1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthier View Post
Let me also try to be extremely clear.

1. You can fly over cities on my PCs, just not at the highest settings, or at a low resolution with no FSAA. Stutters are only apparent at low altitude. Stutters mean short dips in FPS every few seconds by about 25%.

2. Whether the world's best PC will or will not stutter over cities depends on resolution and FSAA. If you run the game on three monitors at 5760 x 1080 with 8xFSAA, you will experience stutters while flying over London at altitudes under 200 meters or so.

3. The Buildings video option limits the number of buildings on the screen and offers fluid performance while still offering a picture superior to that of Il-2.

4. FPS is highly situation-dependent. We give you a huge sandbox to play with. So I cannot possibly make any blanket statements about performance on any hardware because we give you the tools to bring the game to a screeching halt.
Any game on the market can be made to run at 0 FPS with enough action on the screen. It's just most other developers ration the action very carefully and balance the game to make sure your FPS does not dip below a set minimum. We do that with our stock campaign and online missions but we do not limit what you can do with the game by yourself. Anyone can crank up the resolution and create a large enough low-level dogfight in Cliffs of Dover that will run at 0 FPS and possibly even crash the game.

5. To sum up: your FPS depends on factors beyond your hardware. It also depends on your resolution, on your FSAA setting, and on the amount of action on the screen.

This is the last I will ever address the topic.

I'm actually not sure, I'll have to ask Monday. CoD usually sits at around 1.8 Gigs in the memory. I don't think I've ever seen it go anywhere near 3 gigs.

Our future is highly dependent on the success of CoD. If everything goes well, then yes, dynamic campaign and dynamic weather are items 1 and 2 on the list.

It's not a big deal to code it in, it's just the guy who could do it is buried neck-deep in other stuff. I need to play around with the Warthog some more myself before we begin to think about actions.

No. Nor is one planned for any foreseeable future.

It depends on AI skill level. AI at any level checks the sky in segments, i.e scans the airspace. They also always take clouds and sun into the account.
Lower-level AI pilots have some periods when they don't scan at all. They scan a smaller overall area of the airspace. They focus on each segment longer - i.e. if he looks at his 8 o'clock you can attack him head-on and he won't spot you. Sun blots out a larger portion of the sky for them.
However the sun is not a 100% blind zone and there is a chance even the dumbest idiot will see you coming out of the sun, chances increasing the closer you are to his 12 o'clock high.

In the end, since you're rarely aware of your opponent's skill level, this results in a very realistic picture. You're never sure whether he breaks and turns into you from 3 miles away, or if you can keep sneaking up on him for a no-deflection shot at 50 yards. Very frustrating when you end up holding your fire just a second too long, and he spots you and breaks away after sitting dead square in your sights.

No, it's much more advanced. We have different customization options for different axes. For example you can not only adjust the curves but also set your idle, 100% and WEP positions for the throttle axis. I'm pretty sure this could be seen in some Igromir videos.

Wow Luthier, some seriously advanced AI going on there. I like it.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:48 AM

it looks awesome luthier. very, very exciting.

can i be so bold as to ask about your korean war project. i'm guessing it's on the backburner somewhat?

is it still a chance to see the light of day?

cheers.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:54 AM

"Our future is highly dependent on the success of CoD"

I think this is a key point that everyone should take note of. Those of you who say you are holding off because this or that feature isn't making the initial release - please think again. These guys have been busting a gut to bring us the greatest simulator of all time. The least we can do is support them when the critical time comes. Without our support there will be no further improvements and the series we've all come to take for granted will die. A publisher needs to see sales. No sales, no future investement.

Think about it.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:04 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Foo'bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wutz View Post
Thank you for the info luthier very interesting!
Shame that the Bf 108 is out of the question of becoming flyable.
But then I guess one can never say never?
Since when a 108 is a trainer? And where did luthier say that the 108 won't gonna be flyable in any time?

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 | CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.3 GHz | Mainboard: ASRock P67 Pro3 | RAM: Corsair 16GB DDR3-1600 | Video: Gigabyte GTX 560Ti OC - 285.62 Drivers | Drive 1: Corsair Force3 120GB SSD (OS) | Drive 2: 1TB HDD | Power: Corsair TX650V2 | Cooling: Corsair Hydro H60 | OS: Windows 7-64 HP | Inputs: Saitek Cyborg 3D - 2 x Saitek Throttle Quadrant - TrackIR 5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 2443 @ 1920x1200
Old 02-06-2011, 10:26 AM

Hi Luthier,

How are the Flight Models done? Parametric, fluidodynamic as in X-Plane, mixed ? Are they different from Il-2 ones, or just an evolution of them?

Cheers,
6S.Insuber
Old 02-06-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered_IV View Post
Hi again Luthier. I wonder if you'd seen this one earlier. Wiek Luijken is an aviation artist and fan of the Il-2 series. He would be happy to work with you.
this is the publishers department now i think
Old 02-06-2011, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the info. It is good to know we have full control of the visuals. For looking at recorded video I like to turn graphics to max and turn down the speed of playback.
It is especially good to be able to do this for recording purposes.

Flying online as Setback.

Last edited by major_setback; 02-06-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo'bar View Post
Since when a 108 is a trainer? And where did luthier say that the 108 won't gonna be flyable in any time?
Ok I guess I mixed up the plane types there, but a German trainer would be nice in time, as British planes where not really used on the German side in great numbers, unless they where "souveniers" picked up along the way.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthier View Post
Let me also try to be extremely clear.

1. You can fly over cities on my PCs, just not at the highest settings, or at a low resolution with no FSAA. Stutters are only apparent at low altitude. Stutters mean short dips in FPS every few seconds by about 25%.

2. Whether the world's best PC will or will not stutter over cities depends on resolution and FSAA. If you run the game on three monitors at 5760 x 1080 with 8xFSAA, you will experience stutters while flying over London at altitudes under 200 meters or so.

3. The Buildings video option limits the number of buildings on the screen and offers fluid performance while still offering a picture superior to that of Il-2.

4. FPS is highly situation-dependent. We give you a huge sandbox to play with. So I cannot possibly make any blanket statements about performance on any hardware because we give you the tools to bring the game to a screeching halt.
Any game on the market can be made to run at 0 FPS with enough action on the screen. It's just most other developers ration the action very carefully and balance the game to make sure your FPS does not dip below a set minimum. We do that with our stock campaign and online missions but we do not limit what you can do with the game by yourself. Anyone can crank up the resolution and create a large enough low-level dogfight in Cliffs of Dover that will run at 0 FPS and possibly even crash the game.

5. To sum up: your FPS depends on factors beyond your hardware. It also depends on your resolution, on your FSAA setting, and on the amount of action on the screen.

This is the last I will ever address the topic.

Thank you Luthier, that information is very useful, just one more question if I may, are there any plans to weather the 109 before release?

Many Thanks
Old 02-06-2011, 10:35 AM

Thumbs down Ugly cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered_IV View Post
Hi again Luthier. I wonder if you'd seen this one earlier. Wiek Luijken is an aviation artist and fan of the Il-2 series. He would be happy to work with you.
This cover has been showed many times now and no answer. You will not get one. UBISOFT decides on the cover and it seems to me it has already been decided. The cover is not nice. It doesn't portray the Battle of Britain, and what is that long hair doing on it?
Closed Thread