1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-27-2013, 08:25 AM
Woke Up Dead Woke Up Dead is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 209
Default High level bombing questions

Two questions about high level bombing.

Does anyone have a IAS/TAS conversion chart for the cold maps in IL2, like Moscow? Bombsight Table 2 and all the charts I can find seem to be calibrated for average spring/fall temperatures, but the Moscow map is much colder, which affects TAS calculations, which in turn affects bombing accuracy.

For example, on the Crimea map, at 3950m and an IAS of 270km/h the TAS is 340km/h, according to the wonder-woman view. But on the Moscow winter map, IAS of 270km/h at 3950m is 312km/h.

If someone had a chart, or at least a basic guideline for calculating TAS on winter maps, that'd be great.


My second question pertains to the Soviet bombsight on the Pe-2, Pe-8, and IL-4 (now also found on the single-engined Japanese bombers). I find it to be very precise but not accurate; it consistently drops bombs with the same error, depending on bomb type and plane type.

BFS Thor made a great level bombing manual with a chart to correct the Bombsight Table 2 program, but it does not include the IL-4 or the Pe-8, and the Pe-2 information is now inaccurate or was never accurate to begin with. Doing my own tests on the Crimea map, I found the following corrections are needed, all at 3950m:

Pe-2, 250kg bomb: go by the sight
Pe-2, 500kg bomb: go by Bombsight Table 2
IL-4, 250kg bomb: go by Bombsight Table 2 + 0.4 degrees
IL-4, 500kg bomb: go by the sight
Pe-8, 500kg bomb: go by Bombsight Table 2 + 2.0 degrees
Pe-8, 1000kg bomb: go by Bombsight Table 2

Does someone have a more complete chart, and is it possible to fix these inaccurate bombsigts in future patches?

Thanks,

WokeUpDead

Last edited by Woke Up Dead; 08-27-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-27-2013, 10:47 AM
DD_crash's Avatar
DD_crash DD_crash is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Buckley North Wales
Posts: 307
Default

HSFX has an option to show TAS in the speedbar.
__________________
<a href=http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2954&dateline=1314366190 target=_blank>http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2954&dateline=1314366  190 Salute Jim (Blairgowrie) http://dangerdogz.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-27-2013, 04:03 PM
T}{OR's Avatar
T}{OR T}{OR is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Posts: 833
Default

What you need is PAL-HUDConfigHSFX6 mod for HSFX (I am guessing that you are using mods?), available here in JSGME package for HSFX 6 in DBS mods section.

Visit our DBS forums (link in my sig) for more info (not sure if I can post mod links here).


Alternatively you can do what I always do, since the bomb angle varies so much depending on the bomb size, use BombsightTable2 for IAS-TAS conversion and then input the accurate data into the OP-1 bombsight through in-game interface rather than dropping on a preset angle.
__________________

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Woke Up Dead Woke Up Dead is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 209
Default

Thanks for the replies, I don't use mods though, and the servers I fly on may not allow that specific mod anyway.

"use BombsightTable2 for IAS-TAS conversion and then input the accurate data into the OP-1 bombsight through in-game interface rather than dropping on a preset angle"

Do you mean use BT2 to figure out the TAS, then ignore the angle BT2 gives and just line up the two needles on the sight? Unfortunately this does not always work, hence my problem from my first post. Different sizes of Soviet bombs do seem to fall differently, I think you found this yourself when you added different correction angles for the big bombs (BB) and medium bombs (MB) in your guide. But the OP-1 always gives the same angle given the same altitude and speed, regardless of the bomb size. And there also appears to be variation from plane to plane (Pe-2, IL-4, Pe-
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-29-2013, 08:12 AM
T}{OR's Avatar
T}{OR T}{OR is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Posts: 833
Default

Target elevation (the correct term ) is very important when level bombing. You need to input the relative altitude above ground or AOG, not altitude above sea level or AOS for your target. In IL2, due to its terrain, those targets usually will not be above 200m AOS and that is rare since the terrain is mostly flat on all maps with very few exceptions. The highest target I ever bombed was MonteCassino on Italy map (600m AOS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woke Up Dead View Post
... But the OP-1 always gives the same angle given the same altitude and speed, regardless of the bomb size. And there also appears to be variation from plane to plane (Pe-2, IL-4, Pe-
Could very well be so. Bear in mind that the angle value needed is a decimal number, i.e. in 1/3 that needs to be entered into the bomb sight. Depending on what the sight gives you. Three clicks are needed with OP-1 to switch to a higher angle. That may also be important.
__________________

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-29-2013, 03:57 PM
KG26_Alpha's Avatar
KG26_Alpha KG26_Alpha is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London
Posts: 2,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T}{OR View Post
Target elevation (the correct term ) is very important when level bombing. You need to input the relative altitude above ground or AOG, not altitude above sea level or AOS for your target. In IL2, due to its terrain, those targets usually will not be above 200m AOS and that is rare since the terrain is mostly flat on all maps with very few exceptions. The highest target I ever bombed was MonteCassino on Italy map (600m AOS).
Altitude deviations at airfields on a few of the common stock maps.

~@ Woke up Dead
Its important to know terrain elevation on parts of the maps you are intending to use altitude bombing.

Moscow
North 90m
South 140m

Crimea
South 200-240m

Smolensk
East 160m
North 90m
South 110m
West 40m

Stalingrad
North 200m
South 30m
East 50m
West 100m
Central 110m
__________________



Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 08-29-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-28-2013, 03:32 PM
KG26_Alpha's Avatar
KG26_Alpha KG26_Alpha is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London
Posts: 2,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woke Up Dead View Post
Two questions about high level bombing.

Does anyone have a IAS/TAS conversion chart for the cold maps in IL2, like Moscow? Bombsight Table 2 and all the charts I can find seem to be calibrated for average spring/fall temperatures, but the Moscow map is much colder, which affects TAS calculations, which in turn affects bombing accuracy.

For example, on the Crimea map, at 3950m and an IAS of 270km/h the TAS is 340km/h, according to the wonder-woman view. But on the Moscow winter map, IAS of 270km/h at 3950m is 312km/h.

If someone had a chart, or at least a basic guideline for calculating TAS on winter maps, that'd be great.


My second question pertains to the Soviet bombsight on the Pe-2, Pe-8, and IL-4 (now also found on the single-engined Japanese bombers). I find it to be very precise but not accurate; it consistently drops bombs with the same error, depending on bomb type and plane type.

BFS Thor made a great level bombing manual with a chart to correct the Bombsight Table 2 program, but it does not include the IL-4 or the Pe-8, and the Pe-2 information is now inaccurate or was never accurate to begin with. Doing my own tests on the Crimea map, I found the following corrections are needed, all at 3950m:

Pe-2, 250kg bomb: go by the sight
Pe-2, 500kg bomb: go by Bombsight Table 2
IL-4, 250kg bomb: go by Bombsight Table 2 + 0.4 degrees
IL-4, 500kg bomb: go by the sight
Pe-8, 500kg bomb: go by Bombsight Table 2 + 2.0 degrees
Pe-8, 1000kg bomb: go by Bombsight Table 2

Does someone have a more complete chart, and is it possible to fix these inaccurate bombsigts in future patches?

Thanks,

WokeUpDead
To accurately bomb in those aircraft you need the target ground level altitude to calculate the bomb sight angle.

Or you will be long/short depending on the target alt from mean sea level.

I have never found it necessary to use any bombsite assistance programs the stock tables work perfectly well if you know the target alt







.
__________________



Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 08-28-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:22 AM.

Based on a design by: Miner Skinz.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 1C Company. All rights reserved.