What a chore it is just to play games!! Updates and patches, mods, other mods,other things.....
Granted the games are probably better,but im glad all i have to do is stick it in a disk tray and close it haha.
P-51, you'll love the game though. I briefly played it when it first came out and loved it.
That's the only drawback FOZ but PC flightssims are immensley more powerful and PC systems can vary so much. It seems complex but its actually fairly straightforward.
Optimising IL1946 Graphics.
1. Most graphics tweaks are implemented through making changes to the Conf.ini file (not the game or set up menus which make far too many unwanted changes).
2. The Conf.ini file is in your IL1946 Directory - copy and paste it to a folder for future reference and a backup.
3. Launch game and verify you are running V4.11 in the opening loadscreen
4. At the opening menu select 'Hardware Setup' then 'Video Modes' and select OpenGL as the driver, select your screen resolution (you can change this in the conf file as well) and select to run in 'Full screen' mode. Apply changes and go back.
5. Now select Video options - you should see that virually every every option is High or excellent but no option regards 'Perfect' (this is why you have
to change the Conf.ini file to access Perfect.
6. Exit the game and navigate to your game folder.
7. Using Notepad - open the Conf.ini file in your game folder and scroll down. It contains all data regards Flightsticks, keyboard settings, as well as everything else including GFX settings.
8. The first Part of the Conf.ini file (width - height) shows your screen resolution - change this to match your monitor.
8. Now scroll down the file untill you come across [Render OpenGL] and change the values after each = sign to match those below. Once finished - save and launch IL1946.
You should be running in perfect and you can check this in the game video options menu ..it will list Perfect for ground textures.
More optimisation can be done in your GFX driver utility- go to the IL2 forum and post you GFX card make and model and ask what settings people are using for that card. Default settings should be OK for the time being.
There are hundreds of excellent campaigns and Missions available from 'Mission4Today' website but wait untill you have the game up and running and modded with all the extra ac and maps.
You will be able to practice and perfect your carrier landing/takeoff for 'Birds of Steel'. USN (F4'S) and RN (Seafire....yea!) campaigns are great and of course you will have the nimble Zero's to contend with!
BTW, some Pacific missions can take an hour or more to complete, but if you need to, you can skip waypoints and the game will automaticaly drop you into the action.........there is a 'timeskip' option in the key assignments menu.
Isn't that the HardwareShaders=1 that makes all the cool graphics appear? Guess that is too much for my Ati Mobility Radeon HD 5470
Partly, but some of the setting are dependent on wether you have a Nvidia or ATI GFX card. The settings I posted are for ATI without Texture compression. Try Hardware shaders = 1 with texture compression - your card should be able to handle it,