View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwx View Post

More personal question: have you ever overestimated your capabilities to finish some sort of a task? Have you ever had and ambitious "project" or something? And when you come to that realization, that you can't make it in time, you can choose several pathways to proceed:
1. Give up - you can just give up, and screw the whole project. It's just impossible.
2. Compromise - you can make compromises, lower your ambitions, leave out things, that could have made your project really special, but finish the work. And have something average.
3. Don't give up on your initial goal - you can go, and try to complete everything that was intended the best you can. And that's the hardest thing to do.
I understand what you are saying, and I have been there too. But this is not some little hack you do when you get home from school.
Do you know what Software Engineering is?
I don't think these guys do, but that is why it doesn't take three years to test a developed game for other game studios. All the things you describe, and much more, is part of the software engineering process, and you do all that BEFORE you start implementing the code. You make a plan on exactly what should be implemented, how it should be implemented, how it should be tested etc. When you start implementing, you already know exactly what to do, and that phase is the part that takes the least time. And because you know exactly what to do, you also know how long it will take.

Of course, its more complicated than this, but if you have done your software engineering homework properly you will have a chance to make the deadline. If you haven't, you are doomed to break it.