1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 12-21-2011, 11:56 AM

Another great article discussing among other things the causes and effects of carburrettor icing and detonation and preignition.

http://www.free-online-private-pilot...owerplant.html

Scroll down to Induction Systems and Ignition Systems....

It seems that using high boost and low RPM is a real engine killer - resulting in detonation and preignition. This creates excessive heat and large forces on the piston and rods while still in the compression phase.

Some good info on turbo and superchargers too, including the damage that can be caused by turning the engine off before the turbocharger has had a chance to spin down and cool a bit. Not relevant now but I have high hopes for some US types in the near future.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Approved Member

I've just talked to Mr. E. Meier from Meier-Motors ad asked him about cold-start damage on the DB601.

( http://www.meiermotors.com/ )

He told me that he started to work as a apprentice on the DB601 and that all damage from a cold start would just reduce the time between overhauls.

Depending on the state of the engine one could experience a seizure during the take-off run or reduced power from worn bearings if the engine was mistreated this way.

The time between engine changes on a bf109 was usually 25h, but a Staffelführer could extend the lifecycle of the engines of his Staffel by careful handling of the engines up to 50h. (i.e. cruising at 300 km/h)

All pilots during that time took extensive care of their engines, using high or emergency power settings only when really, really needed.

He also told me that it takes 90s for the oil to reach the last bearing in the DB601 (about 80s in a RR Merlin)

The oil used during the war was sae100 or sae120 single viscosity and really stiff when cold.

The Jumo211 of the Ju87 had a equipment for cold start that allowed to inject 20l fuel into the engine oil for thinning it, the fuel vaporing when the oil became hot.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtek View Post
I've just talked to Mr. E. Meier from Meier-Motors ad asked him about cold-start damage on the DB601.

( http://www.meiermotors.com/ )

He told me that he started to work as a apprentice on the DB601 and that all damage from a cold start would just reduce the time between overhauls.

Depending on the state of the engine one could experience a seizure during the take-off run or reduced power from worn bearings if the engine was mistreated this way.

The time between engine changes on a bf109 was usually 25h, but a Staffelführer could extend the lifecycle of the engines of his Staffel by careful handling of the engines up to 50h. (i.e. cruising at 300 km/h)

All pilots during that time took extensive care of their engines, using high or emergency power settings only when really, really needed.

He also told me that it takes 90s for the oil to reach the last bearing in the DB601 (about 80s in a RR Merlin)

The oil used during the war was sae100 or sae120 single viscosity and really stiff when cold.

The Jumo211 of the Ju87 had a equipment for cold start that allowed to inject 20l fuel into the engine oil for thinning it, the fuel vaporing when the oil became hot.

Great info straight from the horses mouth! Thanks robtek.