1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 05-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Approved Member

Default My take on CoD...

I cannot really speak on how CoD was in the beginning because my rig couldn't run it very well at all. Even then though I could see the potential visually. Now that I have a decent rig and since that last official patch and now the ATAG mod I have been able to get a little more stick time on the product I am in a better position to comment on it.
First off.. it is a damn shame that this sim was not released in close to this shape. All that wasted time ... If it had been like this.. even before the mod but especially after .. in the beginning we would more liklel be on at least thye second if not the third theater by now.

It runs very smooth on my rig and the AI seem to be quite an improvement over the IL2 AI. I get a sense of flight when I go down low.. or even up high... I like the sounds. I like the way the planes handle.. They seem to handle more like aircraft and I can kick a little rudder to line up a shot and not seem like I am trying to balance my plane on a flagpole. Deflection shooting is easier to calculate.. I like the ballistics.. The lighting is great.. probably the most realistic I have ever seen.. seeing the shadows move .. having the shadow of a plane I am in a scissor with darken my pit for a few seconds really helps with immersion and SA.. In many of those little details this sim is just great.. I wish the FFB was better implemented. The stick force is very inconsistent. Another thing that I really hope gets fixed is the zoom feature.. As it is now I use the mouse on my X-52 and I have the wheel button on the throttle set as the switch so I can still get a one handed zoom but the fact that it is still a two stage command is kind of wonky to me.. also that Star Wars light speed zoom out thing needs to be fixed.. I shouldn't be able to zoom out past my seat unless I am dead and on my way to heaven (or that other place..) .. that needs to be addressed. I have to get used to the abrupt engine cut off when pulling negative Gs.. and the engine management is much more challenging.. but it is not a killer to me. I have yet to fly online .. but so far I find this very enjoyable.

Great work ATAG... I hope you guys can keep it up and maybe even expand the theaters.. Ideally it would be great if another house picked this up .. or of BoS can incorporate 75%-90% of the goodness in here ... We shall see.. but CoD is a nice piece of kit if I must say so myself.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
I cannot really speak on how CoD was in the beginning because my rig couldn't run it very well at all. Even then though I could see the potential visually. Now that I have a decent rig and since that last official patch and now the ATAG mod I have been able to get a little more stick time on the product I am in a better position to comment on it.
First off.. it is a damn shame that this sim was not released in close to this shape. All that wasted time ... If it had been like this.. even before the mod but especially after .. in the beginning we would more liklel be on at least thye second if not the third theater by now.

It runs very smooth on my rig and the AI seem to be quite an improvement over the IL2 AI. I get a sense of flight when I go down low.. or even up high... I like the sounds. I like the way the planes handle.. They seem to handle more like aircraft and I can kick a little rudder to line up a shot and not seem like I am trying to balance my plane on a flagpole. Deflection shooting is easier to calculate.. I like the ballistics.. The lighting is great.. probably the most realistic I have ever seen.. seeing the shadows move .. having the shadow of a plane I am in a scissor with darken my pit for a few seconds really helps with immersion and SA.. In many of those little details this sim is just great.. I wish the FFB was better implemented. The stick force is very inconsistent. Another thing that I really hope gets fixed is the zoom feature.. As it is now I use the mouse on my X-52 and I have the wheel button on the throttle set as the switch so I can still get a one handed zoom but the fact that it is still a two stage command is kind of wonky to me.. also that Star Wars light speed zoom out thing needs to be fixed.. I shouldn't be able to zoom out past my seat unless I am dead and on my way to heaven (or that other place..) .. that needs to be addressed. I have to get used to the abrupt engine cut off when pulling negative Gs.. and the engine management is much more challenging.. but it is not a killer to me. I have yet to fly online .. but so far I find this very enjoyable.

Great work ATAG... I hope you guys can keep it up and maybe even expand the theaters.. Ideally it would be great if another house picked this up .. or of BoS can incorporate 75%-90% of the goodness in here ... We shall see.. but CoD is a nice piece of kit if I must say so myself.

It is good that you are getting some stick time and are enjoying the game more. I can say that the original game is far more better than what we have now in the game. This condition is a result of all the patching and the rewrite of the graphic engine by MG...enjoy

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 05-08-2013, 04:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipBall View Post
It is good that you are getting some stick time and are enjoying the game more. I can say that the original game is far more better than what we have now in the game. This condition is a result of all the patching and the rewrite of the graphic engine by MG...enjoy
slipball,

since you still have an original CoD install on your pc, have you tried that stutter fix on it yet ? (the frame rate limiter thingy)

would be amazing if it worked
President Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953: Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone, it is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children
Old 05-08-2013, 05:46 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
slipball,

since you still have an original CoD install on your pc, have you tried that stutter fix on it yet ? (the frame rate limiter thingy)

would be amazing if it worked
Yes I am using that and it makes a huge difference in smoothing it out quite a bit over the channel and the rural countryside, am flying on max setting...Original game will shine with a very fast card someday, not made as of yet. I wish that the community would have asked 1C for permission to work (modding) on the original game instead of the chopped up final game.

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 05-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Approved Member

As a offline player i'm really P1ssed @ the AI, fed up with AI planes barrel rolling into the deck when pursued. I cannot play COD anymore until that is fixed.

When CLOD was first released, I had no problems because i'd just bought a top line desktop. I loved it - blue oceans, deep colouring, proper engine sounds but too many with average PCs complained and then it was downgraded, now it looks like 1946.

h
.....--oOo-- --oOo-- HE-111 --oOo-- --oOo--.....
========================================
-oOo- Intel i7-2600K (non-clocked) -oOo- GA-P67A
-oOo- DF 85 full tower -oOo- 1000W corsair
-oOo- 8 GB 1600Hz -oOo- 2 x GTX 580 1.5M (295.73)
-oOo- 240 SSD -oOo- W7 64bit
-oOo- PB2700 LED 2560 x 1440 6ms 60Hz -oOo-
========================================

Last edited by He111; 05-09-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Approved Member

Default Try to fix it. It's worth the trouble!

If you don't like it at all, try some other flight sim. But, for the best battle of Britain vicarious thrill, try some of the improvements available for free. I recommend the Team Fusion "Mods" available after a quick search online.
I am basically an off-line Spitfire enthusiast, and have seen none of the barrel roll crashes you have experienced. It may be the different type of planes you prefer to fly because I have found that they frequently have different features and flight characteristics. For example, Spitfire wheel brakes are either on or off, while the BF-110 has proportional and separate brakes. I have learned to "tap" the Spitfire brakes in order to continue enjoying all the other good things about CLoD. Perfection is hard to find.
Perhaps you can discover the "Mod" out there which will correct your dissatisfaction. Try to fix it...

ASUS Rampage III Formula, I7-950 O/C to 4.2GHz, 12 GB Corsair 1603MHz RAM, SanDisk 240GB SSD, EVGA GTX 780, X-Fi Titanium Sound, 1KW PSU, 30" Dell U3011 monitor, TrackIR5, modified Saitek X-52 & Combat Rudder Pedals, Buttkicker Seat Feel, Win 7 Pro, EVGA Precision X, VAC System voice control.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Approved Member

For me, the RAF campaign is too short, and too silly in parts. CFS had more realistic missions, and almost more of them.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Approved Member

If one wants to play CoD, he has to do something for it.

For offline-players, Heinkills Camaigns or the Add-ons from Desastersoft are perfect. Well made missions, real content.

As for UFO-AI, that´s just a problem with setting the AI-skill-Parameter. They are set wrong in most missions already included in the game. But with the earlier mentioned Campaigns/add-ons, you shouldn`t have a problem...
Old 05-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by He111 View Post
As a offline player i'm really P1ssed @ the AI, fed up with AI planes barrel rolling into the deck when pursued. I cannot play COD anymore until that is fixed.

When CLOD was first released, I had no problems because i'd just bought a top line desktop. I loved it - blue oceans, deep colouring, proper engine sounds but too many with average PCs complained and then it was downgraded, now it looks like 1946.

h
I don't know about all that .. in fact I totally disagree with that ... The shadows.. the reflections.. the glint of sunlight .. the overall lighting is still a far cry from 1946. You are just seeing what you want to see or maybe remembering how it was.. but CoD is miles ahead of 46 graphically. Not that 46 looks all that bad because IMO it still looks PDG.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Approved Member

That's what makes this interesting... different things are important to each of us. I went to CLoD because it used the entire 16x10 screen instead of letterboxing the picture. Have the modders found a way around that? I might go back and strap on the Mustang for a trip around the pattern.
I thought the lighting in CLoD was better to my eyes... can you explain how you think 1946 is better? I'd like to compare them again.

ASUS Rampage III Formula, I7-950 O/C to 4.2GHz, 12 GB Corsair 1603MHz RAM, SanDisk 240GB SSD, EVGA GTX 780, X-Fi Titanium Sound, 1KW PSU, 30" Dell U3011 monitor, TrackIR5, modified Saitek X-52 & Combat Rudder Pedals, Buttkicker Seat Feel, Win 7 Pro, EVGA Precision X, VAC System voice control.