1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 06-06-2011, 01:51 PM

Thanks for posting FS Phat.

I tried your settings, including forcing AFR. I had experimented with RadeonPro previously and provided my results in roadczar's previous thread.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=23180

The lost planet profile is a no go for me given the terrible flickering as reported by other 5970 owners, but a few of the other profiles seem to do the trick (I mainly have been trying the Dirt2 profile).

I get an initial FPS of around 90 or so which is a noticeable improvement over using RadeonPro without forcing AFR as I had been doing previously. I use a variation of the stock QMB Manston attack mission for all this testing, so there are quite a few other aircraft in the game, but nothing over the top.

I am, however, having the same problems I reported in the previous thread in that the FPS soon diminishes by well over half. The funny thing is, i noticed this time that the huge drop in FPS can be reproduced every time by my simply moving my head (TrackIR) to look over one of my shoulders!!

Basically, I am on the runway looking ahead, I play around with the cockpit instruments etc and as long as i am looking ahead, my FPS stays generally between 80-90...but if i quickly look over, say, my right shoulder, the FPS drops down to between 20-40 and then stays there for the remainder of the mission. If I exit the flight, go back to the menu and start a new mission, the FPS remains stuck at the lower figures. This happens every time. Its as if something breaks the RadeonPro settings and the benefits never return unless I log out of the game totally, shut down steam and then start it all up again.

I cant for the life of me understand why simply looking over my shoulder/changing my view could have such a ridiculous effect on the game's performance. Especially as the reduced FPS remains even if I restart a fresh mission, and I get the lower FPS in the same situation where I was getting 80-90 previously.

Any ideas guys?

I know this sounds too ridiculous to be true by the way, I swear it is however!
Old 06-06-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naz View Post

I tried your settings, including forcing AFR. I had experimented with RadeonPro previously and provided my results in roadczar's previous thread.

The lost planet profile is a no go for me given the terrible flickering as reported by other 5970 owners, but a few of the other profiles seem to do the trick (I mainly have been trying the Dirt2 profile).

I get an initial FPS of around 90 or so which is a noticeable improvement over using RadeonPro without forcing AFR as I had been doing previously. I use a variation of the stock QMB Manston attack mission for all this testing, so there are quite a few other aircraft in the game, but nothing over the top.

I am, however, having the same problems I reported in the previous thread in that the FPS soon diminishes by well over half. The funny thing is, i noticed this time that the huge drop in FPS can be reproduced every time by my simply moving my head (TrackIR) to look over one of my shoulders!!

Basically, I am on the runway looking ahead, I play around with the cockpit instruments etc and as long as i am looking ahead, my FPS stays generally between 80-90...but if i quickly look over, say, my right shoulder, the FPS drops down to between 20-40 and then stays there for the remainder of the mission. If I exit the flight, go back to the menu and start a new mission, the FPS remains stuck at the lower figures. This happens every time. Its as if something breaks the RadeonPro settings and the benefits never return unless I log out of the game totally, shut down steam and then start it all up again.

I cant for the life of me understand why simply looking over my shoulder/changing my view could have such a ridiculous effect on the game's performance. Especially as the reduced FPS remains even if I restart a fresh mission, and I get the lower FPS in the same situation where I was getting 80-90 previously.

Any ideas guys?

I tried a few of the other profiles too but lost planet was the smoothest and most consistent. Interestingly I also have a 5970 + 2 x 5870s and no such flickering. I do however get FPS degradation over several missions but I dont have a problem looking around the cockpit.
i7 3930K @ 5Ghz AC Kryos Silver WB - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 4way SLI 3GB GTX 580 Aquagrafx WB - 16GB DDR3-2000 - 4 x GTX 360 rads w/ 24 x CM fans & shrouds - 2 x Enermax 1500W PSU - MM Extended Ascension Horizon XL-ATX Case - 2 x Koolance 452x2 Res and 4 x D5 pumps - 3 x 24" Acer H243H LCD Nv Surround
Old 06-06-2011, 02:37 PM

I just tried the Aerial Battle-Dover QMB mission which is an airstart. This time I had a solid FPS in the 90s+ (often well over 100) for the whole 5 or so minutes of the mission (lots of looking over my shoulder which seemed not to break anything this time)....

...then I got shot down (probably spent too much time looking at the FPS counter instead of the baddies).

So I hit exit, and then "restart" and bang ... FPS stuck in the low 30s again for the next run of the same mission

Something is definitely knocking out the benefits of the RadeonPro settings somewhere along the line. God this game is so good (despite all its flaws and missing/broken features) but it is so damn frustrating at times.

Oh well.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:39 PM
speculum jockey

I wonder how many of the performance issues are just bugs that are easily fixed once tracked down and how many are limitations of the engine and the way it was designed to utilize hardware which would require extensive work and re-coding.

I think that DX9 compatibility was probably one of their biggest mistakes. Wasting so much time and effort to make the game compatible for cards that are too slow to run it, and an OS that Microsoft has pretty much abandoned must have eaten up so many man-hours that could have been used to make it run properly on DX10 and DX11 (which are so much easier to code for).
Old 06-07-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:

Any ideas guys?

I have not witnessed a slow FPS degradation over time. Maybe it is because I did not follow a specific sequence of events. Can you record a track where this happens? I can tell you if it happens with my setup.

Try this crossfire profile:
Create one with game title: Battlefield Bad Company 2 and executable name: BFBC2Game.exe this also gave me a good result.

Last edited by roadczar; 06-07-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:48 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoolittleRaider View Post
200 FPS

I am Not a technical person, but I thought that:

1. The human eye can't discriminate/appreciate anything over 72-75FPS; some say 60FPS is limit

2. The limit for the normal LCD monitor is 60FPS...and I'd guess that 95% of folks these days have 60Hz LCD's.

3. I've read that there is absolutely no visible difference between 60 and 200FPS, if you have a 60Hz LCD monitor.

Sooooo...if I am even close to understanding those three matters, I have NO idea what your 200 FPS achievement actually means........?!?

Can you explain?
yes and no
“Violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and tribalism and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children: organized religion ought to have a great deal on its conscience.”
― Christopher Hitchens
Old 06-07-2011, 03:47 AM
speculum jockey

You can easily tell the difference between 30, 60 70, 80, 90, and 100hz. You might even be able to place them in ascending order if your eye is sharp. After 100-110 you're getting into the realm of diminishing returns. Back when I had a top of the line NEC CRT monitor I had to run it at 100hz because anything else seemed to flicker. I could take it all the way up to 120hz, but could notice any improvement past 100hz. Maybe if you had two monitors side by side with each refresh rate you could tell, but not by looking at one then the other.

FPS above your monitor's refresh rate is a waste, unless the game is like CLOD and you need that much overhead to stay above your monitor's RR during intense parts.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:27 AM

On a static image, less than 1 frame per year would be sufficient.
On a static background with slow to medium speed object with a few pixels movement per second, 30 FPS is sufficient as the human brain can automatically fill in the gaps.
On a panning background with static objects the human brain can sometimes fill in the gaps and sometimes not which is why 60FPS or 60Hz is used as the so called benchmark.

On a panning background with fast moving objects the human eye cannot fill in the gaps so frames above 60FPS are useful as the extra frames will fill in the missing info that the brain cannot fill in.

Ever noticed stutter at the cinema or on a TV broadcast??... there is insufficient intermediate detail per frame in a lot of panning shots or fast action so the brain sees a stutter.

This is why above 60FPS even at 60hz looks smoother, because there are more frames available to fill in per screen refresh so the motion looks smoother and more fluid and natural as there are more pixels per inch available to render for panning and moving objects.

I will try to find a graphic to illustrate this.
i7 3930K @ 5Ghz AC Kryos Silver WB - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 4way SLI 3GB GTX 580 Aquagrafx WB - 16GB DDR3-2000 - 4 x GTX 360 rads w/ 24 x CM fans & shrouds - 2 x Enermax 1500W PSU - MM Extended Ascension Horizon XL-ATX Case - 2 x Koolance 452x2 Res and 4 x D5 pumps - 3 x 24" Acer H243H LCD Nv Surround
Old 06-07-2011, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadczar View Post
I have not witnessed a slow FPS degradation over time. Maybe it is because I did not follow a specific sequence of events. Can you record a track where this happens? I can tell you if it happens with my setup.

Try this crossfire profile:
Create one with game title: Battlefield Bad Company 2 and executable name: BFBC2Game.exe this also gave me a good result.
Hi mate

I made a track but whenever I try to upload it i get an error message saying it is an invalid file (sigh)... One of the file types listed when trying to upload is .zip, so I have tried uploading the trk file as is, and also compressed with 7zip and also winzip to no avail..I think I am going to just give up LOL.

For what its worth when I recorded it, this is what happened...

Sitting in Cockpit...FPS mainly between 70-80 (a few dips in to the 60s and the odd spike into the 90s)
I zoom into the right hand side of the cockpit panel...FPS over 100 ... even up to 120
Turn on Fuel cock and magnetos...FPS still 65-75
Start engine...FPS same
Wait for engine to warm up...FPS same
Turn my head and look over right shoulder...FPS instantly drops to high 20s
Look forward again...FPS now remains in the 20s and 30s
Zoom in to right side of cockpit..FPS in the 50s now instead of 100+
Take off, fly a bit, dodge a few bullets, fire a few myself...FPS mainly in 20s and 30s.

I haven't tried the Bad Company profile yet...might leave that to another day if at all. I don't want to sound lazy or unhelpful but I think I am just flogging a dead horse now and am pretty much over all the continual testing. Thanks for the offer to help in any event.

I basically get nice gameplay with solid FPS of 40+ (In QMB missions at least) using pseudo fullscreen (which only uses one of my GPUs on the 5970), so i might just stick with that for now.

It may well be something i am doing wrong to be fair as i am no expert at these things...as being unable to upload the trk file here probably attests!
Old 06-07-2011, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Hi mate

I made a track but whenever I try to upload it i get an error message saying it is an invalid file (sigh)... One of the file types listed when trying to upload is .zip, so I have tried uploading the trk file as is, and also compressed with 7zip and also winzip to no avail..I think I am going to just give up LOL.

For what its worth when I recorded it, this is what happened...

Sitting in Cockpit...FPS mainly between 70-80 (a few dips in to the 60s and the odd spike into the 90s)
I zoom into the right hand side of the cockpit panel...FPS over 100 ... even up to 120
Turn on Fuel cock and magnetos...FPS still 65-75
Start engine...FPS same
Wait for engine to warm up...FPS same
Turn my head and look over right shoulder...FPS instantly drops to high 20s
Look forward again...FPS now remains in the 20s and 30s
Zoom in to right side of cockpit..FPS in the 50s now instead of 100+
Take off, fly a bit, dodge a few bullets, fire a few myself...FPS mainly in 20s and 30s.

I haven't tried the Bad Company profile yet...might leave that to another day if at all. I don't want to sound lazy or unhelpful but I think I am just flogging a dead horse now and am pretty much over all the continual testing. Thanks for the offer to help in any event.

I basically get nice gameplay with solid FPS of 40+ (In QMB missions at least) using pseudo fullscreen (which only uses one of my GPUs on the 5970), so i might just stick with that for now.

It may well be something i am doing wrong to be fair as i am no expert at these things...as being unable to upload the trk file here probably attests!
You can email file to me, I can host it. @hotmail.com