1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer 1C: Maddox Games.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:21 PM

Also agree. Engine and cannon sounds are so much better than in IL2.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:01 PM
Approved Member

Personnally ,I would find interesting how ,in the sound way, the different damages (specially from the engine) will be retranscribed ( "Damned, 'got only 10 cylinders working on 12" )
Old 02-13-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by House M.D. View Post
I thought the same of the crash smoke - but, contrary, I find it terrible.
It was bad back in IL-2, it is still bad now.
How can you determine anything about the image quality from such a low fidelity recording that is heavily compressed for viewing on the internet? Look at the cockpit. It looks awful, but I know from other images and HD videos that it in fact looks magnificent. Commenting on visual quality in these videos is not possible.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchiyo View Post
How can you determine anything about the image quality from such a low fidelity recording that is heavily compressed for viewing on the internet? Look at the cockpit. It looks awful, but I know from other images and HD videos that it in fact looks magnificent. Commenting on visual quality in these videos is not possible.

Cockpit still looks 10x better than anything from IL2 compressed or not, get some glasses.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:13 AM

Yuk .
Old 02-14-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winny View Post
You're right, only tracers in 2 guns (CoD has selectable ammo for each gun)
If you wanted to be historically correct you'd only have 1 gun loaded with tracers for the RAF.
If the "smokers" in this shot are tracers then I don't believe that statement is entirely true. I'm sure different squadrons used/tried different mixes during the battle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg air_he111_11-b.jpg (29.3 KB, 48 views)
Old 02-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutts View Post
If the "smokers" in this shot are tracers then I don't believe that statement is entirely true. I'm sure different squadrons used/tried different mixes during the battle.
No, he's wrong to a degree. Whilst no evidence that I've seen suggests that there was a definitive set-up for how the pilots loaded their tracers, pilot reports show that it was a very personal affair, so there'd be a number of different variations (e.g. tracer only in the last few rounds, tracer in one gun, tracer in two guns, tracer in one gun only in the last few rounds etc )
I think Winny was trying to suggest this....but I think he is wrong in saying that there was a definitive way in which the RAF loaded their tracer....
Old 02-14-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutts View Post
Sorry I should have said 2 guns...

Standard RAF loadout during BoB was to have 2 guns loaded with tracer. They did not mix ammo types in the same gun as the different recoil characteristics caused problems. (This only applies to the MG's btw). The only real variation to this was to have no tracers at all. Except for a few at the end

The initial RAF fighter loading was three guns loaded with ball, two with AP, two with Mk IV incendiary tracer and one with Mk VI incendiary. (Early BoB)

Battle of Britain armament was four guns with ball, two with AP and two with incendiaries (presumably Mk VI) with four of the last 25 rounds being tracer (presumably Mk IV incendiary/tracer) to tell the pilot he was running out of ammunition.
(By 1942 the standard loading for fixed .303s was half loaded with AP and half with incendiary.)

The pilots could say if they wanted no tracers at all, but the problem of mixed ammo in the same gun wasn't fixed till later.

Sorry for any confusion...

Last edited by winny; 02-14-2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Spelling... again.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Approved Member

I am very happy about the sounds of the Hurri's guns. They have the sound of ripping canvas that I have heard described so often in pilot's accounts.

I never liked the gun sounds in Il2/FB/1946, and was hoping to hear this!

Flying online as Setback.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winny View Post
Sorry I should have said 2 guns...

Standard RAF loadout during BoB was to have 2 guns loaded with tracer. They did not mix ammo types in the same gun as the different recoil characteristics caused problems. (This only applies to the MG's btw). The only real variation to this was to have no tracers at all. Except for a few at the end

The initial RAF fighter loading was three guns loaded with ball, two with AP, two with Mk IV incendiary tracer and one with Mk VI incendiary. (Early BoB)

Battle of Britain armament was four guns with ball, two with AP and two with incendiaries (presumably Mk VI) with four of the last 25 rounds being tracer (presumably Mk IV incendiary/tracer) to tell the pilot he was running out of ammunition.
(By 1942 the standard loading for fixed .303s was half loaded with AP and half with incendiary.)

The pilots could say if they wanted no tracers at all, but the problem of mixed ammo in the same gun wasn't fixed till later.

Sorry for any confusion...

You seem to know your stuff winny, I'll take your word for it.

Out of interest, what kind of ammo do you think is leaving those smoke trails in the photo I posted?

Last edited by Sutts; 02-14-2011 at 11:49 AM.