1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 09-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Approved Member

Wouldn't a Mac-version also run, with minor modifications, under Linux?
Afaik the actual Mac-OS is based on unix/linux.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:31 AM
Approved Member

CoD has dependencies on DirectX and .NET. Porting it to other OSes would require lots of changes, and size of non Windows market segment won't justify that.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeanze View Post
HEY!!! Wait just a minute.
... snip ...

So with the i5/i7 and 6970M and bootcamp I can have both a beautiful computer AND my sims. Now ain't that smart!!!!
GPU drivers for MacOSX don't deliver as much gaming performance as the Windows/Bootcamp drivers do. This is my experience with Snow Leo and an ATI 4850 in a 27" i5 iMac. Apples biggest priority for MacOSX is stability, not gaming performance.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeanze View Post
HEY!!! Wait just a minute.

I can run CloD on MAX SETTINGS with my iMac. But that's at 1920x1280. If I wanna run it at native 2560 then I have to go with medium/high mix.
Ok, I've overclocked the vidcard just a tad.

So with the i5/i7 and 6970M and bootcamp I can have both a beautiful computer AND my sims. Now ain't that smart!!!!
What drivers/oc software are you using? I would like to OC my video too, just not sure how.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:47 AM

well, even tough 10% of market is (according to OP) mac OS, from experience, people who buy Mac's are not into pc gaming, so if in regular windows we have 0,01% users intersted in clod, we would have something like 0,001% mac users interested in playing COD.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:54 AM

I'm all for it. Mac users are a small percentage of PC users but those with buying power and who traditionally are used to pay for their media. Just saying, World of Planes will be for the Mac as well.

MAC
Old 09-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACADEMIC View Post
Mac users are a small percentage of PC users but those with buying power and who traditionally are used to pay for their media. Just saying, World of Planes will be for the Mac as well.

MAC
Buying power doesn't matter if you look at their market share.
With the same argument you could as well justify a special homoversion of this game as they have incredibly buying power too...

And honestly, I dont think the imac user has pumped more money into his system than the nerd with all his peripherals.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:30 PM

While Steam runs on a mac it doesn't run on Linux. So the Linux argument falls flat from the beginning.

Also the game uses dx and .net as someone already mentioned. The performance after a port would be miserable at best.

Also while apple prevents it's OS from being used on real computer hardware (or even within VM's) this is not so for Windows. Just buy a copy and install it.

Mac is a very limited ecosystem and, aside from other things, absolutely not made for gaming. At this point it doesn't make sense to port the game to mac, especially since many of the peripherals aren't compatible either.

If the publisher thinks it will repay itself then it would've been done already. So it's pointless to discuss it here.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madfish View Post
While Steam runs on a mac it doesn't run on Linux. So the Linux argument falls flat from the beginning.

Also the game uses dx and .net as someone already mentioned. The performance after a port would be miserable at best.

Also while apple prevents it's OS from being used on real computer hardware (or even within VM's) this is not so for Windows. Just buy a copy and install it.

Mac is a very limited ecosystem and, aside from other things, absolutely not made for gaming. At this point it doesn't make sense to port the game to mac, especially since many of the peripherals aren't compatible either.

If the publisher thinks it will repay itself then it would've been done already. So it's pointless to discuss it here.
I was wondering about this (bolded part), are there any decent joysticks for mac? Track-IR? Throttles? Pedals?

Why not simply install Windows and run it in Windows?

Also to the OP: even if macs were 10% of the global pc market (which I highly doubt, no hate involved, I just doubt it is that high), let's not forget that flight sim enthusiasts represent a very small fraction of the overall "gaming market", which is also a fraction of the total pc market. So a small % of a slightly bigger % of one tenth of of the global market is just too small. Not worth it.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:36 PM
speculum jockey

The number of people who are actually playing CloD is quite low. So low that the three main forums dedicated to CloD have the same 15 people posting in all of them, and little else.

Converting to Mac would take time and money. Even if they paid some other company to do it, there is still the money issue.

The number of Mac owners who would play this are probably countable on one hand.

It's just not worth it, hence there being almost no games for Mac.