1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:30 PM

yes, don't use perfect mode
Old 04-05-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =PF=Coastie View Post
Hey Stubs, long time no see man.....I finally got a new rig. Not the bohemoth you are using but a big increase over the old rig.

AMD 955BE/HIS HD 5770/ 4gb PC1600 DDR3/Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 Mobo, Blah, blah, blah....
Yeah man it has been a while. Any news on this front? One of my squad mates just bought a monster of a rig but he really only plays IL2 for the most part.

He has a 5870 which as you know is more than enough card to play this game but the latest Cats are totally broken. In the interim I have him running in excellent mode just to get him up and running.

I've seen some recent posts by Flanker35 which looks like some of this is getting through to the ATI folks. To be honest I so on the fence right now with purchasing a new card. I want to retire my older 8800GTs but Fermi looks to be a bit to hot and pricy given it's tiny performance advantage over the 5870.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:49 PM

S!

Do not worry guys, these issues are being worked on For 5xxx series card easiest way is to use whatever Catalyst, for example the 10.3 official and just drop Cat 9.10 atioglxx.dll to IL-2 folder, disable vertex arrays options (both) from either conf.ini or IL2Setup and play Works for me with Perfect like a charm on the 5870HD.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:15 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker35M View Post
S!

Do not worry guys, these issues are being worked on For 5xxx series card easiest way is to use whatever Catalyst, for example the 10.3 official and just drop Cat 9.10 atioglxx.dll to IL-2 folder, disable vertex arrays options (both) from either conf.ini or IL2Setup and play Works for me with Perfect like a charm on the 5870HD.
+1

I wouldn't play FB at all if I couldn't fly in Perfect mode

B
CH Franken-Tripehound stick and throttle merged, CH Pro pedals. TrackIR 5 and Pro-clip. Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:02 PM

Stubing,

Only Cats after 9.10 are broken, but not totally broken. You just have to do as Flanker suggests or simply start the game, run qmb and crash a plane into the water, and the blocky text will go away. Or you can run the Black death track until the :20 mark and it will go away.

ATI is still looking into this. I will hopefully have an update towards the middle or late this month. I do not want to be a pest to Terry. But I have been in touch with him now and then. He said he will have one of the ATI driver Techs contact me if they need further help reproducing the problem.

Stick with your 8800's for now man. I am sure they still scream with this game.

Be patient!
Old 04-07-2010, 01:01 AM
Approved Member

I'm following him on twitter, as I suspect many of us may be. Still reckon those leaked drivers may be genuine, but haven't tried them.

Also, has anyone tried their new OpenGL drivers? I have a habit of keeping up with the news, but not implementing it
Old 04-07-2010, 06:03 AM

S!

I have tested the new leaked drivers. Seem to work OK in games I play. In IL-2 not fixing the blocky text or blue hue. Read what Coastie wrote above, they will update progress Coastie, got my PM?
Old 04-08-2010, 09:30 AM

I've followed this thread with interest but a lot of it's gone beyond my understanding and I'm a little confused.

I'd like to tweak my settings to improve the appearance of Il2 as I've noticed other's screenshots / videos look far more attractive than mine (anti-aliasing I presume). I think I'm running a decent enough machine to crank the settings up but am confused about how best to do this. I have:

AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core 550 3.10GHz Black Edition overclocked to 3.30
4GB DDR2 1066MHz RAM
ATI Radeon 4890 1024MB GDDR5

I did upgrade my Catalyst drivers a while back but hit the blocky text problem so, after lots of headaches, went back to a previous version. I've been nervous about "upgrading" again for fear of having to spend another weekend rebuilding my machine (and cutting into my rare and valuable playing time).

I generally play offline campaigns as I get too many interruptions to play online for any length of time. I'm keen on eye-candy so would want the cockpit, planes and landscape to be perfect.

Can anyone do me a huge favour and give me a *complete idiots guide* to getting the best out of this setup? I don't have much time to myself so I'd ideally like to start with a perfect graphical setting and reduce if I feel the FPS is too low as I think I'll get to a happy place quicker rather than starting low and increasing the settings.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Approved Member

Dan,

We are running similar systems. (AMD64 955BE, 4Gb RAM, Ati 4890, Win 7 here).
Here is the OpenGL section from my conf.ini :

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=0
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=0
TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0
TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=0
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=0
TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0
TexFlags.ARBMultitextureExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1
TexFlags.SecondaryColorExt=1
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=0
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1

TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=0
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=1
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=1
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=0

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=2
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=3
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=2
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.0625
PolygonOffsetUnits=-1.0

In the Catalyst setup I use the following settings:

Anti-aliasing enabled, level=4x. Filter is Wide tent, samples=8x

Anisotropic is enabled @ 4x

Catalyst AI is Disabled

Mipmap Detail level at High Quality

Vertical refresh is On

Adaptive Anti-aliasing is enabled @ Quality

Triple Buffering is Enabled.......................

The last setting relates to Vertical Refresh which I use to prevent 'tearing' of the cockpit bars when I look around using TIR. If you don't use VR then switch Triple buffering Off.

Have a try with the stuff above. I get very good results with good eye-candy and useable framerates.

B
CH Franken-Tripehound stick and throttle merged, CH Pro pedals. TrackIR 5 and Pro-clip. Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:10 PM

Thanks for that Brando.

I think I might have ended up uninstalling the Catalyst program in frustration but I'll see if I can dig up an old version somewhere. I've just noticed my drivers are probably a little further out of date than ideal too - 8.14.0010.0678.