View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 04:34 AM
Approved Member

Exclamation Critical Update Beta V2014-05-11 Available!

Please find attached below a critical update for those who use Build 35,234. If you are using Build 35,396 then this update simply adds new features (although it does have some more bug fixes).

There is a problem with Build 35,234 when using the LUA Game Library function LocType. This function is supposed to take an input and then output true / false depending on whether the current location type is the same as the input location type queried. No matter what the input I specify is, this function throws an internal error thereby halting execution of the current LUA script and preventing execution of subsequent LUA code.

This problem is often fatal, causing the game to crash to the desktop when the game's error-handling code continues with the next execution task and that code expects certain code to have been executed.

I currently use this function in ARENA.LUA to determine whether the location is cemetery, dungeon, etc. for reporting this at the start of combat. This is meant to allow me to debug my mod better and I can simply comment this section of code out and problem solved for this file since it is not important to anyone but me.

However, I also use Game.LocType in UNIT_FEATURES.LUA for applying several new bonuses / penalties that I have recently added. Since this function is broken and it would cause similar LUA script halts, which would invariably cause a game crash, I've decided to create a fork for Build 35,234 users so that they can still play my mod, although, technically it is no longer compatible with build 35,234 due to the bug in Game.LocType.

This development fork for Build 35,234 has Game.LocType calls commented out in ARENA.LUA and also UNIT_FEATURES.LUA as well. The unit features in UNIT_FEATURES.LUA affected by this are:
  1. (Black) Unicorn's new Blind Post Hit Effect will not apply twice the chance to blind and +1 to duration if combat takes place in dungeons (it will however still apply this bonus if it is evening or night no matter the location).
  2. Vampire / Ghost Soul drain will always be 50% power if combat takes place in the morning or afternoon regardless of the location (it normally doesn't apply for cemetery, lava, and dungeon locations).
  3. The Undead will now receive a -25% health penalty if combat takes place in the morning or afternoon regardless of the location (it normally doesn't apply for cemetery, lava, and dungeon locations).
To my knowledge, there is no way for me to get around these issues with build 35,234 because I needed to use this function due to limitations with the ATOM location / time blocks.

If you use Build 35,396, then these work as intended without the above restrictions.

For those using either build, this version adds new features and for the most part completes the initial development of adding in all the NPC's that I currently plan to use to exchange containers for Magic Crystals.

Here are the NPC's and what they exchange for Magic Crystals:

Carl Leonard - Griffin Eggs
Dragon Attah - Bone Dragon Eggs
Gelena Attahskaya - Dragon Eggs (Green, Red, Black, and Blue)
Priest Owein - (Skeleton) Coffins
Furious Paladin - (Vampire) Carved Coffins

I've also added the capability for Black Dragons to select the Power of Fire path in finer detail (so that you can outline a path just like the AI) if you are controlling them. The developers made this change in WotN and now it comes to The Legend via this update!

There are also a few bug fixes here and there - here's the detailed list of changes:

Version Beta 2014-05-11
  • *.ATOM
    • BLACKRAGON.ATOM
      • Added WotN functions to allow selection of the path of the Dragon's Power of Fire talent just like the AI uses
  • *.LUA
    • ITEMS_HINT.LUA
      • There's a situation when after talking to an NPC in a castle that they add a container (such as an egg, seed, etc.) and the Obj.get_param library function is unable to acquire the container parameters for displaying the container variant text. So I added code to brute force set the Obj.get_param's if they are returning empty strings by setting the values to what they should be in ITEMS_MONSTER.TXT. The unfortunate part of this is that if I change something in ITEMS_MONSTER.TXT, then I have to change it here as well, but at least I've gotten around this problem now.
    • SPECIAL_ATTACKS.LUA
      • New WotN function special_blackdragon_firepower_attack for implementing the damage caused by Power of Fire (I integrated my changes of the function special_blackdragon_firepower (which is the original script attack) into the WotN function).
      • New WotN function special_blackdragon_firepower_calccells that is the new script_calccells for the Power of Fire talent (I added a text description to aid you in what to do)
      • New WotN function special_blackdragon_firepower_highlight that highlights the cells as you click your Power of Fire path (note that the original function has the same name so it has been commented out).
      • New WotN fucntion hint_dmg_blackdragon_firepower that shows the damage to targets as you layout your path of destruction when using Power of Fire
    • SPIRITS_HINT.LUA ***BUG*** - fixed error with experience computation when your spirits are level 1 for the experience hint during combat.
  • *.CHAT
    • 1422394811.CHAT (Carl Leonard) - Now includes extra snaps and logic for selling griffin eggs to get crystals!
    • 1348067287.CHAT (Dragon Attah) - Now includes extra snaps and logic for selling bone dragon eggs to get crystals!
    • 686733070.CHAT (Gelena Attahskaya) - Now includes extra snaps and logic for selling dragon eggs to get crystals!
    • 920168865.CHAT (Priest Owein) - Now includes extra snaps and logic for selling skeleton coffins to get crystals!
    • 1155319803.CHAT (Furious Paladin) - Now includes extra snaps and logic for selling vampire coffins to get crystals!
  • *.LNG
    • EN(G)_BATTLE
      • Added bmsg_firepower_1 and 2 for aiding you in selecting the Black Dragon's Talent, Power of Fire, path.
    • EN(G)_CHAT_0002578364_1422394811.LNG (Carl Leonard) - added additional dialog for changes to *.CHAT indicated above
    • EN(G)_CHAT_0353666255_1348067287.LNG (Dragon Attah) - added additional dialog for changes to *.CHAT indicated above
    • EN(G)_CHAT_0389231472_0686733070.LNG (Gelena Attahskaya) - added additional dialog for changes to *.CHAT indicated above
    • EN(G)_CHAT_0997083665_0920168865.LNG (Priest Owein) - added additional dialog for changes to *.CHAT indicated above
    • EN(G)_CHAT_1920750196_1155319803.LNG (Furious Paladin) - added additional dialog for changes to *.CHAT indicated above
    • These changes are just to give you a reminder of how many of the container you need in case you forgot and you don't have enough
      • EN(G)_CHAT_0814853819_0185019267.LNG (Lady Beaulla) - added reminders for the exchange rate to dialog options when you don't have enough to trade
      • EN(G)_CHAT_1000228560_0460900476.LNG (Frogus Bogis) - added reminders for the exchange rate to dialog options when you don't have enough to trade
      • EN(G)_CHAT_1056215454_1378754138.LNG (Old Chvakah) - added reminders for the exchange rate to dialog options when you don't have enough to trade
      • EN(G)_CHAT_1107629933_0248920890.LNG (Milk Woman, Wilma) - added reminders for the exchange rate to dialog options when you don't have enough to trade
      • EN(G)_CHAT_1237766457_0111145785.LNG (Witch Helga) - added reminders for the exchange rate to dialog options when you don't have enough to trade
Okay that's it!

The next area I want to focus on is revisiting spell power because there have been a lot of changes since I initially developed this section of the mod. Pretty much damage I'm going to leave as it is since I think it is sufficient, but I'll be looking into the power of bonus and penalty spells to see if a change is warranted.

Thanks for your patience as I fixed this problem if you're using build 35,234. Note that an email to 1CC or the vendor you got build 35,234 from is warranted since it is technically not the latest. I'm going to send another email to GoG to see if they respond to this issue because they should be using build 35,396.

I'm fortunate that I have both builds, otherwise I would have been at a loss as to what the problem with Build 35,234 was.

/C\/C\

Note that I'm no longer supporting Build 35,234 because I provide Build 35,396 here

Please see the first or last post to get the latest version.

Last edited by MattCaspermeyer; 06-01-2014 at 10:47 AM. Reason: New version available so download links removed