1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeFan View Post
Yes..I agree. Also... look at racing games like Gran Turismo and Forza for instance. These sim-like games seems to be more popular than arcadey games, so hopefully the flight games for consoles head in this direction too...
Far more popular. Forza 2 crushed the arcade racers like PGR and all of those random cash-in ones that get released every year.

IL-2 BOP may not be well known to the market right now, but word of mouth from a great demo is all it needs.

At the end of the day, most people love aircraft and the concept of flying. Sure, they might not love it as much as we do, but most people find something about it fascinating. If IL-2 has great controls, it looks fantastic, there's no reason why people wouldn't really like it.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:19 AM

I like the blur effect looks good
Old 06-28-2009, 07:03 AM

Kind of off topic, but I just now saw the newest trailer and I am in complete awe. I mean, it doesn't get much more epic than at point 1:06 with the two spits chasing down the 109...the music is perfectly timed for that particular part....so awesome

Old 06-28-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgee1516 View Post
Kind of off topic, but I just now saw the newest trailer and I am in complete awe. I mean, it doesn't get much more epic than at point 1:06 with the two spits chasing down the 109...the music is perfectly timed for that particular part....so awesome
Yes that part of the trailer is somwhat special, but i cant help but notice the *Coming Soon* at the end of it,

Gets me upbeat everytime
Old 06-28-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
There's no way though that they are ingame un-doctored images. If they were it would represent a generational change which the 360 and PS3 are just not capable of.
(Sorry to reply to an old post in a bumped thread.)

This was my initial reaction as well. In fact, I was pretty certain the screens were from PC-based development kit (which they still may be, given that the native resolution is a fair bit higher than the rendering buffer on either Xbox 360 or PS3 is likely to be).

But then I sat down with a friend who is the CGI VFX guy for a TV ad production company, and he talked me through what a modern FPS has to do in order to look as good as it does (using Killzone 2 as an example), and how relatively little work a flight sim 3D engine has to do by comparison.

In fact, in his opinion as something of a 3D programming guru, a flight sim developed to utilise modern console hardware properly should look at least as good as the released BoP screenshots. Sure, it's a "generational leap" over anything we've flown before, but ask yourself this: When last has a sim been developed (on any platform) to push modern graphics hardware to the limit? It's been… quite a while, eh?

Go and play a bout of Killzone 2 or Gears of War 2 (depending on your console of choice), looking carefully at what goes on on-screen. And then look at the IL-2 screens again. You should see what my friend meant: Yep, it should indeed look as good as all that.