1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 06-07-2011, 12:23 PM

naz TEST FPS.trk

Hey naz, for what it's worth-
When I played your track as you were panning around the cockpit I did see FPS swings like you described. However on my machine FPS were consistent throughout t the track.

Using the highest settings @ 5760x1080 the final FPS were
current 65
average 56
highest 93
lowest 10
Link is included for others to try…
Old 06-08-2011, 12:49 AM

cheers mate
Old 06-08-2011, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naz View Post
Hi mate

I made a track but whenever I try to upload it i get an error message saying it is an invalid file (sigh)... One of the file types listed when trying to upload is .zip, so I have tried uploading the trk file as is, and also compressed with 7zip and also winzip to no avail..I think I am going to just give up LOL.

For what its worth when I recorded it, this is what happened...

Sitting in Cockpit...FPS mainly between 70-80 (a few dips in to the 60s and the odd spike into the 90s)
I zoom into the right hand side of the cockpit panel...FPS over 100 ... even up to 120
Turn on Fuel cock and magnetos...FPS still 65-75
Start engine...FPS same
Wait for engine to warm up...FPS same
Turn my head and look over right shoulder...FPS instantly drops to high 20s
Look forward again...FPS now remains in the 20s and 30s
Zoom in to right side of cockpit..FPS in the 50s now instead of 100+
Take off, fly a bit, dodge a few bullets, fire a few myself...FPS mainly in 20s and 30s.

I haven't tried the Bad Company profile yet...might leave that to another day if at all. I don't want to sound lazy or unhelpful but I think I am just flogging a dead horse now and am pretty much over all the continual testing. Thanks for the offer to help in any event.

I basically get nice gameplay with solid FPS of 40+ (In QMB missions at least) using pseudo fullscreen (which only uses one of my GPUs on the 5970), so i might just stick with that for now.

It may well be something i am doing wrong to be fair as i am no expert at these things...as being unable to upload the trk file here probably attests!
Firstly nice mission.

Everything on high with grass,shadows,roads on @ 1920x1080
Max 155 FPS
AVG 64 FPS

The 155 was when you zoomed into the cockpit dials.
FPS dropped slowly from a higher AVG of about 80 FPS to the 64FPS as the AI planes came into sight.

No issues with FPS dropping while looking over shoulder.
I will double check with another run.

Take II
MAX 166 FPS again when looking at cockpit dials
AVG 110 FPS when on runway starting engine
AVG 50 FPS once in combat (varied between 45-55 FPS) so the actual AVG was too heavily influenced by the amount of time on the ground
Seams the AI didnt really cause the drop in AVG FPS it was the increased draw distance once your airborne.
FPS consistent through out and smooth.

GPU utilisation was 66% for all 4 cards when on the ground and 40% when in combat.
Looks like I need some more CPU cycles for rendering as I have heaps of GPU headroom and only 4 threads of my CPU being used.
The sooner they split rendering to its own cores the better!
i7 3930K @ 5Ghz AC Kryos Silver WB - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 4way SLI 3GB GTX 580 Aquagrafx WB - 16GB DDR3-2000 - 4 x GTX 360 rads w/ 24 x CM fans & shrouds - 2 x Enermax 1500W PSU - MM Extended Ascension Horizon XL-ATX Case - 2 x Koolance 452x2 Res and 4 x D5 pumps - 3 x 24" Acer H243H LCD Nv Surround

Last edited by FS~Phat; 06-08-2011 at 04:46 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:12 AM

Thanks guys. The way the track played on your machines makes total sense, and the relative stable FPS is how it plays in Pseduo mode for me too.

I guess CloD in Full screen mode is just guiving me some helpful "life coaching" ... dont look over your shoulder

Thanks for taking a look
S!
Old 06-12-2011, 06:36 AM

Here's some updated system pics for the beast that get 200FPS out of COD on high at 1920x1080.

I just need to get some Aquacomputer Blue UV additive for the loop to finish the loops and then start buying sleeving stuff to sort the cables.
The left Res is more UV reactant because the loop was running TT UV green and obviously didnt flush as well or maybe even stained the perspex.

i7 3930K @ 5Ghz AC Kryos Silver WB - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 4way SLI 3GB GTX 580 Aquagrafx WB - 16GB DDR3-2000 - 4 x GTX 360 rads w/ 24 x CM fans & shrouds - 2 x Enermax 1500W PSU - MM Extended Ascension Horizon XL-ATX Case - 2 x Koolance 452x2 Res and 4 x D5 pumps - 3 x 24" Acer H243H LCD Nv Surround
Old 06-12-2011, 06:28 PM

Hmmmm.... did I say I like this rig? No, I was wrong!

I love it !

The only thing I just realised is that I am still with wife 1.0 and it seems to require a major upgrade in order to lay my hands on such HW... ROFL

Honestly I like it, it is the second best thing to look at in this forum while waiting for the 3Gb VRAM cards to come in the market (because anything less will not help us...)

~S~
Old 06-12-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula88 View Post
To the OP: Who cares?! Whilst you are wasting time trying to get 201 FPS out of this sim I will be flying it and learning the aircraft subtleties. Wether its 35 or 350 FPS you arent going to notice the difference, no matter how much money you waste on massively over-built PC's it wont make you better at the sim. Maybe some specific body parts on the OP are just that small, the computer takes some attention from that I suppose. Anyways, just remember, regardless of the amount of wasted time and money thrown into that monstrosity it wont make you a better pilot and you wont stand a chance when we meet in the air.

There isnt a game in the world that needs that much hardware to run properly... I havent found anything my system cant run and its far from top of the line. This thread is almost as pointless as a raaaid thread...
There is always one in the crowd...
Old 06-13-2011, 03:51 AM

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"...

Old 06-13-2011, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula88 View Post
To the OP: Who cares?! Whilst you are wasting time trying to get 201 FPS out of this sim I will be flying it and learning the aircraft subtleties. Wether its 35 or 350 FPS you arent going to notice the difference, no matter how much money you waste on massively over-built PC's it wont make you better at the sim. Maybe some specific body parts on the OP are just that small, the computer takes some attention from that I suppose. Anyways, just remember, regardless of the amount of wasted time and money thrown into that monstrosity it wont make you a better pilot and you wont stand a chance when we meet in the air.

There isnt a game in the world that needs that much hardware to run properly... I havent found anything my system cant run and its far from top of the line. This thread is almost as pointless as a raaaid thread...
Im sharing my passion, and I know others appreciate it even if you dont.
BTW, them are fight'n words... good luck getting me in the skies, Im a 10 year veteran of IL2 and 15+ years in combat sims. I'm not too shabby with a snapshot or turn and burn, just ask my squad mates. So watch your 6 buddy

As I have said previously in my post, if you dont have the advantage of higher FPS you wont know what your missing and it is definitely noticeable in how it smooths out overall gameplay and panning while using track-ir.

Finally, there are plenty of games out there that utilise this amount of computing power to the max. COD is obviously one of them. Then there's Metro 2033, Crysis 2, Stalker, Arma 2, ROF and others... need i go on?
Old 06-13-2011, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335th_GRAthos View Post
Hmmmm.... did I say I like this rig? No, I was wrong!

I love it !

The only thing I just realised is that I am still with wife 1.0 and it seems to require a major upgrade in order to lay my hands on such HW... ROFL

Honestly I like it, it is the second best thing to look at in this forum while waiting for the 3Gb VRAM cards to come in the market (because anything less will not help us...)

~S~
Agreed you might need to upgrade to a compatible wife to be able run a system like this. I went through all hell with wife 1.0, 2.0, beta wife 3.0 and now running wife 4.0 before I got to a stable gaming platform.