrap at best.

It can be so much more.

ATAG_Bliss 07-17-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philip.ed (Post 445800)
.... CloD will never be anything other than a channel scrap, which is why the comparisons to RoF are almost laughable, because in its current state CloD is only a dogfight/intercept-scrap at best.

It can be so much more.

Strange - I can only assume you don't play cliffs online or ROF online for that matter? There's already easily 20x more going on in an online Cliffs mission than you could possible ever have in ROF. And that is taking into account all the stuff that doesn't work. In other words, you're right in saying you can't compare the 2. I think I have more objects as AAA at 3 airfields than you could have in an entire ROF mission, let alone the rest of the 100's of bombers, 1000's of objects that make up targets, ships etc..

I'd much rather have the potential for something, that something that is being worked on, than a game that runs well that is maxed out with absolutely nothing to do. But that's just me.

philip.ed 07-17-2012 04:29 PM

I should have added, Bliss, that I'm a 100% offliner and that's what my views are based on.

I agree with you completely about potential. But then we haven't considered the plans for RoD: a channel map, updated water effects and physics which highlight the engine isn't completely at it's full potential. It is still being tweaked. I think the issue with RoF is that the game current has a lot of interest, and drastic engine changes can upset this (as I think we may be seeing with CloD).

Specht 07-17-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAG_Bliss (Post 445420)
(...) Around 50 players is all you can have online (...)

I've played on a server of 74 people and did not experience frame rate loss nor internet lag/warping.

Didn't even bother reading the rest.

JG52Krupi 07-17-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philip.ed (Post 445856)
I should have added, Bliss, that I'm a 100% offliner and that's what my views are based on.

That explains a lot :D

The single player of ROF is great compared to the online, the AI was bad for a while though.

SiThSpAwN 07-17-2012 05:00 PM

For those wanting ROF:CloD, I give you War Thunder: World of Planes. (except that you can earn a lot of planes with XP and dont have to buy them all) ;)

Specht 07-17-2012 05:10 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love ROF, I play it everyday, but I don't want Cliffs of Dover to be like ROF, I just want it to be what it was promised to us, what we all expected for all those years waiting for its release...

ATAG_Bliss 07-17-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Specht (Post 445859)
I've played on a server of 74 people and did not experience frame rate loss nor internet lag/warping.

Didn't even bother reading the rest.

I call BS. As someone who ran a server for ROF with the absolute best hardware available. I watched this problem all the time. I was a beta tester as well constantly preaching about it.

And considering there's only 2 servers in all of ROF (2 servers that never get any players) that have their player limit set over 75. That should give you hint, or maybe some insight as to I know what I'm talking about.

Here's the master browser issue thread. Note the server hosters stating the amount of players before things go to crap: http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewto...?f=353&t=24508

Some days it's less than 30 players and master browser quits which inturn kills the server. I guess the people running servers know less than you? Riiight.

SiThSpAwN 07-17-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Specht (Post 445865)
Don't get me wrong, I love ROF, I play it everyday, but I don't want Cliffs of Dover to be like ROF, I just want it to be what it was promised to us, what we all expected for all those years waiting for its release...

Well then I dont get why people bring other sims into this forum. I like flying RoF, although I am not a big WWI sim fan, I love Falcon BMS, I love DCS and all its bits and pieces, I love what I have right now in IL2 (and love the thought of more to come). I have all these installed on my machine, they all have short comings, they all have things I dont really care for, but I am glad I have them, in whatever form I can get them.

That doesnt excuse the mess the IL2 is currently, but until an announcement comes that they stopped working on it, I am waiting patiently for the next patch.

Specht 07-17-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAG_Bliss (Post 445869)
I call BS. As someone who ran a server for ROF with the absolute best hardware available. I watched this problem all the time. I was a beta tester as well constantly preaching about it.

And considering there's only 2 servers in all of ROF (2 servers that never get any players) that have their player limit set over 75. That should give you hint, or maybe some insight as to I know what I'm talking about.

Here's the master browser issue thread. Note the server hosters stating the amount of players before things go to crap: http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewto...?f=353&t=24508

Some days it's less than 30 players and master browser quits which inturn kills the server. I guess the people running servers know less than you? Riiight.

It's not about knowing how servers work, it's about witnessing a fact, and it was a fact that the server was full for hours on a Sunday and I did not experience any problems at all.

ATAG_Bliss 07-17-2012 05:43 PM

And what server was it? I just logged into the game and the only 2 that even have a high enough player limit is O people or J99, both servers that I've hardly ever seen more than 10 players on. I'm thinking you witnessed 24 instead.

But by all means, next time it happens, please post up a screen shot. I can't wait.

Specht 07-17-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAG_Bliss (Post 445880)
And what server was it? I just logged into the game and the only 2 that even have a high enough player limit is O people or J99, both servers that I've hardly ever seen more than 10 players on. I'm thinking you witnessed 24 instead.

But by all means, next time it happens, please post up a screen shot. I can't wait.

Syndicate server, on Sundays it runs more historically accurate missions which attracts a higher number of players.

Oh yeah, great time to look at the server, just wait a few hours, Syndicate gets around 40-50 players at prime time UK, I usually get back from work and play with 40+ players for a couple of hours before the europeans start going to bed, and yes, I will take a screenshot next time, might even try to ask the Syndicate guys for some server stats of the day that I saw it full.

ATAG_Bliss 07-17-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Specht (Post 445884)
Syndicate server, on Sundays it runs more historically accurate missions which attracts a higher number of players.

Oh yeah, great time to look at the server, just wait a few hours, Syndicate gets around 40-50 players at prime time UK, I usually get back from work and play with 40+ players for a couple of hours before the europeans start going to bed, and yes, I will take a screenshot next time, might even try to ask the Syndicate guys for some server stats of the day that I saw it full.

So there was 74 players in a server that has a player limit of 70? Alrighty then, I see it's quite pointless talking to you.

Edit: I like how you're now calling me names on another forum. I find it bad enough to resort to insults, but it's much lesser of a person to try to hide somewhere else to do it. I even gave you a thread on their official forums to try and show you that the problems exist. If there was 74 players on a server. A.) that server would have to change their server player limit. From a problem solving point of view, the only reason you would ever change the limit is because you made that much lesser of a mission to be able to handle it in ROF. Again, working around the real problem - which as others in this thread (players) seem to know about. Just not you.

Specht 07-17-2012 06:46 PM

Yes, I called you an ignorant on the other forum, for you are ignoring facts presented to you.

No, I did not hide it anywhere, it's on an open forum that you and anyone else has access to.

ATAG_Bliss 07-17-2012 06:51 PM

So you come into a forum stating a server that has a player limit set of 70 ran perfectly with 74 players. 1st of all that is impossible.

Secondly, the reason hosters set limits in the 1st place is because of the FACTS I already stated. Words can't describe your stupidity. Thanks for sharing.

kristorf 07-17-2012 06:53 PM

Hmmm, not seen a screenshot for the last four pages, interesting innit...........(more like the usual crock..)

SiThSpAwN 07-17-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAG_Bliss (Post 445903)
So you come into a forum stating a server that has a player limit set of 70 ran perfectly with 74 players. 1st of all that is impossible.

Secondly, the reason hosters set limits in the 1st place is because of the FACTS I already stated. Words can't describe your stupidity. Thanks for sharing.

That isnt exactly true... what if 4 of those 70 players had dual personalities... pretty sure that makes 74... I think he just pwned you :)

Specht 07-17-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAG_Bliss (Post 445903)
So you come into a forum stating a server that has a player limit set of 70 ran perfectly with 74 players. 1st of all that is impossible.

Secondly, the reason hosters set limits in the 1st place is because of the FACTS I already stated. Words can't describe your stupidity. Thanks for sharing.

And you still insist on being wrong, I don't get why you are so angry just because I said 74 players, just because you are looking at the player limit now doesn't mean it wasn't 74 players before, and you have absolutely no idea for what reason they lowered the limit, what you state is a possibility, but still it's just an assumption you came up with.

And now YOU resort to insults, hypocrite.

ATAG_Bliss 07-17-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Specht (Post 445910)
And you still insist on being wrong, I don't get why you are so angry just because I said 74 players, just because you are looking at the player limit now doesn't mean it wasn't 74 players before, and you have absolutely no idea for what reason they lowered the limit, what you state is a possibility, but still it's just an assumption you came up with.

And now YOU resort to insults, hypocrite.

How am I upset or wrong? I just look at facts, actually even linking to those facts directly from other people/hosters that experience the problems I cited. This is called evidence. Whether you want to read them all (right in front of your face on the ROF forums) is totally up to you.

Are you new to flight simming or ROF? The issues I speak of are pretty widely known about in the ROF community.

Taxman 07-17-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristorf (Post 445904)
Hmmm, not seen a screenshot for the last four pages, interesting innit...........(more like the usual crock..)

And still no screenshots after three more posts with more to come with no screen shots:rolleyes:

ATAG_Bliss 07-17-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristorf (Post 445904)
Hmmm, not seen a screenshot for the last four pages, interesting innit...........(more like the usual crock..)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taxman (Post 445921)
And still no screenshots after three more posts with more to come with no screen shots:rolleyes:

Sorry gents.

Here's some:

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/8467/explosion1.jpg

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/7516/explosion2.jpg

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/1185/explosion3.jpg

Specht 07-17-2012 08:25 PM

Was gonna move the discussion to PM's, but apparently his inbox is full, oh well, I'm done with this.

SYN_Jed 07-17-2012 08:43 PM

Just for the record, we run 75 limit (74 human,1 server) on Vintage missions on a Sunday and 71 limit (70 human, 1 server) on weekdays...carry on :P

kristorf 07-17-2012 08:45 PM

http://s6.postimage.org/hwtkv629t/ZD_A_3.jpg

http://s6.postimage.org/vf0h7gef5/ZD_A_4.jpg





http://s6.postimage.org/qcj5co54x/ZD_A_1.jpg

Click on pic for full size

Blackdog_kt 07-17-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Specht (Post 445902)
Yes, I called you an ignorant on the other forum, for you are ignoring facts presented to you.

No, I did not hide it anywhere, it's on an open forum that you and anyone else has access to.

Bliss was a member of Syndicate, the squad who runs that server.

In other words i suspect he knows what he's talking about, if not from direct personal experience, then from what the guys who managed the server and designed the missions would communicate to the squad :-P

I would also like to say, guys please be calm and don't bash each other, especially when you are being off-topic :grin:

Let's get back to the screenshots ;)

RCAF_FB_Orville 07-17-2012 09:05 PM

Yep Jed, I can personally vouch for that fact, and here is a screenie to prove it. This is a regular occurrence (68 at the time of screen but actually full before)*, I have seen it full or 70+ numerous times, and had no problems personally. Sprecht knows exactly what he is talking about.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/x...9-32-17-71.png

kristorf 07-17-2012 09:10 PM

Gents,
Can we move away from RoF and CLoD servers on a SCREENSHOT thread, there is a thread/section for multiplayer and to be truthfull its getting boring now.

Many thanks

RCAF_FB_Orville 07-17-2012 09:14 PM

Agreed.

kristorf 07-17-2012 09:31 PM

http://s6.postimage.org/889imn8ch/Climb_shoot_3.jpg

MB_Avro_UK 07-22-2012 09:53 PM

One Survivor.
 
The Blenheim Squadrons suffered very badly during the Battle of Britain. Attacking the invasion barges in daylight was not a good tactic for survival...but the job had to be done.

Three Blenheims attack invasion barges in daylight.
http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...721_120815.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...721_121145.jpg

This will not end well...
http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...721_121300.jpg

The loneliness of the long distance gunner.
http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...721_121301.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...721_121301.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...721_125150.jpg

Death of a gunner.
http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...721_125216.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...721_125228.jpg

Only one Blenheim returns to the English coast.
http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...721_130453.jpg

A Spitfire escorts the damaged Blenheim as she loses altitude.
http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...721_131401.jpg

Down at last.
http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...721_132945.jpg



Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

philip.ed 07-22-2012 11:33 PM

Nice photos! But the job of attacking the invasion barges didn't need to be done. An invasion was impossible. Hitler didn't want to pursue it (he was focused on Russia. Why would he invade our 'great Germanic nation'?) and, in any case, the Royal Navy would repel any possible invasion force the Germans could muster. River barges are made for rivers. Was it Jodl who said: 'launching an invasion would be like sending my troops into a mincing machine'.

MB_Avro_UK 07-23-2012 10:40 AM

The debates will always continue:cool:

But nevertheless,these actions did take place.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

pupo162 07-23-2012 11:34 AM

...and why do we need 2 screenshot threads?

kristorf 07-23-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pupo162 (Post 447630)
...and why do we need 2 screenshot threads?

I asked that one, but I suppose as the original one has been buried in the 'Pilots Lounge', no-one see's it now

MB_Avro_UK 07-23-2012 08:51 PM

Maybe there's room for both threads?

Perhaps this thread is best seen as comprising simple screenshots and the other thread as comprising enhanced screenshots?

Perhaps as a Community, we need to explore and advertise to all the full attributes of this sim?

I am continually amazed at the detail that exists.

Best Regards,
MB_Avro.

SlipBall 07-23-2012 09:17 PM

Well I hope that they leave it here, and not move it to the pilots lounge...screenshots should be front and center at all times, in this the general page. Its good advertising for new recruits.:)

He111 07-24-2012 01:16 PM

Undamaged Walrus all at sea on the land ...

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/x...rusLegless.jpg

.

MB_Avro_UK 07-24-2012 02:07 PM

A great screenshot! The Walrus was an inspired creation...and from the same stable as the Spitfire.

Continu0 07-25-2012 10:48 AM

@ Bliss

With which version of the game did you capture the last screenshots you posted? The ones with the Spit attacking the airfield? Is that the latest Beta?

Thanks!

pstyle 07-25-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pupo162 (Post 447630)
...and why do we need 2 screenshot threads?

We don't "need" them. We have them.
enjoy it.

ATAG_Bliss 07-25-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Continu0 (Post 448047)
@ Bliss

With which version of the game did you capture the last screenshots you posted? The ones with the Spit attacking the airfield? Is that the latest Beta?

Thanks!

I wish :(

I believe it was the patch before the latest official patch - so quite a while ago.

MB_Avro_UK 07-25-2012 12:09 PM

Dorn Sun
 
Dorn Sun :cool:

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...720_212824.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...720_214012.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...720_214212.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...720_211207.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...720_211303.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...720_211312.jpg


As I've mentioned earlier, these screenshots are straight from the 'Print' key.


Best Regards,
MB_Avro

MB_Avro_UK 07-25-2012 06:57 PM

Avro Anson Antics.
 
The Avro Anson.

Although I'm pleased to have this aircraft in the sim, I would have thought that other twin engined aircraft such as the Hampden and Whitley would have taken priority. Someday soon, I hope:)

Also, RAF aircrew never wore flat-hats (peaked caps) in flight. They ALWAYS wore leather flight helmets. The pilot passenger in this Anson is wearing a flat cap:rolleyes: And he bales out in his cap and without a parachute... What a brave chap!

( Please Note. Developers-this is not a priority bug :cool:).

Anyway, the damage modeling for the Avro Anson is rather good in my opinion.


http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...725_133631.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...725_133715.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...725_133814.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...725_133847.jpg

No 'chute?
http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...725_133918.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...725_134046.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...725_134108.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/a...725_134126.jpg


I hope that this selection is of interest.


Best Regards,
MB_Anson.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 1C Company. All rights reserved.