View Single Post
Old 05-07-2016, 06:19 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudkopf View Post
G'day KG..... / VP.....

Gigabyte GeForce GTX950 xtreme gaming 2GB DDR5, or as Jeremy Clarkson would say "More Power".

Now here's hopping that my current 700W power supply is up to the task, as I'm quite sure any further expenditure for an upgrade to something larger is not something I can even start to contemplate, seeing that I had to put up my very best grovel to the Minister of Finance to get my hands on the above.

Something I'm pretty damn sure She'll be making me pay for it for at least the rest of the month if not far much longer!
700w should be well more than enough for a GTX 950. I have an EVGA GTX 950 SC+ and it only requires a 350w PSU (mine is 650w). The 950s with their new architecture are extremely efficient cards.

One thing you'll want to keep in mind is that different versions of the 950 have different power requirements. Some require a 6-pin PCIe plug while other 950s require an 8-pin PCIe plug. The stronger, more aggressively OC'ed versions (i.e. EVGA GTX 950 FTW) need more juice.

Also, make sure the plug you might have hanging loose is specifically labelled as a PCIe plug, not a standard power plug (6-pin, 8-pin, or otherwise). They're not the same thing.