1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 03-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Approved Member

Default Outerra tech demo :)

http://www.outerra.com/forum/index.php?topic=637.0

Downloading...
Old 03-01-2012, 03:09 PM

S!

Looks nice
Old 03-01-2012, 05:01 PM

just tried it briefly for 15min

what can i say..

noted it barely stressed the graphics card, although you can see full use of tessellation to generate uneven terrain and rocky surfaces on mountain slopes (imagine the dover cliffs in CLoD like that )

this has got to be the most amazing piece of software i've seen ever for rendering large terrain. i'm still shaking

the possibilities for generating next gen landscapes for a flighsim are simply mind blowing. i think the future must be it.

and while not wanting to open pandora's box, the inevitable comparison really shows the landscape in CLoD as sub par and sub coded. rushed job really, and pity that it is. while unrivaled by all other competition, and rather nice on it's own, plus getting better and with promise of drastically improved performance, pals, for me Outerra just took its crown by a fair margin. the very opposite of a resource hog, with mind blowing results. even if the comparison may be a bit unfair at this point, but afaik some conclusions seemed too evident.

Last edited by Jatta Raso; 03-01-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Approved Member

I had the opposite reaction, some bits were good but overall I thought it looked pretty bad and very generic. Certainly prefer CoD's graphics by a long shot.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:20 PM

hmm i got a little over excited, but it's a demo, and real landscapes do tend to be a bit generic. i thought the mountain slopes looked terrific, and the tree placement rather real. terrain isn't patched into different fields, but that could easily be added though

Last edited by Jatta Raso; 03-01-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatta Raso View Post
just tried it briefly for 15min

what can i say..

noted it barely stressed the graphics card, although you can see full use of tessellation to generate uneven terrain and rocky surfaces on mountain slopes (imagine the dover cliffs in CLoD like that )

this has got to be the most amazing piece of software i've seen ever for rendering large terrain. i'm still shaking

the possibilities for generating next gen landscapes for a flighsim are simply mind blowing. i think the future must be it.

and while not wanting to open pandora's box, the inevitable comparison really shows the landscape in CLoD as sub par and sub coded. rushed job really, and pity that it is. while unrivaled by all other competition, and rather nice on it's own, plus getting better and with promise of drastically improved performance, pals, for me Outerra just took its crown by a fair margin. the very opposite of a resource hog, with mind blowing results. even if the comparison may be a bit unfair at this point, but afaik some conclusions seemed too evident.

Well, you said it yourself pretty much: if it's better it's because it's dedicated to doing only one thing.
That's the first thing they ever taught us in computer programming class by the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo'bar View Post
Only bad things will be commented. Good things are expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
War is usually the massacre of young people that don't know each other for the sake of old people who don't fight and know each other.