1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer 1C: Maddox Games.

View Poll Results: Steam poll
Yes I have and like using Steam 256 54.47%
Yes I have and dont like using Steam 67 14.26%
No I do not have Steam but will for CoD 52 11.06%
No I do not have Steam and will not for CoD 95 20.21%
Voters: 470. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2011, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novotny View Post
Ain't nothing wrong with that, and you're also entirely polite.

What would be a shame though, is not trying it for fear of not liking it. Maybe wait and see how the early adopters feel, but - what's that saying - cutting off your nose to spite your face seems a pity.
This sounds a lot like the arguments I have with my kids about trying new foods.

Kid:"It looks yucky I want chicken nuggets"
Me:"Have you tried it?"
Kid:"NO, cuz I won't like it"
Me:"How can you know you won't like it if you don't try it. Now take a bight."
Kid:*nibbles at food, five minutes later the plate is cleared.
Me:"How was it?"
Kid:"Very yummy!"
Old 03-08-2011, 04:12 AM
Approved Member

hehe. In fairness to El Aurens, and a few others, they have had bad experiences with Steam. I'm just willing to bet that Steam has improved, and/or their system may have played a part, or lastly but most definitely, our community can help iron out any issues that crop up for anyone.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:24 AM
speculum jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
My opposition to it is solely based on the less than stellar experience I had with it in the past.

I'm not saying it's the tool of the devil, or any other conspiracy theory that can be ascribed to it.

If I own a hard copy of the sim, purchased through a traditional retailer, that already has copy protection/DRM/anti-zombieware on it already, why should I or anyone else be forced into having yet another layer of complexity added to what is already a very CPU intensive piece of software?

I'm not saying that Maddox Games/1C/UBI should not market on Steam for those that like that approach.

I just don't understand forcing it on everyone, even if they do not buy their copy from Steam.

What is wrong with that?
Old 03-08-2011, 04:38 AM

I'm using Steam a few years now, Halflife, TF2, L4D2, Il2-1946 and it works perfect. Downloading goes with 2 - 3 mb/s.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:22 AM
Approved Member

Anyone out there who doesn't know and is wondering what this Steam stuff is all about can install it and have a look for themselves -

http://store.steampowered.com/about/

I'm hoping they've just made the Steam requirement compulsory for using the game's built-in server-browsing features, and that we can still use third-party utilities like Hyperlobby, by-passing the in-game browser and Steam altogether if we want to, but I kind of doubt it. I thought the fact that they're effectively using two forms of DRM/activation, SolidShield's and Steam's, might make that so, but looking into it I see there are several other games out there that require both SolidShield and Steam activation. So...

While there is the slim possibility that Ubisoft's decision to require activation via SolidShield DRM means it may not be necessary to use Steam at all, the chances are, they've just added that in on top of Steam's built-in activation requirements.

Not enough information at this point to be absolutely sure about it. But, "Please note that the game will also use the Steam platform for services such as matchmaking, anti-cheat etc… So you will need a Steam account to play the game.", probably does mean, short of cracked versions, you will in fact need to download and install and make a Steam account in order to play online, and to activate your copy of the game even if you then just play off-line.

xxxx happens.

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 03-19-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearfactor View Post
I've been looking forward to this sim for years and been on this forum for a good while too but sad to say I won't buy this som now. I'll buy ROF instead even though it doesn't have much for oflline players. At least they eventually stopped the constant online requirement. Something Oleg and crew apparently did not learn a lesson from. I really don't play online so I don't want to even have a connection up when I play a game.
I'm afraid you got that backwards - ROF still needs a constant connection to play the campaign, which will also apply to the coming overhauled campaign, while Steam has a pure offline mode. I've blocked Steam in the Firewall by default and it works just fine that way.

I can't really say I like Steam, as I don't consider the features it provides as substantial (auto-patching and re-downloading are nice but nothing I really need either). But I have to admit it works for me, looks like a solid piece of software that isn't very intrusive and mostly gets out of my way. As far as DRM goes it's about as much as I'm willing to accept - I'm still more worried about that SolidShield stuff because it's new and may have some drawbacks nobody's yet aware of.

Last edited by The Kraken; 03-08-2011 at 06:16 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-08-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post

I'm hoping they've just made the Steam requirement compulsory for using the game's bulit-in server-browsing features, and that we can still use third-party utilities like Hyperlobby, by-passing the in-game browser and Steam altogether if we want to, but I kind of doubt it. I thought the fact that they're effectively using two forms of DRM/activation, SolidShield's and Steam's, might make that so, but looking into it I see there are several other games out there that require both SolidShield and Steam activation. So...

While there is the slim possibility that Ubisoft's decision to require activation via SolidShield DRM means it may not be necessary to use Steam at all, the chances are, they've just added that in on top of Steam's built-in activation requirements.

Not enough information at this point to be absolutely sure about it. But, "Please note that the game will also use the Steam platform for services such as matchmaking, anti-cheat etc… So you will need a Steam account to play the game.", probably does mean, short of cracked versions, you will in fact need to download and install and make a Steam account in order to play online, and to activate your copy of the game even if you then just play off-line.
My thoughts as well. The fact this was dropped on people 2 weeks before release of CoD is pretty amazing,and you can't even get a straight answer at UBI right now,with even their representative on the forum telling us different info to what is stated on their website!
I have not pre ordered CoD,and will not buy it yet,as there are still a lot of unanswered questions.Its been said many times by people,with UBI involved anything can happen.
I await the next bombshell with baited breath, 'cos I don't think this one will be the last...

Q6600 @ 2.4 / 4 GB ddr2 / GTX285 1 gb gfx / W7 64
Whiners to fanboys in one move, who'd a thought it!
Old 03-08-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Anyone out there who doesn't know and is wondering what this Steam stuff is all about can install it and have a look for themselves -

http://store.steampowered.com/about/

I'm hoping they've just made the Steam requirement compulsory for using the game's bulit-in server-browsing features, and that we can still use third-party utilities like Hyperlobby, by-passing the in-game browser and Steam altogether if we want to, but I kind of doubt it. I thought the fact that they're effectively using two forms of DRM/activation, SolidShield's and Steam's, might make that so, but looking into it I see there are several other games out there that require both SolidShield and Steam activation. So...

xxxx happens.
Ubi is really doing its EVERYTHING to make the game sell as little as possible!

I was ready to buy the game and be happy with it even with constant needed online connection. But Steam? I might as well throw the money away.

Last edited by KG26_Alpha; 03-19-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:14 AM
Approved Member

Don't do that! I'll give you my paypal details.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:57 AM

For people who are thinking its funny that some are now saying they will not buy CoD,really,its not.Lost sales are a tragedy for the future of CoD,because these are the very people who have been around for years,and could be relied upon to buy every expansion Oleg brings out.
The average gamer kiddie just wants the 'next big thing' all the time,and might buy CoD on steam,but within a few weeks will move on to something else without a backwards glance.
Thats not funny.

Q6600 @ 2.4 / 4 GB ddr2 / GTX285 1 gb gfx / W7 64
Whiners to fanboys in one move, who'd a thought it!