1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 11-07-2012, 07:59 AM

Nice and good but it also has a disadvantage just to add some more vram onto a originally designed 2 gb card as already seen in the 3gb version of the 580. Furthermore there is still an over 5 year old small interface for this and the 4gb version also suffers from that.

Fact is that a 7970 ghz edition is currently in most cases as fast as a 680 and the review shows, that this overall is currently the fastest single card. Sure the pace is often only marginal, but we have several 680 users bite in their asses, that they bought it, because it is unfinished and expensive.

The 7970 users are quite happy now with the new drivers. 680 users not always. Just our impression of a small clan comunity with about 100 people. Some are benchmarkers as well and now tried out for months. It has a reason, why the review of the 7970 changed places in many cases in the race of the best single card.

I must say, that we are still waiting on a big kepler. If that hits markets somehow, ati will have quite a big problem. But for now the ati is more than just an alternative card for the 680. My opinion and the opinion of many.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Approved Member

Hmm im more a nvidia guy, i have had some ati cards before but i like nvida better. So i think it will be a gtx 680 4gig. But thanks for tips.

Have any of you tried SLI in CLOD, i read in some other post that it isnt realy supported.

I will come back to this post and update if i buy the 680, tell you frame rates etc.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxl View Post
I will come back to this post and update if i buy the 680, tell you frame rates etc.
Y E S! P L E E E A S E!

I have SLI, yes it works but no it does not. You get a good boost in fps but, there is a kind of stutter that can not be explained by words, it makes the movement unsmooth. Subsequenly most sane people drop the sli and use a single GPU only. Less fps but smooth game.

FPS is not what you should be going for (after you have reached above the 30fps of course).

~S~
Old 11-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Approved Member

I have 2560 x 1440, 2 x 580s in SLI and get similar to you.

apparently when Nvidia release proper, tuned, drivers for CLOD on SLI we should get higher rates, I'll wait and see. I have no problems with 20-30 FPS near the ground, its the collapse to < 10 when sprites are shown (grass, dust, smoke etc) that concerns me. Using FRAPS is also a FPS drain thus no more videos from me until performance improves.

.....--oOo-- --oOo-- HE-111 --oOo-- --oOo--.....
========================================
-oOo- Intel i7-2600K (non-clocked) -oOo- GA-P67A
-oOo- DF 85 full tower -oOo- 1000W corsair
-oOo- 8 GB 1600Hz -oOo- 2 x GTX 580 1.5M (295.73)
-oOo- 240 SSD -oOo- W7 64bit
-oOo- PB2700 LED 2560 x 1440 6ms 60Hz -oOo-
========================================
Old 11-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Approved Member

do you think i could run smoothly cliff whit my résolution mates ?
Core i7 3930k @ stock, asus rampage IV Extreme, 16 GB ram GSkill 2133 MHz, SSD vertex 3 max iops 120 GB, Noctua NH-D14, 1 x GTX 580 Point of view (overclocked) 3 GB, HAF 942, G 940, silent pro gold 1000 w, track IR 5, SAMSUNG SyncMaster 245 B.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U505 View Post
do you think i could run smoothly cliff whit my résolution mates ?
And your resolution is???

~S~
Old 11-08-2012, 07:51 AM

You can wait on your proper sli support, but as I think, you will get higher fps and stutters stay or even get more, since you are not using a faster hard drive to reduce it and perhaps you run into problems with the small ram interface. I can only repeat and repeat: It is streaming engine with high vram load and high viewing distances. Currently no system is really capable to run this totally sufficient in all topics.

After you upgraded to a 680 (with a way too small ram interface) and to an ssd, you will perhaps still suffer the bottleneck of your i7 940 @ 3,6 GHz ( which is by far too less raw cpu power -> you should overclock at least to 4 GHz, but you will possibly only get up to 3,8GHz stable, depending on your steppibg of the i7 -new or old stepping-!!)

Sorry, but this is currently also a major disadvantage of your pc. On a game which turns out to be also very cpu consuming, your cards are just waste of time for that game.

So foxl: It would be necessary to have a look over your whole pc, because in grathos pc, it would not help only to buy a highend gfx card. You will simply do not get rid of the other hardware priblems.

Last edited by Stublerone; 11-08-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335th_GRAthos View Post
And your resolution is???

~S~
In fact i wanted to know if my configuration would be enough strong to work in hight settings with a 2560x1440 screen. sorry 335th_GRAthos
Core i7 3930k @ stock, asus rampage IV Extreme, 16 GB ram GSkill 2133 MHz, SSD vertex 3 max iops 120 GB, Noctua NH-D14, 1 x GTX 580 Point of view (overclocked) 3 GB, HAF 942, G 940, silent pro gold 1000 w, track IR 5, SAMSUNG SyncMaster 245 B.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:08 AM

Quite good rig, when u left out your graphics card.

And for this I do not know enough to say, how much frames u get. All other parts are good for sure and the fact, that u have a ssd and the fact that u have enough vram on your card should help u as well .

I can just guess, but you won't have a problem to run it one such a screen. Perhaps you should try to overclock your cpu to avoid him to become the bottleneck. It should be an easy overclock to 4.2 with air cooling. The current intels are easy going into this region. Just have a look, that one core isn't running on 100%. Than u can be quite sure that he is not limiting your performance. I cannot give you a hint on a real number when the cpu limits and at which GHz raw performance it is solving the problem in your configuration and your resolution. But here are some guys, who were more into detail in suuch a topic. Perhaps these guys can precise it for you.

Last edited by Stublerone; 11-08-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stublerone View Post
Quite good rig, when u left out your graphics card.

And for this I do not know enough to say, how much frames u get. All other parts are good for sure and the fact, that u have a ssd and the fact that u have enough vram on your card should help u as well .

I can just guess, but you won't have a problem to run it one such a screen. Perhaps you should try to overclock your cpu to avoid him to become the bottleneck. It should be an easy overclock to 4.2 with air cooling. The current intels are easy going into this region. Just have a look, that one core isn't running on 100%. Than u can be quite sure that he is not limiting your performance. I cannot give you a hint on a real number when the cpu limits and at which GHz raw performance it is solving the problem in your configuration and your resolution. But here are some guys, who were more into detail in suuch a topic. Perhaps these guys can precise it for you.
thak you very much for your advises, but i still don't know what to think about buying such a screen according to my configuration. I did not know my graphic's card could be a bottleneck in such spec ( it was a quite expensive component last year ). I know i would get better and shaper images with a 2560x1440 resolution screen but if i become stutters i don't want to buy another graphics card ( a new single card or by adding a second GTX 580 wich cost 600 euros and induce all performances problems with SLI drivers and clod).Any ideas how my pc would run in maxed out settings ? Thanks in advance.