1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: The Legend > Tips and Hints

Tips and Hints Different solutions, tips and hints.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Approved Member

Default Keeping up mana in battles

As a mage I'm supposed to have loads of mana. But 54 just isn't enough when I have to cast Resurrection, Phantom, etc. every round. Is there any way to keep up mana in battles APART from Concentration, Chargers and Mana Spring abuse? (note: I do not have Emeralds yet )
Old 10-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Approved Member

Phantom and resurrection spells is more suited for a fighter play style and going that road is not a good choice for a mage. Destructive spells works much much better.Invisibility, Fire rain and Armageddon(Astral damage so no protection for enemy.) combined with Glot Armor ,Time Back, Chargers and Poison Cloud should be enough for the entire game. And the beauty is that you only need one stack of troops for that to work.Sprite + Anga Ruby is always a good choice , switched later with Emerald dragons.With some luck,rushing to Demonis,you can have Fire Rain and Armageddon in day 3.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdrake View Post
As a mage I'm supposed to have loads of mana. But 54 just isn't enough when I have to cast Resurrection, Phantom, etc. every round. Is there any way to keep up mana in battles APART from Concentration, Chargers and Mana Spring abuse? (note: I do not have Emeralds yet )
We have to take your mana in context with your level; what level are you, and at what point of the game are you right now?

Concentration/Chargers/Mana Spring/Emeral Green Dragons are the only way of increasing your mana while in a battle.

As for your maximum mana, there are two items that you are sure to get in the game: 1) Image of Sorcery (+20 mana) sold by the artist after the near completion of the griffin king's painting quest, and 2) Old Skull (+3 intellect/+10 mana) given by the shaman at Ellinia.

As a mage, you should also have chosen to start a game wherein the Ancient Amulet (+4 intellect/+15 mana) is sold at the temple beside King Mark's castle; it's a big help, especially at the start, but no need to fret (too much) if you didn't do this.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Approved Member

thanks guys! I'm level 14 right now, INT 19, and NO image of sorcery, old skull or ancient amulet. I'm in the Taron Mines, doing ok so far but there's some pretty big armies there. I don't have sprites and there's nowhere to get them. As for destructive spells, well the only spell that seems worthwhile is my 1400-2400 damage, 10M lvl3 Trap spell. Compared to that, the rest of the spells seem expensive in comparison ( like Ice Snake, 1100 damage, 15M, lvl2). I don't have any of the spells you mentioned, neither do I have Time Back. By the way, I have no idea how you guys get to Demonis at Day 3 - I'm at Day 14 currently o.O
Old 10-08-2009, 08:23 PM

Your mana is at an acceptable level at that point of the game.

I hope on your initial visit to the Islands of Freedom you went ahead and killed Duke Sov to comlete the Griffin King's 1st quest; only in completing the Griffin King's 2nd quest would you have the chance to buy the Image of Sorcery.

Since you have Distortion magic at level 3, you might want to give Slow a try as well. Only level 2 Slow is needed, and try it out on movement 3 melee enemies.

Don't worry too much about the days/time, as well if you missed out some quests/steps. The people who could finish the game in 10 days or less, even at level 30 and no casualties, are those who have probably finished it multiple times already. Just enjoy the game, especially on your first run, then challenge yourself afterward once you are more knowledgeable. KBTL is a great game in that it has very good replay value.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Approved Member

You go to Demonis in day 3 by avoiding battles. Here is a method.
Day 1 start doing as many quest as you can in Darion and fight only the fights
you need to advance with the quests. Around morning but not after 7:00 you kill the turtle.
Day 2 continue with the quests.You can start clearing all enemy stacks in Darion if you like. I myself left them alive in case ,later,i find items who need a certain number of fights to give extra bonuses.(pain skull,intelligence ring ,Banner of true faith, etc.).Around morning but not after 7:00 you go to Freedom Island. But before you go there leave all army in castles having no army at all with you.
Day 3
Once you are in freedom Island stick with the main quest and leave the islands unexplored for now.The route is :Scott Thomas - Mirabella-Captain Black Eye (Anga's ruby quest) - Lucky James.
At this point pay 100k for the map ,look for an enemy stack and enter the battle .Having no army you lose .So the game will teleport you back to the king's castle.From here continue the main quests but not forgetting to take a route to Marshan Swamp for the Holy Indulgence (Anga' Ruby).Once you got it go to the Dwarfs. From there go to Demonis via Underground Sea.Once you are in Demonis start exploring around avoiding the enemy.With enough luck you will find the spells you need it.Before you leave you may want to look for a stack of dwarfs in a prison near Baal's castle . They are around 400-500 and they will join you for saving them.Use them to storm King's son castle even if they will be out of control in the battle.The strategy to do this is simple. Have them and a troop with no retaliation and enough speed to outrun them. Start the battle casting Invisibility on the "No retaliation" stack. The demoness from enemy's army will use Infernal Exchange on your dwarfs. The dwarfs will kill all the enemy for you.All you have to do is to cast Pain mirror on the dwarfs and keep your other stack invisible.Combine this with Poison cloud from rage spirit Sleem. Once the enemy are dead you can start fighting the remaining dwarfs until they return to your control.
So here you have it. Return to King Mark,witch usually is before 7:00 in the morning , take the boat to Freedom Islands finish the Holy Indulgence Quest and start killing. After that you can be in Ellinia in day 5.

Last edited by bucazaurus; 10-08-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:22 AM
Approved Member

Thanks for that, you explained how people get to Ellinia on day 5 really clearly. That's always confused me and I've finished the game 5 times. Playing the game through without any tricks to save time, it seems to take at least 20 or so days to complete the game if you defeat everything.

The other thing is, when you say you are going to Demonis on day 3, you mean that you are dodging a hell of a lot of enemy stacks, right? I have gotten quite good at this too, and it is possible to get into Demonis, but there is a fair bit of reloading involved, especially if there is an enemy hero at the gate to Demonis in Underground Sea.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:00 AM

There is a different approach though; you could still do the no-army-suicide trick to go back to Darion from Islands of Freedom, but you really shouldn't be avoiding battles, especially if aside from a 7 Day game you also want a high score.

Attached is a screenshot of my paladin at Ellinia, Day 5, level 20 (since I killed practically everything in Darion and Islands of Freedom), with Demonesses with High morale that only Anga's Ruby could provide; this is also on Impossible difficulty and a no-casualties run as well.

I'm not yet finished, still clearing out Ellinia, then will proceed to the Death Lands; I might create a detailed FAQ after and post it to show how to do this.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Day 5 at Ellinia with AR.bmp (2.25 MB, 54 views)
Old 10-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Approved Member

Thanks guys! Really nice info there, especially on day 5 ellinia run. By the way, I already have Slow lvl1 and with Boots of the Mystic I think they're called, its the same as Slow lvl2.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loreangelicus View Post
We have to take your mana in context with your level; what level are you, and at what point of the game are you right now?

Concentration/Chargers/Mana Spring/Emeral Green Dragons are the only way of increasing your mana while in a battle.

As for your maximum mana, there are two items that you are sure to get in the game: 1) Image of Sorcery (+20 mana) sold by the artist after the near completion of the griffin king's painting quest, and 2) Old Skull (+3 intellect/+10 mana) given by the shaman at Ellinia.

As a mage, you should also have chosen to start a game wherein the Ancient Amulet (+4 intellect/+15 mana) is sold at the temple beside King Mark's castle; it's a big help, especially at the start, but no need to fret (too much) if you didn't do this.
Also don't forget the Cloak/Robe/Mantle of Wizardry, gives you +20 Mana and +30% magic resistance for your troop.

Another great item that lets you regenerate mana at a higher rate is the Belt "Well of Mana". It makes you regenerate +3 Mana per round, and unlike the regeneration rate of the Concentration skill, this doesn't halves at every 10th turn. So basically, with Level 3 Concentration, you get 9 (6+3) mana for the first 10 turns, 7 (4+3) for the next, and 5 (2+3) for the final round.

There is also the combined item bonus of the Monk's Belt, Bandage of Concentration and Pilgrim's boots which gives you additional +2 mana per turn. But, I could never gather all 3 items, and anyway the three don't have so great statistics.