1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer 1C: Maddox Games.

View Poll Results: Steam poll
Yes I have and like using Steam 256 54.47%
Yes I have and dont like using Steam 67 14.26%
No I do not have Steam but will for CoD 52 11.06%
No I do not have Steam and will not for CoD 95 20.21%
Voters: 470. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-2011, 06:07 PM

Multi quote King!
Old 03-15-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/ZG52_HaDeS View Post
In this WWII Combat Simulator marked it IS loss. CoD is NOT Arma.

Not necessarily, I know someone on this forum who most probably voted that he would not order the game in this poll, and seems to have ordered 2 copies (at least one for sure, since he did not cancel the order I placed for him )
Old 03-15-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
In this WWII Combat Simulator marked it IS loss. CoD is NOT Arma.

And this is entertaining of yours. First you write:

And then:

I assume yours are based in "careful, scientific calculation", LoL

Again, don't confuse CoD/IL2 with Call of Duty or Left 4 Dead 2. They are completely different markets with completely different characteristics like players age.

And this is the most entertaining of yours:

STEAM IS a Third-Party Software having nothing to do with the Game itself. Perhaps you should check your dictionary as you sound pretty ignorant to say the least.

Agreed on that. STEAM IS Much More than a VIRUS.

P.S.
And to quote a friend of mine:

Informative links, worth to read:

"Trusted Computing"
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/can-you-trust.html

Anti-DRM:
http://www.defectivebydesign.org/

Free Software Society:
http://shop.fsf.org/product/free-sof...ree-society-2/

Electronic Frontier:
http://www.eff.org/about

The Sony-BMG Rootkit Fiasco:
http://www.eff.org/cases/sony-bmg-litigation-info

Public Knowledge:

http://www.publicknowledge.org/
Monopoly on the pc, really? Pretty impossible tbh since it's an open platform(Microsoft tried and failed, one example was trying to prevent anyone from using another Web browser), anyone can start a rival service at any time and offer a better user experience yet devs, and users stick to Steam and i wonder why? Oh wait could it be because, its not a virus and the user experience / service is great.. yup. The consoles on the other hand is a different story, were everything goes via MS,Sony as a developer & player you've no choice to being with.

Last edited by zauii; 03-15-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfire257 View Post
Regarding the Maths, even a 2% loss is massive. Lets say 1C sell 1,000,000 units. Now, factor in the lost sales: what is 2% of 1,000,000? 20,000. 20,000 units at £30 of revenue each is £600,000 lost. So, that is nothing, of course. Would you turn down £600,000 of revenue?
What you seem to overlook is the tens of thousands extra sales they will get due to using Steam.
Steam has over 30 million "active" (logged into in last 30 days) user accounts and those will almost all see an add for IL2: COD at some point..either while browsing the games list or during sales when it's put in the spotlight.

So the 2% that might not buy the game because of Steam will be dwarfed by the thousands who will discover IL2 thanks to steam and buy subsequent releases+tell their sim oriented friends.

In the end it's a no-brainer for any company really. (even ignoring the provided anti-cheat)
Old 03-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Approved Member

I seriously cannot fathom that some people here are actually against Steam.

Considering it is one of the finest digital distribution platforms in the world, and most of the initial problems have been ironed out, you'd think you lot were actually willing to accept that it is the perfect technology for CoD.

Do you really think it is a coincidence that every single semi-major PC release today is distributed and marketed, primarily through Steam?

Stop being such little crybabies, buy the game, and enjoy the service Steam will provide.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:16 PM

steam works for me

i heard that steam was run by Galen Thurber, and a team of oompalumpa Galen clones
tis the devil i tell you LOL

Craig
Old 03-15-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra8472 View Post
I seriously cannot fathom that some people here buy the game, and enjoy the service Steam will provide.
I won't, and i am mature enough to keep my word. Be sure that 1000s will use "other alternatives".
Old 03-15-2011, 09:05 PM

i had steam once on my PC for a game i had nothing but missery and never could play that game in the end. Countless mails to Steam were never answered by them. So i will never allow it back on my PC not even for COD
Old 03-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I won't, and i am mature enough to keep my word. Be sure that 1000s will use "other alternatives".
Oh terrific another that decides the "other alternatives" are better than installing a piece of software that currently has literally millions of satisfied users.
So much so that every major publisher, pushing every major release, realises that Steam is the best way to market their game; for the good of all PC gamers.

Honestly I truly believe (and I'm not alone) that without Steam pushing hard to keep PC gaming where it is today, we would all be forced to buy a damn console if we wanted to continue with our hobby.

Won't it be great when we're all using "other alternatives" for all of the old games that were released on PC and there are no new games because all of the publishers have decided that because of all the "other alternatives" there's no point in publishing games for PC any more.

Seriously, some people need to wake up and realise that PC gaming will die unless there are more ways to STOP piracy, ensure that publishers actually make a return on their investments, make sure that games developers can continue doing what they do best without their hard work being distributed through "other alternatives"

And instead of discussing all of the things that Steam can do for PC gaming, people moan when they realise they can't have things nice and simple, just the way they like, just like the good old days, sod what the publishers need.

Games publishing is a business, the publishers need to ensure they get a decent return on their investment, otherwise it's not economically viable for them to continue.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that something like Steam HAD TO HAPPEN to keep PC gaming viable?

All those whining that Steam shouldn't be necessary consider this:
There are alternatives to using Windows as an operating system; do you choose to use Linux instead, or MAC OSX? Oh, but if you don't run Windows you can't run CloD.
So shouldn't 1C and UBI be slated for not offering the game on alternative operating systems?

Last edited by Extreme_One; 03-15-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:28 PM

I'd recomend trying it again. it was xxxx when i first started using it when HL2 came out but over the years it's become really not that bad. automatically keeping games up to date, not having to hunt down CDs and keys upon re-installs, shitf-tab-ing to IM with friends while games are running, some games being able to pre-load so you cam play within minutes of the game being released, awesome store specials. for every short-comming there's at least 10 awesome features to more than make up for it.

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 03-19-2011 at 10:47 AM.