1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 04-29-2012, 03:30 AM

Default My game is better

Hi. I know you all are very disappointed in Luthier. I am too. As you may recall, I declared that CloD is dead to me several months ago. I wrote a very long post and Tree said it was the best post of the year! Of course, I totally agree with that assessment and I don’t mean to “toot my own horn” here.

Anyway, I decided instead of moping , I would fix CloD myself and kill STEAM So I started teaching myself to be a programmer a few months ago. My journey is going okay so far. I made my first game a few weeks ago. Of course, I wrote it in C++ because it is the best language for writing games. Only a bonehead would use C# (lol). Below are some screen shots. Notice how fast the fps is??? This is because C++ is very good. Also, I can honestly say, I like this game way better than CloD. I can play it for hours on end. It’s really great when you get more than one yahtzee because you get 100 points instead of 50 points!

I would like to give special acknowledgements to Bjarne Stroustrup and Oleg Maddox for giving inspiration to make my own video games that run very fast on my computer, like IL-2 1946 does.

Okay, got that off my chest. I’m good for a while now.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-29-2012, 03:57 AM
Approved Member

You could make a fortune writing awesome games like the old Atari River Raid which is guaranteed to play well regardless of hardware.

... and then there was the version of Doom ported across for use on linux text based green screen terminals.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:37 AM
Approved Member

One wot I wrote earlier (2003? Borland Delphi):

Apart from a minor glitch (window needs maximising to lose the scrollbar) works fine in Win 7.
Head tracking: TrackIR 5. Sore neck: See previous.

Last edited by AndyJWest; 04-29-2012 at 04:41 AM. Reason: nope - written in 2003 or thereabouts
Old 04-29-2012, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBlaster View Post
IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/33jl7p1.jpg[/IMG]
Modify your roll? Having never soberly played yahtzee and have no idea of the actual rules, I demand you give the player an option of full real and refuse to play your travisty of a game untill you modify it to my explicite requirements. How dare you fail to release this game when I would not play it even if you did and would still complain about the cost even if it was free and you accompanied the distribution media with a crisp $10.00 note!

Just joking of course! Programming text based games if a good way of picking up the fundimentals of programming and using data structures.

How about revisiting c# ? we need more script writers.

if(Player.Name=='SkoshiTiger')
{
for(1=0; i<=100;i++)
Player.Aircraft.RandomFailure();
}

Old 04-29-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post
.. for(1=0; i<=100;i++)...
You don't happen to work for MG do you?
Old 04-29-2012, 07:30 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOden View Post
Oops. Yup. Code that doesn't do what it is intended to. As for what it does do, that depends. has 'i' already been initialised? Does the compiler insist that you can't assign the constant '0' to the constant '1'? Or has it read Wittgenstein, and isn't willing to commit itself? The simplest errors are often the ones that cause the most problems...
Head tracking: TrackIR 5. Sore neck: See previous.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOden View Post
No! And international laws were actually legislated to ensure that I never program professionally again!
Old 04-29-2012, 11:41 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJWest View Post
Or has it read Wittgenstein, and isn't willing to commit itself?
I thought Wittgenstein eventually went all Buddhist-like and concluded it was all just some sort of big game and hence meaningless so nothing really mattered all that much.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:13 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTE_Galway View Post
You could make a fortune writing awesome games like the old Atari River Raid which is guaranteed to play well regardless of hardware.

... and then there was the version of Doom ported across for use on linux text based green screen terminals.
OMG!!!

I have not thought about River Raid in ages.

hehe

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov