1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer 1C: Maddox Games.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:25 PM
IamNotDavid

Damn, Bongo beat me to it...
Old 10-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Approved Member

In these trailers, there's something shocking me about red tails characters, they're speaking,moving and and other ... like they were living after the twenty first century !!!
I've got some big doubt regarding the acting abilities of who's played these roles, and what they worked on .... (Uniforms maybe ?).
Edit : The only thing the film seems to focus is the black/white relationship during WW2.
Intel Core™ i7 980X Extreme Edition
Asus Rampage III Extreme
G.Skill Extreme3 3 x 2 Go PC16000 Ripjaws CAS 9
EVGA GeForce GTX 580 1,5 Go Superclocked

Last edited by Katkatman; 10-28-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternjaeger II View Post
erm, were the Allied harbours, bases and factories continuously hammered throughout the war? No. Did they have limited access to resources like the Germans? No. Did they keep on using the same crews and pilots like the Germans? No. And machines weren't inferior, but suffered from limited logistics, low engines TBOs and general lack of spare parts.

erm, IFR doesn't rely on landmarks. IFR is actually safer than VFR in terms of long navigation. I appreciate you don't have a VFR or IFR license, that's why you probably don't understand this, but Bongo can confirm this himself I suppose.
The Germans actually ended the war with a surplus of new (un-used) aeroplanes and spare parts.

The one area they lacked in was, oil...fuel...petrol products.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton45 View Post
The Germans actually ended the war with a surplus of new (un-used) aeroplanes and spare parts.

The one area they lacked in was, oil...fuel...petrol products.
Surplus compared to what, the 1000's of allied aircraft/pilots in theatre in 1945? I think you'll find that many of those "un-used" aircraft were actually "unfinished" aircraft, and having surplus aircraft is useless without the pilots and fuel to get them in the air.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex View Post
Surplus compared to what, the 1000's of allied aircraft/pilots in theatre in 1945? I think you'll find that many of those "un-used" aircraft were actually "unfinished" aircraft, and having surplus aircraft is useless without the pilots and fuel to get them in the air.
In 1945. Not so much in the years before. In 1943, the USAAF had three fighter groups to commit to action. They held their own without "overwhelming superiority." So to say that Allied pilots were only successful due to numbers is ludicrous and does a tremendous disservice to their memories.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:49 AM
Approved Member

Someone here said to lighten it up a bit. I think that's a good plan. I'm sure we've all read accounts of the air war, and from the perspectives of combatants on different fronts and different sides. They were all desperate to live, and many died anyway. I recall reading about the other air battle; RAF night bombers versus German night fighters. The Brits had something to be avoided like the plague. It was the tag of "low moral fiber" given to an airman who's nerves might be shot. Unthinkable today. Americans called it being "yellow" as in cowardice. But from what I've read, everyone was scared of not doing their duty. On the Eastern front, German pilots expected a death sentence when having to bail out over enemy territory.
We may talk about making realistic movies, and about those that are not. But we are only talking about movies. I don't think there are many in this thread that have actually walked the walk of air combat in real life. Me included. That means there are many who can only offer up opinions, but not real life air combat experiences.
I don't believe the Tuskegee Airmen never lost a bomber to fighters, and I personally know one of those airmen, and he does not believe it either. I do believe him when he says he returned and had to ride in the back of the train so German prisoners could sit up front. I saw it in his face. So for all the glory of heroic American war movies, there was that aspect of real life hidden from the eyes of the world. Black Americans were still be lynched into the 60s.
So remember. We're "talking" about a movie here. Not walking the walk. 10 whole pages of this?
Flyby out

Last edited by Flyby; 10-29-2011 at 01:53 AM. Reason: why so serious?!
Old 10-29-2011, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335th_GRExandas View Post
Man!!!
What ever movie they can produce about WW2 allied pilots will not get the
feeling.

German Aces where fighting 4 straight years over all europe and africa continent THERE IS THE PILOTS REAL FEELING.

Especially the last desperate years when 100 GAF pilots where opposing
1000 well fed napped and fair treated American pilots in their shiny new P51s.

100 war dogs which usually bit the odds and returned back home with 2-3 kills
and obliged to take off back again in 10 mins the most.

Maaan that's is a feeling of a pilot.
Actually the facts are, for anyone who cares to do the research, the actual numbers of USAAF fighter pilots who confronted Luftwaffe pilots at the point of intercept, the numbers were more often on the side the of the Germans.

American pilots had to cover a huge stream of bombers, which was up to 100 km long, typically one Bomb Group of approx. 64 planes would be covered by one fighter Group of approx. 32 planes. (1943 and early '44 would see smaller numbers of USAAF fighters, Groups put up 16 planes most of the time) The Germans would not intercept the whole stream, they would concentrate on one small section. Typical intercept numbers for the Germans were in Gruppe size, (approx. 30-50 planes) and quite often two or more Gruppes would hit the same Bomb Group, the German controllers would do everything they could to concentrate attacks. If another USAAF fighter Group was closeby, it would try to intervene, but typically the Luftwaffe made one quick pass, and then dove away. Thus it was quite common to see the USAAF fighter pilots outnumbered. Of course, the Germans focus was on attacking the bombers, but they more often than not had temporary numbers advantage in fighters at the point of attack.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:11 AM
Approved Member

64 + 32(16)< 50(30).

?
Old 10-29-2011, 08:54 AM

Not to mention that german fighter schools were at the edge of disbanding in '44.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:06 AM
41Sqn_Stormcrow

Do we really need this completely out-dated, last-century-type "my nation is better" style discussion here in 21st century?

@flyby: good post! I just can imagine how your friend has felt when he had to sit in the back of the train to make place for the enemy.

Let's see about the movie (the air battle seems look as ridiculous as those on the history channel) and the story. My fear is that it will be very Hollywoodian. Very cliche ladden with huge drama. I have doubts that it can reach the level of the other movie on the Tuskegee men which was quite a good movie.