1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #161  
Old 04-28-2015, 05:28 PM
Furio's Avatar
Furio Furio is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS69 View Post
Do you know how they were capable of showing under the water line of ships on IL2?

To my knowledge, if they can do that, they can do a ship that just go on that line and show it.
I just took a ride in a Rufe floatplane around Pacific Island map. For what I saw, water surface has 100% opacity. Not an inch of submerged ships, submarines and floats shows through. The feeling is confirmed by plane’s shadow on water. My guess is that the shallow water effect is simply “painted” on, with a texture applied to water surface near beaches. Of course, I have no idea if the methods I suggested are applicable to Il2.
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 04-28-2015, 07:00 PM
sniperton sniperton is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 253
Default

The method you suggested sounds primising, at least for me. A transparent upper layer could only be a problem if you watch waves from close to sea level, so that you can see through them, but this could be resolved by fine-tunig opacity.
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 04-28-2015, 07:07 PM
Pursuivant Pursuivant is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furio View Post
To duplicate the water’s surface.
To place the second one at some depth, 20 meters – 60 feet would probably be a good compromise.
A bit more work, but either of your solutions is better than mine.

And, as long as the game allows the option for actual submersible operations, then IL2 could ditch the periscope version of the submarines and just use one submarine model.

ASW operations are an area of the WW2 operations which are is potentially fascinating, historically important, and barely represented in the game.

Its post-WW2, but this video has some cool ideas as to how ASW aircraft did their work. Just about all the technologies shown in the video were developed during WW2.

Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 04-28-2015, 07:33 PM
Pursuivant Pursuivant is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS69 View Post
Il2 fans, aren't limited to dogfighters. We played a short campaign as the crew of a B17, and believe me it was enormous fun!
Agreed, but the most accessible planes in the game are the fighters and single-engined attack planes, since that's what IL2 was originally designed to simulate, and that's what most players seem to want.

There are so many aspects of the air war during WW2 that aren't well modeled in IL2. You're lucky that you had a group of friends willing to play an unusual mod campaign.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS69 View Post
The problem on IL2, is that ships have no AI at all. They are just mindless robots that follow the line. Even ground vehicles got a lesser AI capacity, but ships got no AI at all.
Completely agreed, but, it would be a big programming task to give ships any degree of AI. I'm not sure it's an area that TD wants to tackle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS69 View Post
Yeah, but on real life the sub will submerge anyway, and stop being a threat. A submerged sub can´t follow no convoy. Success don't always need a kill, a kill is just a bonus, seeing it as long term suppression.
True. You use the weapons you have, but unless you've got surprise on your side and/or the submarine tries to fight it out on the surface (Kreigsmarine doctrine from 1943 on) then it's not an effective tactic to use guns. Rockets, bombs and depth charges are the weapons of choice.

Realistically, an ASW patrol plane would also try to keep contact with the submarine and try to summon reinforcements if their attack failed.
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 04-29-2015, 11:19 AM
RPS69 RPS69 is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 362
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Agreed, but the most accessible planes in the game are the fighters and single-engined attack planes, since that's what IL2 was originally designed to simulate, and that's what most players seem to want.
What do you mean by accessible?
Most players maybe, but campaign designers? what do they want?
Take a good look on HSFX and you will see a thing or two about what it is wanted.

Quote:
There are so many aspects of the air war during WW2 that aren't well modeled in IL2. You're lucky that you had a group of friends willing to play an unusual mod campaign.
Unusual? it seems that I came from a really different world.

Quote:
Completely agreed, but, it would be a big programming task to give ships any degree of AI. I'm not sure it's an area that TD wants to tackle.
I don't think so. Ships don't need a whole AI, we are not talking about developing huge tasks of attack formations, nor the need to dock perfectly when arriving into a port. I don't expect destroyers to be launched on patrol trough a convoy, nor putting themselves as a torpedo screen protecting a capital ship.
This could be done by setting a main sheep, and associate it with a set of ships to mimic it's behavior. This main sheep may only be programmed to react upon air attack by moving on zig zag, or doing whole turns to avoid bombing runs. The ability to evade collisions with semi sunk ships will be appreciated too!

The difficult task would be if it is decided to do it historically correct, by limiting every type of ship to it's historical maneuver limits. That would be too much, a generic behavior would be enough. Anyway it will be 1000% more than we have today.

Quote:
True. You use the weapons you have, but unless you've got surprise on your side and/or the submarine tries to fight it out on the surface (Kriegsmarine doctrine from 1943 on) then it's not an effective tactic to use guns. Rockets, bombs and depth charges are the weapons of choice.
Yeah... you sure got lots of them on the first two years of war... I mean rockets, and depth charges thrown from a plane. Do you know that uboots, at the beginning of the war harassed convoys with their deck canons? Also, the British got a whole procedure to strafe submarines on those years. It was deemed an effective tactic, mostly developed on the gulf of biscay. Still, I must admit that the submarine was expected to be on surface to do that.
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 04-30-2015, 04:37 AM
Pursuivant Pursuivant is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS69 View Post
What do you mean by accessible?
Most players maybe, but campaign designers? what do they want?
Take a good look on HSFX and you will see a thing or two about what it is wanted.
Accessible = easiest for a new player to understand. Multi-engined and multi-crewed planes require extra commands, and a bit more understanding of how aircraft work in order to fly.

HSFX and other online sites represent a community of very committed fans and modders, with an emphasis on online and squadron play. They're a good representation of what "advanced users" want.

There aren't enough mission/campaign designers to really figure out what they want. My guess is that they're a subset of "advanced users".

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS69 View Post
I don't think so. Ships don't need a whole AI, we are not talking about developing huge tasks of attack formations, nor the need to dock perfectly when arriving into a port. I don't expect destroyers to be launched on patrol trough a convoy, nor putting themselves as a torpedo screen protecting a capital ship.
I agree, but the problem are that ships in IL2 have no AI at all, and their maneuvering physics is really bad (e.g., your example of a CV being able to turn on its axis). Upgrading ship physics and AI to even a basic level would require a huge amount of work. My impression from TD members public comments is that they don't want to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS69 View Post
This could be done by setting a main sheep, and associate it with a set of ships to mimic it's behavior. This main sheep may only be programmed to react upon air attack by moving on zig zag, or doing whole turns to avoid bombing runs. The ability to evade collisions with semi sunk ships will be appreciated too!
This is what I've described as "station keeping" and ability to move in formation.

Your ideas are similar to suggestions made in the past on different threads, and represent the sort of basic AI that ships should have.

1) In the FMB, it should be possible to set formations of ships, with other ships keeping station around a ship in the the center of the formation.

2) In the FMB, it should be possible to set standardized ship behavior, like zig-zagging.

Neither of these fixes requires any AI work. Just additions to the FMB.

Basic Ship AI would require:

1) Collision Avoidance - so that ships slow down and/or turn to avoid land, shallow water and other ships.

2) Torpedo Defensive Maneuvers - so ships will turn into, or away from, a spread of torpedoes to "comb" (i.e., sail in between) the torpedo formation. All this requires is a 90 degree turn in the direction of the largest formation of torpedoes (or a 90 degree turn away from it).

Slightly more sophisticated AI would require the ship to speed up or slow down to avoid torpedoes.

3) Bomb/Kamikaze Defensive Maneuvers - Ships attacked by bombers or kamikazes will make the tightest turn they can to left or right, possibly randomly alternating left/right turns, to spoil bombing/suicide attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS69 View Post
The difficult task would be if it is decided to do it historically correct, by limiting every type of ship to it's historical maneuver limits. That would be too much, a generic behavior would be enough. Anyway it will be 1000% more than we have today.
Again, agreed. But, it's somewhat difficult to find data for things like turning radius or acceleration. Also, like aircraft, a maneuvering ship is affected by things like centripedal force and inertia. It's a whole different area of engineering/physics.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS69 View Post
Yeah... you sure got lots of them on the first two years of war... I mean rockets, and depth charges thrown from a plane. Do you know that uboots, at the beginning of the war harassed convoys with their deck canons? Also, the British got a whole procedure to strafe submarines on those years. It was deemed an effective tactic, mostly developed on the gulf of biscay. Still, I must admit that the submarine was expected to be on surface to do that.
WW2 era submarines were intended as surface vessels that could submerge (vs. modern doctrine where submarines are designed as true submersibles), and this heavily influenced early war submarine design and doctrine.

The big issue for the mid/late war anti-submarine planes was anti-submarine/anti-shipping radar. That allowed ASW planes to detect subs and ships dozens of miles away. Some radars were sensitive enough that they could even sense sub periscopes.

Not surprisingly, submarines were quickly fitted with radar detectors allowing them to detect and avoid snooping aircraft, so there was a "technical war" with each side developing better radar systems (and, later in the war, MAD systems) and defenses against radar.

The "Battle of the Atlantic" from 1940-43 was not unlike the RAF's Night Bomber Campaign from 1942-44, with each side gaining a temporarily advantage based on some new gadget being developed.

Personally, I'd LOVE to see a simulation of aerial and naval operations in the Bay of Biscay from 1940-44. Lots of really interesting ships and aircraft. Plenty of desperate small actions. Historically quite important. Utterly ignored by any sim to date. Sadly, doing it right would require massive amounts of work that's far beyond my limited skills.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:38 PM.

Based on a design by: Miner Skinz.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 1C Company. All rights reserved.