1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 12-28-2012, 04:32 AM

Ok now i must eat my own hat...

I took some time with WT and when i finally got a grip of the controls and staying far away from the Arcade battle i am having fun with this, i just love being back to the ostfront again, i can play this until BOS comes for sure, i hate the RPG elements like hell but other than that this is good.
The CEM seems to work but you have to enable it with a key command, you have to choose the key in the controls menu, did you do that Krupi?
Old 12-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Approved Member

I have also plaid and give up. online is a joke, small maps, too many aircrafts all zooming around at sea level except jets that do b&z and no one can catch them. you have no idea who is friednly and who is enemy, everyone shoot at everyone even in the historical.

campaigns is a joke - aircraft carriers in battle of britain. destroy ten bombers in five minutes or fail mission. stupid game unless you think xbox is the best.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planespotter View Post
I have also plaid and give up. online is a joke, small maps, too many aircrafts all zooming around at sea level except jets that do b&z and no one can catch them. you have no idea who is friednly and who is enemy, everyone shoot at everyone even in the historical.

campaigns is a joke - aircraft carriers in battle of britain. destroy ten bombers in five minutes or fail mission. stupid game unless you think xbox is the best.
I hope you didn't spend any money on it

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 12-28-2012, 01:10 PM

Remember that the game is still in beta... just saying
Old 12-28-2012, 03:30 PM

Just to be fair, I 've plyed CLOD and WT back to back...
But to be absolulty fair, WT has to be played in mission builder, where you can decide wich mission, how many planes vs planes, the kind of planes for Allied and Axis, and the year of the conflict. And Full realism.

WT wins hands down for its "immersion" value . Terrain, lighting, clouds, weather, FSAA that let you see planes in a distance, plexiglass reflexions, scratches and shadows, and "blackout f/x" are much better in WT.
And the FPS is perfect, with no stuttering...At full and max settings with a bunch of planes and explosions...Oh, and you crash if you hit a tree...And oh,
the trees that you hit will fall down and burn....That is immersion...

CLOD's cockpits are indeed better, but "blackout f/x" are a spoiler for being that bad...Planes in a distance are also quite bad. Can't comment on FM, cause nobody seems to agree on that subject. Clouds are poping in and still look bad. Tracers are better than WT. DM ? Seems ok for both games.

That 's it...But WT is still in BETA, and still have many months in development...

Salute !
Old 12-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
Just to be fair, I 've plyed CLOD and WT back to back...
But to be absolulty fair, WT has to be played in mission builder, where you can decide wich mission, how many planes vs planes, the kind of planes for Allied and Axis, and the year of the conflict. And Full realism.

WT wins hands down for its "immersion" value . Terrain, lighting, clouds, weather, FSAA that let you see planes in a distance, plexiglass reflexions, scratches and shadows, and "blackout f/x" are much better in WT.
And the FPS is perfect, with no stuttering...At full and max settings with a bunch of planes and explosions...Oh, and you crash if you hit a tree...And oh,
the trees that you hit will fall down and burn....That is immersion...

CLOD's cockpits are indeed better, but "blackout f/x" are a spoiler for being that bad...Planes in a distance are also quite bad. Can't comment on FM, cause nobody seems to agree on that subject. Clouds are poping in and still look bad. Tracers are better than WT. DM ? Seems ok for both games.

That 's it...But WT is still in BETA, and still have many months in development...

Salute !
Really have to disagree it just doesn't look right at all, it might look good but it certainly does not look realistic.

And the DMs in WT feel like I might as well have a health bar, unlike ROF and COD that use a detailed DM.

Really shoddy affair, other than graphics I would rather stick with il2:1946!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.

Last edited by JG52Krupi; 12-28-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Krupi View Post
Really have to disagree it just doesn't look right at all, it might look good but it certainly does not look realistic.

And the DMs in WT feel like I might as well have a health bar, unlike ROF and COD that use a detailed DM.

Really shoddy affair, other than graphics I would rather stick with il2:1946!!!
Hello Krupi,

What do you mean by "not realistic " ?

These are few exemples of real in cockpit flights...
So...Do they look more like CLOD or WT ?

And speaking of realistic:

Do far away planes in CLOD look realistic ? no
Do clouds in CLOD look realistic ? no
Do blackouts in CLOD look realistic ? no
And plexi reflexions ? Do terrain in CLOD look realistic ? And Buildings ? And what about the trees in CLOD?

Most of us have never flown in any of these planes in any of these locations, but at least, if it "feels" close to reality, and also looks good, we have an obvious winner in terms of "immersion" here....
I don't mean that WT is a better sim, I mean the best at making us feel we are there for real....

And if we are lucky, those DM and FM could be improved in the next few months

Salute !

Old 12-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Approved Member

Lex, don't bother, it's an argument that you can never make some people understand.

WT has by far superior graphics detail, especially in the weather and terrain (no popcorn buildings!) and the plexi as you mention is beautiful.

It seems though that no matter what you say, some people just will not dare to concede that someone else has an opinion obtuse to theirs?

Now, I DO agree with Krupi that the DM and FM in WT is nowhere near the level of CloD. The actual feeling that you get when destroying an enemy in CloD is one that makes you think it really was your skill that brought a victory, not pure blind luck.

Similarly I have no idea why WT decides to kick you out of your aircraft when it thinks your aircraft is too badly damaged. In 1946, I loved having a severly damaged aircraft and nursing it back home. That was immersion. A feeling of achievement against the odds. No such luck in WT. Belly into the ground and you'll usually explode (after being forced to watch from an external camera), get shot and damaged (but you don't think it's too bad) get forced to watch from an external camera as your aircraft barrels in.

WT in DM and FM is not a scratch on CloD and the way it seems to have progressed in the FM and DM, I don't see much change from the Alpha.

I do think though the graphics engine is much more user friendly with huge frame-rates, no discernible building pop up, really nice ground textures, weather effects, smoke effects.

I must point out the weather effects because the cloud layers are amazing with 100% opaque coverage which you can actually dive through, with no frame-rate decrease.

A video from the much maligned Wings of Prey, shows just how good, what is considered to be a poor quality sim (and I agree it's not anywhere near the level of Sim Clod is, it really is a game to me), the graphics, smoke, weather, rain should be in a current Simulation.

Let's also be honest, this type of atmospheric effect, which can be achieved in what some see as a lowly, 'you're not worthy' aircraft game, if it can be achieved in such a poor game, is the minimum we should expect to see in any game released in 2014?

So I hope that weather effects, atmospheric effects are given the consideration they deserve?

In 2012, let alone 2014, the last thing we should expect to see is pop-up buildings, pop-up clouds, pop-up aircraft, no weather and see through clouds?

CloD does many things beautifully and better than WT, but WT and WoP, do some things better.

I hope some players will at-least consider that CloD is no the shining light of everything and really could learn from what are considered to be 'rubbish' games?

If rubbish games can do what you see in the following video, the Holy Grail of simming, Cliffs of Dover should be able to do this in it's spare time?

MP

Old 12-28-2012, 08:50 PM

Hello Mystic,
Well, it is ok...In fact, when looking for some exemples to prove my point, I just realized how good , technically speaking, WT is.I had ZERO issue since I started playing few weeks ago...For the fun of it, I just pushed ALL video options to the max...60 FPS, NO stuttering, just movie like playing..I could not beleive it...CLOD ? Still very buggy and choppy in "heavy"circumstances. WT ? Never happened...
My very personnal opinion, is that Gaijin took the opposite road to development:
They priorized the playabilty, the graphics and "immersion" to get as much clients as fast as possible. Since all hardcore simmers despised Gaijin sims anyway, they choose to please a much wider audience.
The big question now, is do Gaijin wants to put money and resources to build a real FM and DM for a niche crowd ? Is the current engine capable of such a thing ? And even if their FM and DM were in fact superior to CLOD's, will they get any recognition from the elite group ?
In early 2014, BOS will be (?) released. 777 have a BIG challenge ahead of them. They are the only hope for simmers like Krupi and other HC simmers.
Gaijin raised the bar in many aspect of the genre. And that is good for all of us....

Salute !
Old 12-31-2012, 04:52 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
Well....

After some time going at this game..the demo all I can say is it's a pain in the arss. It's beautiful the flight models aren't terrible but guess what..all I've been able to fly is German biplanes. I think they give you more if you fly for hours on end and score many kills but I can't do that! Or you can buy more aeroplanes. I think I'm so use to IL-2 that anything else that is different seems garbage or totally confusing to my pea sized brain. That's probably the main problem. The only other sim that comes close to IL-2 in my opinion is Rise Of Flight witch is good for all of us. The only thing is I'm not a WWI guy.
Yes that was my take as well.. and I just didn't have the time to invest in it.. It looks nice.. the sounds are ok.. but for some reason I had continual connection issues and then there was that black screen thing where I hear the music and get no picture.. that really just annoyed the mess out of me..

MP how is the skinning in WT..? I never got that far .. is it like in WoP?

Visually WoP was great and it flew decently enough.. not IL2 not CoD.. different but for me enjoyable.. but the skinning system was horrible.. in tha if you skinned say a Mustang.. then every Mustang in the sim had the same skin..