1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 10-11-2009, 12:12 PM
MorgothNL MorgothNL is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCfalcon View Post

I've heard a few people talk about it needing to be fixed up some. What are the common complaints? Because it seems to be about what I expected (big, tough, not very graceful and with a lot of things that go boom). I think it could be a little tougher, since sometimes it seems to die easier than it should. Turning seems about right though. It turns about as well as a 190, maybe just a hair worse because of the extra mass.
.

hey ... im one of those complainers .
What difficulty do you play on I wonder?

I play sim mostly. you say it is 'little less effective in dogfight'. I really ahd to laugh at that one . It is just unflyable in dogfight . Its turning rate is wayyyy bigger than the 190s. It certainly can not outrun many planes, maybe in the first seconds of a dive, but even the spits will catch up with you. Mainly because they can maintain the dive much longer, because the P-47 has to pull up at 1000ft, just to not hit the ground.

I really DO agree with its deadly potential in strike. I dont have the B-17 yet, but the P-47 does a better job than most bombers. Not as well as the B-17, but if the B-17 guy is not 100% accurate with his bombs, you can beat him with the P-47 .

I have used it a few times in CTA as well. It sure does work depending on your role. Because it is so rugged, it is a good plane to land (its also easy to land). it has nice bombs, but because of its turn, you normally only get 1 chance to drop you bombs.. you wont have time for a 180. (if you throw them, the 1000lbs will most likely kill, but sometimes you are too low, and the bombs dont drop, then you are in trouble).
I prefer for instance the spit XVI. It has perfect dogfight capabilitys to keep people from landing in the first place. And its 250lbs bombs will do the job as well. BUT i can understand that someone likes it in CTA . It is a stable landing and bombing platform.

I just dont agree for even 1%, that it is 'little less effective in dogfights'.It is a complete incapable dogfighter if you ask me. It is not fast enough to zoom. The enemy will outrun you, or you will be closing very slowly. If he decides to turn even just a little, you will not be able to follow. Same with a climb, if he climbs, you will not be able to make the same steep angle, and you wont be able to maintain a climb for long. The P-47 is a nice plane for strike, but even the very broken P-51, will be able to outdogfight is every time.

Not bitching on your post . Its just, that this guide is meant for newbies, and reading the P-47 post, would suggest that it is a very capable dogfighter. Wich is just really isnt

If you disagree with my post, dont be angry , Im not saying that my opinion is fact .

EDIT: I see I put a nice amount of smileys in that post ^^

Last edited by MorgothNL; 10-11-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-11-2009, 12:51 PM
RCfalcon RCfalcon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 39
Default

I play on Arcade myself, so I can't comment on how it handles in sim. Never said it was the best in dogfighting, but yeah, it certainly isn't ideal (Kind of strange considering it was a bomber escort for a good chunk of the war). You can usually get a few kills though (in arcade), if you're smart in choosing your targets. I kind of see it in the same group as the 190s and Me-262. You REALLY need to know what you're doing if you want to get any kills with it against other planes.

I try to avoid dogfighting in it personally. I stick to pounding things on the ground, or hunting bombers (its fun to peg bombers with rockets ^^). I'd take my G-6 over the P-47 in a dogfight anyday. I suck at boom and zoom style planes. I like being able to complete a turn sometime this decade. =P

Never meant to imply it was an extremely capable dogfighter...just better than a few of the other attack planes (ILs, Stukas, etc). Not that that's saying a whole lot. Although, our best boom and zoom dogfighter has done decent with it at times. He still greatly preferres his Ta or 109-K4. He almost exclusively flies German planes anyway.

Last edited by RCfalcon; 10-11-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-11-2009, 12:56 PM
MorgothNL MorgothNL is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 376
Default

ok .. no problems . I dont play arcade, so probably what you said was true for arcade . Disregard the rest of my comments towards your post then
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-11-2009, 12:58 PM
RCfalcon RCfalcon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorgothNL View Post
ok .. no problems . I dont play arcade, so probably what you said was true for arcade . Disregard the rest of my comments towards your post then
Not a problem. You raised some valid points, and this game does have a decent sized sim crowd, so Im sure they'd want to know how things affect them specifically.

Also, the B-17 is fun, and will be even more fun after it gets toughened up in the next patch ^^

Couldn't imagine trying to unlock it in sim mode. Good luck with that, man.

Last edited by RCfalcon; 10-11-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Ancient Seraph Ancient Seraph is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dutchman in Spain
Posts: 788
Default

I'm going to agree with MorgothNL here. Arcade is probably lots of fun for some, but it's not a difficulty setting at which you need a guide . I'd like this guide to be based on realistic/sim experience. I still like most of your description though .
Begs the question if the other contributors play Arcade or not . I know Soviet Ace doesn't, not sure about mattd though.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-11-2009, 01:10 PM
RCfalcon RCfalcon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Seraph View Post
I'm going to agree with MorgothNL here. Arcade is probably lots of fun for some, but it's not a difficulty setting at which you need a guide . I'd like this guide to be based on realistic/sim experience. I still like most of your description though .
Begs the question if the other contributors play Arcade or not . I know Soviet Ace doesn't, not sure about mattd though.
True. Still a nice little overview of the different planes though. The basic strategies for them stay about the same throughout the different modes.

I'll tell you what though, from what little Ive dabbled in realistic and sim, it definately gives you a greater appreciation for how skilled those pilots had to be to do their jobs.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-11-2009, 01:20 PM
mattd27 mattd27 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Seraph View Post
I'm going to agree with MorgothNL here. Arcade is probably lots of fun for some, but it's not a difficulty setting at which you need a guide . I'd like this guide to be based on realistic/sim experience. I still like most of your description though .
Begs the question if the other contributors play Arcade or not . I know Soviet Ace doesn't, not sure about mattd though.
Nope, realistic and sim all the way.

And about the P-47, I don't know where this tactic came from, but I've been taken down at least twice by someone firing air to ground missiles at me from their P-47. That was surprising to say the least!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-12-2009, 04:00 AM
moozicmon moozicmon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 95
Default

Admins, please sticky this
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-12-2009, 07:52 PM
P-51 P-51 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: U.K
Posts: 893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd27 View Post
Nope, realistic and sim all the way.

And about the P-47, I don't know where this tactic came from, but I've been taken down at least twice by someone firing air to ground missiles at me from their P-47. That was surprising to say the least!
You on ps3? Because thats my b17 quick destry tactic lol That and when playing CTA i do it
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-12-2009, 09:29 PM
PapaBoon PapaBoon is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nashville,Tennessee
Posts: 25
Default

Awesome post Ancient!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:56 AM.

Based on a design by: Miner Skinz.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 1C Company. All rights reserved.