1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
Im listening brother, im listening real hard, but im not hearing any answers to my question(s).
Try reading then.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:46 AM

It's not rocket science to understand, that the best lies ahead. A long time out maybe 4 or 5 years and beyond before hardware can handle all that we will see and enjoy. Just be patient Tree, 5 years more, you could do that standing on your tree limbs.

p.s. great up-date team

OEM screenshots & videos of EU release
GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5

Last edited by SlipBall; 02-06-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Im listening brother, im listening real hard, but im not hearing any answers to my question(s).
If you were reading and comprehending when the developers say they are still optimizing the sim, you would understand its impossible to say what a highend computer is capable of in COD until they finish optimizing.

The more important factor is that they have optimized enough that the average comsumer with the average system will be able to play COD with adjusted options.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:58 AM
Global Moderator

Tanner you need to spend some time on this site just going through the threads. You'll find there is many times more information that has been shared on this site than the example you provided.

There are threads on this site with links to pages and pages of information.

Definitely if you had been following this website for the past year you'd know a great deal more.

Oleg and Luthier have been answering questions in this one thread for the past two days, and each week they answer questions and give interviews.

Old 02-06-2011, 07:00 AM

I can't wait for that game. I'm a huge Starwars nerd. But you can't compare that game to Cliff of Dover.

Bioware is HUGE, hundreds of employees, 150 million plus dollar budget for that game. Just a tad larger than Maddox Games.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:54 AM

Send a message via MSN to kimosabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
BTW this is what a real Developer Update looks like:

http://www.swtor.com/news/blog/20110204
And how frequent are those updates? No way in hell that's a weekly update, more like monthly or less.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Hi luthier, one more try then I will give up, you have said that you cannot fly over towns/cities/airfields on your PC because of its limitations. Ok, fair enough, what I am asking is can you fly over those same places with a better PC than yours, (a high end PC if you like) without the slow down your current PC suffers. Forget showing me a video a simple yes or no answer will be fine. I really cant put it much more simple than that.
Let me also try to be extremely clear.

1. You can fly over cities on my PCs, just not at the highest settings, or at a low resolution with no FSAA. Stutters are only apparent at low altitude. Stutters mean short dips in FPS every few seconds by about 25%.

2. Whether the world's best PC will or will not stutter over cities depends on resolution and FSAA. If you run the game on three monitors at 5760 x 1080 with 8xFSAA, you will experience stutters while flying over London at altitudes under 200 meters or so.

3. The Buildings video option limits the number of buildings on the screen and offers fluid performance while still offering a picture superior to that of Il-2.

4. FPS is highly situation-dependent. We give you a huge sandbox to play with. So I cannot possibly make any blanket statements about performance on any hardware because we give you the tools to bring the game to a screeching halt.
Any game on the market can be made to run at 0 FPS with enough action on the screen. It's just most other developers ration the action very carefully and balance the game to make sure your FPS does not dip below a set minimum. We do that with our stock campaign and online missions but we do not limit what you can do with the game by yourself. Anyone can crank up the resolution and create a large enough low-level dogfight in Cliffs of Dover that will run at 0 FPS and possibly even crash the game.

5. To sum up: your FPS depends on factors beyond your hardware. It also depends on your resolution, on your FSAA setting, and on the amount of action on the screen.

This is the last I will ever address the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecke View Post
The 64 bit question is the following.

Will you ship a 64 bit .exe on release which allows CoD to use more Ram than with 32 bit.
I'm actually not sure, I'll have to ask Monday. CoD usually sits at around 1.8 Gigs in the memory. I don't think I've ever seen it go anywhere near 3 gigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggaaar View Post
So is that likely to happen at some stage (ignore if already answered, I haven't finished reading this thread).
Our future is highly dependent on the success of CoD. If everything goes well, then yes, dynamic campaign and dynamic weather are items 1 and 2 on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolelas View Post
Mr Luthier, as you said: "We need to write a whole different chunk of code for that kind of input to be recognized properly.", are you planing to do it in the future, maybe a year or 2 from now? Or is it a dead question?
It's not a big deal to code it in, it's just the guy who could do it is buried neck-deep in other stuff. I need to play around with the Warthog some more myself before we begin to think about actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addman View Post
Hey Oleg! While you're here, will there be a Luftwaffe trainer aircraft available at release? Cheers!
No. Nor is one planned for any foreseeable future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius View Post
Hello I have maybe a stupid question about impact of position of sun during attack... Please, does anybody know if is in CoD any difference like better chance to stay unseen with sun in 6 and surprise the enemy fighters/bombers?It was quite usual tactic, so I am curious about that...
It depends on AI skill level. AI at any level checks the sky in segments, i.e scans the airspace. They also always take clouds and sun into the account.
Lower-level AI pilots have some periods when they don't scan at all. They scan a smaller overall area of the airspace. They focus on each segment longer - i.e. if he looks at his 8 o'clock you can attack him head-on and he won't spot you. Sun blots out a larger portion of the sky for them.
However the sun is not a 100% blind zone and there is a chance even the dumbest idiot will see you coming out of the sun, chances increasing the closer you are to his 12 o'clock high.

In the end, since you're rarely aware of your opponent's skill level, this results in a very realistic picture. You're never sure whether he breaks and turns into you from 3 miles away, or if you can keep sneaking up on him for a no-deflection shot at 50 yards. Very frustrating when you end up holding your fire just a second too long, and he spots you and breaks away after sitting dead square in your sights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman69 View Post
Oleg, can you tell us more about how you coded joystick inputs for CoD? Do you still use the X, Y, Z axis? ie.. 10 20 30 40 50 ...100 ? Is this input customizable by the player?
No, it's much more advanced. We have different customization options for different axes. For example you can not only adjust the curves but also set your idle, 100% and WEP positions for the throttle axis. I'm pretty sure this could be seen in some Igromir videos.

Last edited by luthier; 02-06-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered_IV View Post
Thanks for the update Luthier. Nice to see the "human" element in the vid. Hopefully we'll all develop a similar cackle soon.

By the way, do you know if Oleg got the email I sent regarding this?:

Wiek Luijken is willing and able and happy to offer his services to Oleg.
Hi again Luthier. I wonder if you'd seen this one earlier. Wiek Luijken is an aviation artist and fan of the Il-2 series. He would be happy to work with you.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:26 AM

Thanks Luthier, very interesting hearing about the AI...sounds very good,

I have a couple more questions about the AI if you dont mind...

Do you know how the AI reacts to damage to their airplane,will they try and break off and run for home?

And does the AI try and use real world tactics, Boom and zoom, attack from the sun, neg G dives, hit and run(one pass and away, not staying to fight to the death like IL2) and such?

How does the AI suffer from engine overheat, fly untrimed, suffer from high G and blackouts?

Would also be interesting to know if the AI will know if not to attack when at a disadvantage...low and slow

I know there are limits to what the AI can do and im not saying all this should be possible...just wondering how far COD has taken the AI.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to us Sim nuts.

PS. any chance of seeing a nice weathered 109?

Last edited by furbs; 02-06-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:29 AM

Thank you for the info luthier very interesting!
Shame that the Bf 108 is out of the question of becoming flyable.
But then I guess one can never say never?
Closed Thread