1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:06 PM

Default What aviation related hobbies do you have?

Hi guys.

What aviation related hobbies do you have? Though it would be a good thread to get a little background on us away from BoP

For me, its collecting diecast models of WW2 planes and more recently i tried my hand at making a grass stand for them to sit upon.

Here's some of my collection. Sorry for the poor quality of some pics, i had to use the iphone for some of them.

My two Hurricanes (1:32 scale)

Some more of my Hurries

My Hurries on my attempted grass strip

My Luftwaffe

Some more of my RAF including two 1:72 heavies!!

My yank fighters

Some of my attempts of making a grass trip with planes on -

FAA

Hurricane!!

My B17 (big thing)

Spitfire

And the attempted grass strip

And the end result

So what things keep you guys happy or busy?

Get sharing
Old 09-12-2011, 08:04 PM

Wow nice wee collection Foz was into all that when i was In the ATC (Air Training Corps) but not now dont have the time now and with a 4yo running about its fool hardy as my models would look like my aircraft after a night of BoP pmsl :/

Love the Paint job on the Ju 88??? do you do air brusing or you paint them by hand???
Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyvt4 View Post
Wow nice wee collection Foz was into all that when i was In the ATC (Air Training Corps) but not now dont have the time now and with a 4yo running about its fool hardy as my models would look like my aircraft after a night of BoP pmsl :/

Love the Paint job on the Ju 88??? do you do air brusing or you paint them by hand???
These are metal diecasts Scotty, they are already built and painted in the box. Very nice ones too Foz, the Lanc and Hallifax

I used to make the model aircraft. Mine were pretty good but nothing compared to what some people can do. My hobby has since turned into just lurking on the britmodeller.com forum at the amazing photos of finished models and works in progress threads.
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/i...howtopic=75230
WOW!

XBL GT: - Robotic Pope
HyperLobby CS: - Robot_Pope

Last edited by Robotic Pope; 09-12-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:49 AM

Sweet. It's a good thing stuff like that isn't readily available for me... I'd be awfully poor by now. I just about drooled over the P-38 and P-51 models.

I do have a few Maisto Tailwinds. They're cheap and found in the toy section, but they're pretty detailed for what they are. Have a box full of them somewhere. I just spotted them at the store recently and started looking for new ones. The newest one I have is a Me.262 while I'm looking pretty hard for the Spitfire. It annoys me that they don't make a P-51, Bf-109, or a lot of other historic warbirds. Shoot... I have a P-61 Black Widow in that box I can't find. They make the obscure P-61 but not the basics...
Old 09-13-2011, 08:52 AM

At weekends I get to play with these amongst others:

Old 09-13-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic Pope View Post
These are metal diecasts Scotty, they are already built and painted in the box. Very nice ones too Foz, the Lanc and Hallifax

I used to make the model aircraft. Mine were pretty good but nothing compared to what some people can do. My hobby has since turned into just lurking on the britmodeller.com forum at the amazing photos of finished models and works in progress threads.
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/i...howtopic=75230
WOW!

Some bloody good looking planes their pope!! I'm impressed. My building/painting skills are fairly poor so i stick to my limited edition diecast,they cost alot but they look better than anything i could do myself haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashLanding View Post
Sweet. It's a good thing stuff like that isn't readily available for me... I'd be awfully poor by now. I just about drooled over the P-38 and P-51 models.

I do have a few Maisto Tailwinds. They're cheap and found in the toy section, but they're pretty detailed for what they are. Have a box full of them somewhere. I just spotted them at the store recently and started looking for new ones. The newest one I have is a Me.262 while I'm looking pretty hard for the Spitfire. It annoys me that they don't make a P-51, Bf-109, or a lot of other historic warbirds. Shoot... I have a P-61 Black Widow in that box I can't find. They make the obscure P-61 but not the basics...
They sound interesting mate, you'll have to get some pics up, let me have a butchers (look) or possibly a link?

The P51/P38's are popular, i only have the 3 mustangs but theirs alot moreout their and they look incredible. Petit 2nd is currently on her way to me, a great looking P51.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:54 PM

Gilly...

Get yourself a Hurricane or Spitfire and i'll gladly pop up daily to clean it

And sit in the cockpit and act like an 8 year old haha.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:07 PM

I dont do these all the time but thought Id share anyway..

My GF knows im a nerd so she got me them for Xmas..over the years ive made a few models..not in to it big time but enjoy them none the less:

As you can see Im no Expert

Old 09-13-2011, 04:10 PM

a very nice collection foz,mk18 steals the show for me,but you knew i was going to say that
gilly, that lightning would look better flying,wouldnt have to go to s.africa to see one
Old 09-13-2011, 05:31 PM

Neat thread Foz, thanks.

Aviation is like many other “hobbies”, it’s all fun and games until you try to make a living at it and for good time “sport” flying you really can’t beat soaring. I currently “work” part time as a tow pilot for a local soaring operation, here’s a few pics:

The first one is me dragging a big 2-place Caproni sailplane up into lift. The second is me returning to the field after a tow, and if you zoom in real close you can almost see me smilin' The third pic is the "grid" of sailplanes lined up during our labor day contest, and the last pic is the club's open cockpit 1-26, possibly the coolest thing ever invented by anyone I call the last plane "Snoopy" 'cause someone said I looked like I was going up to fight the Red Baron when I took off in it LoL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Caproni.jpg (24.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg workin.jpg (27.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg LaborDayGrid.jpg (135.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg coolness.jpg (32.1 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by flynlion; 09-13-2011 at 07:51 PM.