1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Approved Member

Aye, I says. Proton has a good point there. Wiv these static screens, we can't half get the true picture.
But; can ya' see through fire in that way?
Old 09-12-2010, 11:02 AM

No I do not think so. Even in a small fire or an evolving fire, the flame is always much brighter than the background and "hides" it effectively.
Do not forget than from this brightness standpoint the (fuel related like in the Fw, presumably) Wellington flames are spot on.
On th eother hand shapes and smoke transitions are very good on the Fw...I am pretty sure tha Luthier is simply showing a lot of possibilities and they have a pretty good idea of what is right!
Generally speaking, all airborne flames are too bright to see behind; they maybe of different sizes or colors depending of what is burning, in which quantity, and what are the aircraft speed and altitude (the latter ones are very important, but probably not yet simulated in SoW, and probably not before long...).
The smoke is another matter entirely.

JV
Old 09-12-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanator21 View Post
Or are you part of the development team
He is indeed.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Approved Member

Yes indeed. When SaQSoN speaks it's time for you guys to stand down and actually listen for a change.

And if you all had been paying any kind of attention to what has been written about SOW, and not just glomming on to every screen capture like a flock of crows pecking at a carcass you would know that individual systems in the aircraft will all have their own discreet damage models.

But carry on with your dog and pony show of screen shot debauchery, it's actually fairly entertaining.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 09-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
Yes indeed. When SaQSoN speaks it's time for you guys to stand down and actually listen for a change.

And if you all had been paying any kind of attention to what has been written about SOW, and not just glomming on to every screen capture like a flock of crows pecking at a carcass you would know that individual systems in the aircraft will all have their own discreet damage models.

But carry on with your dog and pony show of screen shot debauchery, it's actually fairly entertaining.

Well said.

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0 | Dedicated Bomber Squadron
'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories
Old 09-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Approved Member

It still doesn't answer the question of the transparent fire. Is this shot just showing the fire starting or what? I'm only asking, as I've yet to see an aircraft on fire and be able to see though the flames to the fuselage section.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winny View Post
I'm pretty sure the devs also know what fire looks like. Fill out topics with useless chatter!? I've posted less than 10 times on here. I stand by what I said.
Your first post in this thread is:
"That's exactly what I was thinking.. Antennagate is now firegate.. ffs. "

Since you said you do not post useless chatter, then it must be serious.
So, Oleg and team reads this apparently serious statement,... what are you trying to say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuerfalke View Post
Just one question: Do you really insist that Oleg should move more people from making physics, damage or map-modeling to create more realistic flames, smoke and explosions that render at 80FPS on your medicore PC?

How else would you describe your ... input as constructive criticism?
I never said Oleg/1C do anything more then take a look at what I am saying and the detail provided.

It is up to Oleg to decide if it's worth modifying, and if so the priority and effort decided to expend on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedToo View Post
Oleg does listen and Oleg does reply - when he has time. I have sent pictures and information to Oleg for BoB SoW and he has a) used the info. and b) replied personally about it.

It is worthwhile posting constructive criticism in a measured way backed up with evidence. Frantishek is picking up on a small point but he is going about it in the right way. I'm with him on this one.

RedToo.
Thank you.

To rest:
Oleg has demanded an unprecedented amount of detail in SoW, it is sure to be the Sim to compare with for years, maybe decades.
Details is what Oleg is looking at, and this is a detail.

I present him an opinion, an explanation, and historical documents best as I can provide. Rest is Oleg. (This is not the first game I beta tested!)

Someone said who will notice? Others will. It will not happen often, but their will be times when players will be in positions to see a flaming aircraft for a few seconds, and will see those details.
Such as this one:

Old 09-12-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
There are a lots of fuel related controls and instruments in the pilot's cockpit, such as fuel cocks, fuel tank selectors, manual fuel pumps, primer pumps, fuel pressure manometers, etc. All this devices are connected to the aircraft fuel system with numerous fuel lines, which go through wings and fuselage to the cockpit. And all those lines are modeled in the collision model in the game. Any of this lines may be damaged and become the source of fuel leak and fire.
Quote:
Well, my apologies for offending anyone...It was just surprising - It has been said of course that the DM would be more detailed, but I don't think it has been said explicitly to what degree.

Modeling cylinders and prop-governors is a little different that modeling a thin fuel line, and structuring flames to erupt from the exact point that the little line is hit. It seemed too good to be true, not to say that Oleg&Co aren't programming miracle workers.

Anyway, I thought I'd repost this:

It's a little old (2005) so a lot could have changed, bit it's not totally obvious from this that fuel lines are modeled. Likely, I don't fully understand what is going on in these illustrations. This was the cause of my "skepticism" of such fine detail.

However, one can see how this surpasses Il-2 in all counts. You can clearly see the spars, control lines, hinges/attachment points for control surfaces, firewalls, bulkheads, armor plates/glass, radiators, governors, engine block, supercharger, oil reservoir, guns, ammo bins, radio, battery, etc.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Such as this one:
You have to be careful when using wartime photography, or any photography for that matter. The camera captures things a little differently than the human eye, especially with regard to points of light, like flames.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avimimus View Post
Btw. Oleg has incorporated numerous feedback over the years. He is incredibly responsive (given development schedules and funding). Some of my requests were even included.

I'm sure that they are spending too much time checking feedback given that most features must be almost fixed by this point in development (and given that they've been collecting input for it for almost a decade).
Yes.

Luke and Pillip.ed are also right.

What will help everyone is make the initial comment as detailed as possible and move on, except if more info is discovered. Its up to the pros @ 1C to go with it.