1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 02-07-2015, 11:59 AM
Approved Member

Default A suggestion / idea: Nighttime 'colours'

When flying a nighttime mission (in this case, the DangerDogz special very own Coop mission 'Pegasus' in the G11 Glider -HSFX, time set at 00:30, Normandy Map) I got the impression the landscape was way too colourful.

Midnight, and I can see green fields and forests.
Now, at night, in the darkness, the human eye does not see that many colours.
Mostly, all is grey-ish.

Would it be possible to change the lighting, and reduce the colors, moving towards grey, more and more as it gets darker?

First attachment is an un-edited screen shot from within cockpit.
Second one was converted to greyscale, using PaintShop Pro.

If you really want to have a good look at them, try and make sure your display is in a darkened room
Well, when flying this mission, one has to darken one's room completely, to be able to see anything... but it is striking, once your eyes got used to the darkness, you see all them colours...

Anyways, just an idea to add some more 'realism' ... immersion at night ...
(Sure, there's only a few true nighttime missions out there... but still...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grab0007.jpg (343.2 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg grab0007a.jpg (241.7 KB, 83 views)
Old 02-09-2015, 10:20 PM
Approved Member

+1.

While it would mostly be eye candy, FoolTrottel's point about human night vision and lack of color vision is spot on.

Ideally, there would be some way for a pilot to "gain" further night vision if he's exposed to relative darkness for 20 or so minutes, as well as some temporary loss of night vision if he's "dazzled" by bright lights (e.g., searchlights, nearby gun flashes, flares or incendiaries).
Old 02-10-2015, 03:48 PM
Approved Member

Excellent request. In low light conditions people see mostly grey. The ground in the edited picture looks good, but I think the sky has more colours at night. More dark blue (of course it depends on the time at night and clouds). Snow can look blue at night.
While speaking of lighting conditions, I think that Il-2's dusk looks very good for such an old game.

I've edited FoolTrottel's pictures. It has the dark blue sky and the grey ground. What do you think of it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Il-2 night.jpg (7.7 KB, 57 views)

If you are insecure: use more bullets.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:37 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniël View Post
Excellent request. In low light conditions people see mostly grey. The ground in the edited picture looks good, but I think the sky has more colours at night. More dark blue (of course it depends on the time at night and clouds). Snow can look blue at night.
So, grayed out ground and water textures, but dark blue sky to reflect starlight and sunlight from over the horizon.

In moonlight conditions, things get interesting. Functionally, reflected moonlight can be treated as very dim sunlight. In reality, the moon is slightly better at reflecting red wavelengths of sunlight - making it appear red - but because humans lose their ability to clearly detect red colors in low light we perceive moonlight - even bright moonlight - as being more neutral.

http://www.cast-lighting.com/search/...ay-document/71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniël View Post
I've edited FoolTrottel's pictures. It has the dark blue sky and the grey ground. What do you think of it?
Pretty good.

I'm not sure how well IL2 can handle lighting effects, though, given the age of the graphics engine. Ideally, everything would be handled with formulas that handle things like luminosity and light scattering at a distance.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:39 PM
Approved Member

Thank guys for your insights...!

To keep things as 'simple' as possible, me thinks just tuning down all colours towards grey-ish - both sky and ground all together- would suffice here...
Old 02-14-2015, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

I would imagine (to to it properly) you will need separate map textures created for TOD
perhaps 5 classes sunrise midday evening dusk and night to make it "realistic" but that's a big ask.

Or

The mission map loading TOD reference triggers a colour to black and white gammut so the game drops the global colour reference internally.
auto switching the video setting in IL2 and not using the ATI Nvidia software to control it.

Quite a bit of work, but you could just turn the monitor colour down locally to suit your eye,
as you can imagine there will be as usual people complaining about its too grey or not grey enough etc etc

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 02-14-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG26_Alpha View Post
I would imagine (to to it properly) you will need separate map textures created for TOD
perhaps 5 classes sunrise midday evening dusk and night to make it "realistic" but that's a big ask.
Actually, it is done that way already. When you got 32 bit enabled, the last 8 are used for lights. You could see this by generating TGA files, and opening them with a picture editor that support multi layered images. A screen shot at night will look full daylight just by removing this last layer.

Problem is that colors are being darkened, but not turned into B/W.

It could be achieved by establishing a threshold on the darkening layer. When lights go below X, all colour levels are equalized, achieving a true night sight.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS69 View Post
Actually, it is done that way already. When you got 32 bit enabled, the last 8 are used for lights. You could see this by generating TGA files, and opening them with a picture editor that support multi layered images. A screen shot at night will look full daylight just by removing this last layer.

Problem is that colors are being darkened, but not turned into B/W.

It could be achieved by establishing a threshold on the darkening layer. When lights go below X, all colour levels are equalized, achieving a true night sight.

How are you generating the tga file ?

Old 02-15-2015, 04:15 PM
Approved Member

Well, I did that a long time ago. You just took an ingame screenshot. It generates TGA. I hope they didn't change it to some useless JPG.

I will check if still works.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:22 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS69 View Post
Well, I did that a long time ago. You just took an ingame screenshot. It generates TGA. I hope they didn't change it to some useless JPG.
There's the option to save screenshots as .jpg, but you can still save them as .tga.

.jpg is better if you're trying to upload screenshots to the web. .tga is better for photo editing work.