1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer 1C: Maddox Games.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Approved Member

Yes with IL-2 being such rubbish I didn't have high hopes for CoD at all. No hang on, I must be some sort of idiot that can't conceive of anything being possibly good without youtube evidence.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:29 PM

Even though posting those vids was wrong, I for one was very excited when I saw them. I can't wait for release next month
Old 02-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novotny View Post
Yes with IL-2 being such rubbish I didn't have high hopes for CoD at all. No hang on, I must be some sort of idiot that can't conceive of anything being possibly good without youtube evidence.
Come on man! This is pre-release paranoia. Everybody's going ape-sh*t over something, sys reqs, grass shade, AA, crossfire/SLI compatibility (LOL on that one). Speaking for myself, I literally count the seconds until it's released. Wouldn't be a Maddox Games release without all these components
Old 02-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Approved Member

Yes well, it's incredibly satisfying to see all the nay-sayers (omg it's going to be rubbish! they're hiding it 'cause it's awful!) suddenly silenced. I've never been some sort of delirious fan, but only a fool would think that the last ten years of IL2 didn't give a hint that their sequel might be pretty good too.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAim View Post
If Ilya were looking for my advice, I would tell him not to fire the programmer in question (Unless, as Baron said some collusion comes to light), because he was let down by his friend just as much as Oleg and Ilya were. In the end it was the beta tester who decided to break his word, and he should bear the brunt of the consequences.

I'm not surprised any more at how little a man's word means these days, but it still breaks my heart.

I agree with that to.

I do hope the programmer in question and 1C rips the beta tester (wont say his name) a new one. I know i would. As far as legal means could take it (in 1C case) if for no other reason than just for the hell of it since i can only assume that that's the sentiments behind the leak itself. That "dude" strikes me as just that kind of person.

Last edited by Baron; 02-15-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:40 PM
Approved Member

I have a moral dilemma with this one, although I loath the guy for doing it I also appreciate seeing the clips.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:40 PM
Approved Member

Regarding the programmer: I'm in no position to offer any advice, but if it were up to me, I would want to consider what sort of message my response to the leak would give to others thinking of disregarding the privacy agreements they signed.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:44 PM

Yes breaching NDA is very seriouse and they could pursue legal channels to punish it, although it may be illegal to fire the programmer for it since he did not breach NDA, his friend did (not sure at all about russian laws but you could not to this in the US).

But again, it looks great, so why has all the footage we have seen looks crappy/jaggy/laggy/hand camera, if they were so worried about releasing footage of the game while "in progress" did they choose to show us rubish? This video is better quality and tells me more about the games look, feel and performance then everything we have received before combined. This is exactly what they should be doing more off (not the leaking, but showing videos like this).

Making a computer game is 2 parts
1. programming/making
2. Marketing/sales in order to facilitate 1

THe more of 2 = more of 1, I think this video has gone a long way to securing more pre orders for the game, without it I would not have (and was not going to) pre order.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Approved Member

Having never successfully launched an international release to continual critical acclaim and terrific sales, leading to complete domination of a market in which I had never previously competed in and which was, at the time, led by the largest company in the world, I shall decline to advice Mr Maddox on how best to release his next product.

Because I'm not a total retard, you see?
Old 02-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliocon View Post
Yes breaching NDA is very seriouse and they could pursue legal channels to punish it, although it may be illegal to fire the programmer for it since he did not breach NDA, his friend did (not sure at all about russian laws but you could not to this in the US).
It's actually luthier's who had to take the fire.
He was the person in charge - and he's replaceable just like anyone else.
The abuse of trust of friend of his programmer could potentially cost him his job.
Now I didn't say this option was ever considered, but maybe you understand why he was so pi$sed.