1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #351  
Old 02-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Sutts Sutts is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthier View Post
Let me also try to be extremely clear.

1. You can fly over cities on my PCs, just not at the highest settings, or at a low resolution with no FSAA. Stutters are only apparent at low altitude. Stutters mean short dips in FPS every few seconds by about 25%.

2. Whether the world's best PC will or will not stutter over cities depends on resolution and FSAA. If you run the game on three monitors at 5760 x 1080 with 8xFSAA, you will experience stutters while flying over London at altitudes under 200 meters or so.

3. The Buildings video option limits the number of buildings on the screen and offers fluid performance while still offering a picture superior to that of Il-2.

4. FPS is highly situation-dependent. We give you a huge sandbox to play with. So I cannot possibly make any blanket statements about performance on any hardware because we give you the tools to bring the game to a screeching halt.
Any game on the market can be made to run at 0 FPS with enough action on the screen. It's just most other developers ration the action very carefully and balance the game to make sure your FPS does not dip below a set minimum. We do that with our stock campaign and online missions but we do not limit what you can do with the game by yourself. Anyone can crank up the resolution and create a large enough low-level dogfight in Cliffs of Dover that will run at 0 FPS and possibly even crash the game.

5. To sum up: your FPS depends on factors beyond your hardware. It also depends on your resolution, on your FSAA setting, and on the amount of action on the screen.

This is the last I will ever address the topic.



I'm actually not sure, I'll have to ask Monday. CoD usually sits at around 1.8 Gigs in the memory. I don't think I've ever seen it go anywhere near 3 gigs.



Our future is highly dependent on the success of CoD. If everything goes well, then yes, dynamic campaign and dynamic weather are items 1 and 2 on the list.



It's not a big deal to code it in, it's just the guy who could do it is buried neck-deep in other stuff. I need to play around with the Warthog some more myself before we begin to think about actions.



No. Nor is one planned for any foreseeable future.



It depends on AI skill level. AI at any level checks the sky in segments, i.e scans the airspace. They also always take clouds and sun into the account.
Lower-level AI pilots have some periods when they don't scan at all. They scan a smaller overall area of the airspace. They focus on each segment longer - i.e. if he looks at his 8 o'clock you can attack him head-on and he won't spot you. Sun blots out a larger portion of the sky for them.
However the sun is not a 100% blind zone and there is a chance even the dumbest idiot will see you coming out of the sun, chances increasing the closer you are to his 12 o'clock high.

In the end, since you're rarely aware of your opponent's skill level, this results in a very realistic picture. You're never sure whether he breaks and turns into you from 3 miles away, or if you can keep sneaking up on him for a no-deflection shot at 50 yards. Very frustrating when you end up holding your fire just a second too long, and he spots you and breaks away after sitting dead square in your sights.



No, it's much more advanced. We have different customization options for different axes. For example you can not only adjust the curves but also set your idle, 100% and WEP positions for the throttle axis. I'm pretty sure this could be seen in some Igromir videos.


Wow Luthier, some seriously advanced AI going on there. I like it.
  #352  
Old 02-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Ctrl E Ctrl E is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 250
Default

it looks awesome luthier. very, very exciting.

can i be so bold as to ask about your korean war project. i'm guessing it's on the backburner somewhat?

is it still a chance to see the light of day?

cheers.
  #353  
Old 02-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Sutts Sutts is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 566
Default

"Our future is highly dependent on the success of CoD"


I think this is a key point that everyone should take note of. Those of you who say you are holding off because this or that feature isn't making the initial release - please think again. These guys have been busting a gut to bring us the greatest simulator of all time. The least we can do is support them when the critical time comes. Without our support there will be no further improvements and the series we've all come to take for granted will die. A publisher needs to see sales. No sales, no future investement.

Think about it.
  #354  
Old 02-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Foo'bar's Avatar
Foo'bar Foo'bar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Niedersachsen, Deutschland
Posts: 663
Send a message via Skype™ to Foo'bar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wutz View Post
Thank you for the info luthier very interesting!
Shame that the Bf 108 is out of the question of becoming flyable.
But then I guess one can never say never?
Since when a 108 is a trainer? And where did luthier say that the 108 won't gonna be flyable in any time?
__________________

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 | CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.3 GHz | Mainboard: ASRock P67 Pro3 | RAM: Corsair 16GB DDR3-1600 | Video: Gigabyte GTX 560Ti OC - 285.62 Drivers | Drive 1: Corsair Force3 120GB SSD (OS) | Drive 2: 1TB HDD | Power: Corsair TX650V2 | Cooling: Corsair Hydro H60 | OS: Windows 7-64 HP | Inputs: Saitek Cyborg 3D - 2 x Saitek Throttle Quadrant - TrackIR 5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 2443 @ 1920x1200
  #355  
Old 02-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Insuber's Avatar
Insuber Insuber is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Paris - France
Posts: 1,406
Default

Hi Luthier,

How are the Flight Models done? Parametric, fluidodynamic as in X-Plane, mixed ? Are they different from Il-2 ones, or just an evolution of them?

Cheers,
6S.Insuber
  #356  
Old 02-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Abbeville-Boy Abbeville-Boy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered_IV View Post
Hi again Luthier. I wonder if you'd seen this one earlier. Wiek Luijken is an aviation artist and fan of the Il-2 series. He would be happy to work with you.
this is the publishers department now i think
  #357  
Old 02-06-2011, 10:28 AM
major_setback's Avatar
major_setback major_setback is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lund Sweden
Posts: 1,354
Default

Thanks for the info. It is good to know we have full control of the visuals. For looking at recorded video I like to turn graphics to max and turn down the speed of playback.
It is especially good to be able to do this for recording purposes.
__________________
All CoD screenshots here:
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g260/restranger/

__________


Flying online as Setback.

Last edited by major_setback; 02-06-2011 at 10:40 AM.
  #358  
Old 02-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Wutz's Avatar
Wutz Wutz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo'bar View Post
Since when a 108 is a trainer? And where did luthier say that the 108 won't gonna be flyable in any time?
Ok I guess I mixed up the plane types there, but a German trainer would be nice in time, as British planes where not really used on the German side in great numbers, unless they where "souveniers" picked up along the way.
  #359  
Old 02-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Tree_UK Tree_UK is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthier View Post
Let me also try to be extremely clear.

1. You can fly over cities on my PCs, just not at the highest settings, or at a low resolution with no FSAA. Stutters are only apparent at low altitude. Stutters mean short dips in FPS every few seconds by about 25%.

2. Whether the world's best PC will or will not stutter over cities depends on resolution and FSAA. If you run the game on three monitors at 5760 x 1080 with 8xFSAA, you will experience stutters while flying over London at altitudes under 200 meters or so.

3. The Buildings video option limits the number of buildings on the screen and offers fluid performance while still offering a picture superior to that of Il-2.

4. FPS is highly situation-dependent. We give you a huge sandbox to play with. So I cannot possibly make any blanket statements about performance on any hardware because we give you the tools to bring the game to a screeching halt.
Any game on the market can be made to run at 0 FPS with enough action on the screen. It's just most other developers ration the action very carefully and balance the game to make sure your FPS does not dip below a set minimum. We do that with our stock campaign and online missions but we do not limit what you can do with the game by yourself. Anyone can crank up the resolution and create a large enough low-level dogfight in Cliffs of Dover that will run at 0 FPS and possibly even crash the game.

5. To sum up: your FPS depends on factors beyond your hardware. It also depends on your resolution, on your FSAA setting, and on the amount of action on the screen.

This is the last I will ever address the topic.

.


Thank you Luthier, that information is very useful, just one more question if I may, are there any plans to weather the 109 before release?

Many Thanks
  #360  
Old 02-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Peffi Peffi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 52
Thumbs down Ugly cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered_IV View Post
Hi again Luthier. I wonder if you'd seen this one earlier. Wiek Luijken is an aviation artist and fan of the Il-2 series. He would be happy to work with you.
This cover has been showed many times now and no answer. You will not get one. UBISOFT decides on the cover and it seems to me it has already been decided. The cover is not nice. It doesn't portray the Battle of Britain, and what is that long hair doing on it?
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:18 AM.

Based on a design by: Miner Skinz.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 1C Company. All rights reserved.