1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer 1C: Maddox Games.

View Poll Results: Steam poll
Yes I have and like using Steam 256 54.47%
Yes I have and dont like using Steam 67 14.26%
No I do not have Steam but will for CoD 52 11.06%
No I do not have Steam and will not for CoD 95 20.21%
Voters: 470. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggit View Post
LMAO.....you guys crack me up... I guess if the result showed people hated steam it would have been a accurate indication of the player base.
How many examples has Il-2 sold? Have a guess? Granted, some lost souls used Ubi lobby and some even Xfire, but guess how many unique users HL has?

Vast majority plays single player or max single player + occasionally LAN/private server with a few friends.

They dont need Steam's "awesome multiplayer matchmaking and anti cheat VAC, player ranking" etc etc.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:48 AM
Approved Member

So you don't want the game to have a server browser by default/want Oleg and team to waste time programming one when they could just use Steam instead?
Old 03-09-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrunch View Post
So you don't want the game to have a server browser by default/want Oleg and team to waste time programming one when they could just use Steam instead?
I see no reason to force to use Steam. An option would be nice. Not surprised on Ubisoft not providing an MP lobby, though.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:11 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkki View Post
I see no reason to force to use Steam. An option would be nice. Not surprised on Ubisoft not providing an MP lobby, though.
Well hey, remember how well their last attempt went. I'd rather use Steam because I expect it'll be around for a long time. Can you imagine how long Ubi would support such an option? They hit the headlines recently for closing a game's official servers less than a year after release.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Is that for the DOWNLOADED version or a hard disc copy. I DON'T play on line. It's not something I enjoy. My interweb connection is okay..... but I certainly won't download a 10GB file. I just wanna pop the disc in and play OFFLINE. What benefit does STEAM have for me?

My biggest concern that I need to verify is that I will be able to burn DVDs. Almost every UBI game I've bought has caused issues with my DVD burning. I use my PC for work and pleasure. Obviously, work takes precedence over pleasure. I had to download the "IL2 no disc EXE." to play IL2. The other games I shelved.

I know that wasn't STEAM, but it is a concern for me. Does STEAM just verify ownership of the disc, or does it examine my PC for ISO/image file burning software? I can't afford two PCs so CoD may have to be a no go.
It may be possible to install from the DVD (although I can't guarantee it). For sure if it is Steam, you can fetch it from their servers whenever you want.

You can choose to back it up as CD or DVD image files (Steam will create whichever you want for you) and you can burn these ISO or just keep them on another hard drive. You can transfer this to another computer or choose to download the game from the steam servers on any computer.

Benefits of Steam in your case should be:

1. Extremely easily available (from disc, backup discs, backup image files or the Steam servers).
2. There is no install process and no need to use a disc & no-disc cracks.
3. Ability to check that the game is correctly installed & uncorrupted, with any broken files replaced. I.e. no need to uninstall-reinstall.
4. No need to manually download & apply patches (auto patching is an option)
5. If installed through downloading from Steam, it is always the latest patched version.

Last edited by MikkOwl; 03-09-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:08 AM

And, perhaps anticheat protection?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
How many examples has Il-2 sold? Have a guess? Granted, some lost souls used Ubi lobby and some even Xfire, but guess how many unique users HL has?

Vast majority plays single player or max single player + occasionally LAN/private server with a few friends.

They dont need Steam's "awesome multiplayer matchmaking and anti cheat VAC, player ranking" etc etc.
Oleg is protecting nearly 10 years work...i'm 100% behind his decision to use steam...like it or not gaming on the pc has moved on because of piracy.. If you don't like using steam well thats just tough.. the poll would indicate that most people are happy with the idea. stop crying.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggit View Post
Oleg is protecting nearly 10 years work...i'm 100% behind his decision to use steam...like it or not gaming on the pc has moved on because of piracy.. If you don't like using steam well thats just tough.. the poll would indicate that most people are happy with the idea. stop crying.
Who is crying? Did you read my post?

3rd time on 3 different places I have said that I will not use it if I need to run Steam to start the game, offline or online mode. It always gets "misunderstood". I dont mind validating via Steam or having an option to play multiplayer with it.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Who is crying? Did you read my post?

3rd time on 3 different places I have said that I will not use it if I need to run Steam to start the game, offline or online mode. It always gets "misunderstood". I dont mind validating via Steam or having an option to play multiplayer with it.
Steam runs in the background (I think), but you can simply create a desktop shortcut to the game via Steam to start it, games end up in your Program Files/Valve/Steam/steamapps or something like that, you see.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:46 AM

Hated Steam when it came out but quite like it now.