1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer 1C: Maddox Games.

View Poll Results: Steam poll
Yes I have and like using Steam 256 54.47%
Yes I have and dont like using Steam 67 14.26%
No I do not have Steam but will for CoD 52 11.06%
No I do not have Steam and will not for CoD 95 20.21%
Voters: 470. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2011, 07:47 AM
Approved Member

I get the impression that oleg was forced down the steam vac route after the il2 hardcoding was cracked and they were too far along with the new engine to generate a new anticheating system
Old 03-14-2011, 08:00 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
What I am asking is why the draconian requirement to have a Steam account to use the software even if you did not buy it from Steam.
It's about choice and freedom in the market place.
Exactly! I can't understand companies willing to "force you" into a single option.

Also, after inspecting STEAM "agreement license" you can't agree with such abusive conditions:

"Steam does NOT guarantee continuous, error-free, virus-free or secure operation and access to steam, the software, your account and or your subscriptions"

Reading a further more you also find out that it restricts game registration and playability to the buyer's country of residence, availability is not guaranteed and there is no legal obligation to release an update disabling the authentication system in the event that Steam becomes permanently unavailable.

So they basically take your money, and do whatever they want with you. Then they eventually stop supporting your beloved game and leave you out without options.

If that is not abusive (to say the least), then I don't know what this word means.

No respect for the sincere customer.

I am very sad: no CoD for me under those conditions. I want to pay BIG money for a game so that I receive a CD-DVD, register it once and then have the freedom of playing it unrestrictively as long as I want in any country and without depending on a corporation that from the start tells you they don't care about supporting you and hence they only will be source of problems.

EDIT: I am so sad about this, I even forgot to say, hello everybody (I usually only read, but now I just had to make a first post)

Last edited by Maori; 03-14-2011 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Forgot the essentials: say "Hello" on my 1rst post :)
Old 03-14-2011, 08:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maori View Post
Exactly! I can't understand companies willing to "force you" into a single option

EDIT: I am so sad about this, I even forgot to say, hello everybody (I usually only read, but now I just had to make a first post)
Welcome to the future.. goodbye and good luck trying to find a new flight simulator that doesn't use 3rd party software that will piss you off, steam to me is certainly the lesser of two evils as a large percentage of games on the pc require steam or games for windows live.

Trust me games for windows live currently make steam look like tranquility, people who are surprised il2 uses steam or some sort of third party software have had there eyes shut and fingers in their ears for the past 5 years at least...
Old 03-14-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maori View Post
Exactly! I can't understand companies willing to "force you" into a single option.

Also, after inspecting STEAM "agreement license" you can't agree with such abusive conditions:

"Steam does NOT guarantee continuous, error-free, virus-free or secure operation and access to steam, the software, your account and or your subscriptions"

Reading a further more you also find out that it restricts game registration and playability to the buyer's country of residence, availability is not guaranteed and there is no legal obligation to release an update disabling the authentication system in the event that Steam becomes permanently unavailable.

So they basically take your money, and do whatever they want with you. Then they eventually stop supporting your beloved game and leave you out without options.

If that is not abusive (to say the least), then I don't know what this word means.

No respect for the sincere customer.

I am very sad: no CoD for me under those conditions. I want to pay BIG money for a game so that I receive a CD-DVD, register it once and then have the freedom of playing it unrestrictively as long as I want in any country and without depending on a corporation that from the start tells you they don't care about supporting you and hence they only will be source of problems.

You honestly believe that anyone can promise you perfection? Seriously its obviously there because unforeseen things always can occur and that you should be aware. Exactly the same thing applies for your electricity in your house there is no 100% guarantee neither is there a 100% guarantee that your Internet connection stays online 24/7 and your more than welcome to list all the products that would be rendered completely useless in your house without electricity.

Fascinating how dependent we are huh?

The kind of perfection and stability requirements some people expect are tiresome, the service will be up an running 99% of the time just like anything else.

Last edited by zauii; 03-14-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Approved Member

I will guarantee you that if this discussion was about head tracking software, that the majority of the Steam fan boys would be against the major player in the technology and for (free) choice in the marketplace.

Why is the discussion about Steam any different?

The hypocricy runs deep here.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov

Last edited by ElAurens; 03-14-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
I will guarantee you that if this discussion was about head tracking software, that the majority of the Steam fan boys would be against the major player in the technology and for (free) choice in the marketplace.
Why is the discussion about Steam any different?
The hypocricy runs deep here.
How can you compare head tracking to the use of steam, no comparison find a better argument if it means so much to you...

P.S. I use track ir, what do you use?

Steam is the lesser evil out of all the tools out there, plain and simple.

Last edited by JG52Krupi; 03-14-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zauii View Post
You honestly believe that anyone can promise you perfection? Seriously its obviously there because unforeseen things always can occur and that you should be aware.
With all due respect, but I see you completely missed the point

and may I add that dependence to steam is not at all necessary, but artificially induced by the way CoD is delivered.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:20 PM

Oh how we will all laugh if come the release date steam won't let us activate our copy...

Q6600 @ 2.4 / 4 GB ddr2 / GTX285 1 gb gfx / W7 64
Whiners to fanboys in one move, who'd a thought it!
Old 03-14-2011, 12:30 PM

You posted in a wrong thread.
There's a special one for 'goodbyes'.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabayo View Post
I have never or will ever use anything like steam or any other programs in
order to play an on line air combat flight sim. So I will not buy COD. Or any other product by UBI or 1 C if I have to give up my freedom to some cheap
azz thrid party in order to play on line. Its like having big brother watching you. NO THANK YOU!!!!! So IMHO you can take COD and put it where the sun don't shine. To those who will say "So what"!! or It to bad, maybe you like thrid party spy-ware on your PC or what to have some big company spying on you, then I say more power to you. As for me I am not going to have a game like this, if I can not buy a DVD and be able to install it with out all the trouble or hassle in order to play on line. To those who say this is the future and so live with it. I say KISS MY BUTT!!! Because I don't have to live with it, or buy this crap. I stay with Il-2 1946.
Funny , didn't Microsoft take away your "freedom" a long time ago then?
Another bunch of false accusations to try and stir up some revolution i recon?

"I can't run IL2S on win95 , they've completely taken my freedom away!" sounds almost as ridiculous as your entire post actually.. just to put it into perspective.