1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > FM/DM threads

FM/DM threads Everything about FM/DM in CoD

Old 03-11-2012, 07:37 PM

Default Bullet holes

I'm curious about how the bullet holes are modeled. I was under the impression that every mg bullet was modeled, and was marked where the player actually hit the opposing players plane. First off, I'm going say that I'm no expert in weapons or historical ballistics of early war weapons.. but I did do some quick research and found that the Browning 303 machine gun fired at roughly 1100-1200 rounds per minute. Wether the aircraft version was toned down a bit to enhance reliability.. is a possibility, My point being is that with 8 of them throwing rounds down range.. there should be a lot more bullet holes in an aircraft when getting a good hit on one. Not the (seemingly random one here and there). There should also be a pattern also. If I strafe a wing or fuselage.. the bullets should be in a line of some sort...as the bullets traveled in the direction I was traveling.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbs67 View Post
I'm curious about how the bullet holes are modeled. I was under the impression that every mg bullet was modeled, and was marked where the player actually hit the opposing players plane. First off, I'm going say that I'm no expert in weapons or historical ballistics of early war weapons.. but I did do some quick research and found that the Browning 303 machine gun fired at roughly 1100-1200 rounds per minute. Wether the aircraft version was toned down a bit to enhance reliability.. is a possibility, My point being is that with 8 of them throwing rounds down range.. there should be a lot more bullet holes in an aircraft when getting a good hit on one. Not the (seemingly random one here and there). There should also be a pattern also. If I strafe a wing or fuselage.. the bullets should be in a line of some sort...as the bullets traveled in the direction I was traveling.

Agreed, in reality some aircraft returned with hundreds of .303 holes in them.
I believe all bullets are modelled in terms of hit boxes but the graphics i.e. smoke trails and hit marks are considerably reduced for performance reasons.

I haven't hard evidence to support this but I do seem to remember some oleg comments years ago.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:11 PM

I remember them saying that they modelled the hit graphically, but I don't believe it having given Jerry a thrashing many times but still seeing him largely intact.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:50 PM

i will trust them about bullets (and probably about alot of other things) when i'll see the promised acrobatic aircraft burning under my shots.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Approved Member

I agree... that not every single bullet hole is viewable in the game.
And it would be nice to have an option to have all single bullet holes visible, for high-end PCs.
It would be nice to check all our single bullets' hits on an enemy airplane.
It would really add a new and cool aspect of the game never been implemented in a sim before.
Maybe in the future ... Let's hope.
Cheers
Old 03-14-2012, 09:26 PM

yeah let's hope! Truth is that the current level of 3d model detail would surely allow for such a feature, and it was in the original talks. At the moment we still have the pre-programmed damage like on IL-2, but I think it was a placeholder for the definitive version. It will be there someday, maybe for Battle of Moscow?