1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-20-2012, 11:25 AM
PeterPanPan PeterPanPan is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodriver View Post
in that particular case obviously no, but what about ebay? ebay don't sell the items but who is to say if the individuals selling are legit? do we shut down ebay?
This is a very good point. eBay do monitor/police these things though and will take down listings if they breach their rules/are illegal items. That's not to say eBay catch everyone doing naughty stuff, but the fact that they make an effort and have a an active policy to combat wrong doing means it seems fair to me that eBay as a whole shouldn't be taken down. Does megaupload have such a policy? Do they have a track record of removing illegal files and working with the police and the media industry? I don't know. If they have been trying their best then it does seem harsh to bring the site down. If not, then fair enough. What choice do the authorities have?

PPP
__________________
Intel Core i7 2600 3.4 GHz | 1GB Gainward GTX 460 GS | Corsair 4GB XMS3 PC3-12800 1600MHz (1x4GB) | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3P B3 (Intel P67) | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT | 600W PSU | 1 TB SATA-II HDD 7200 32MB | 22" Samsung T220 screen.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Continu0 Continu0 is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Luzern, Switzerland
Posts: 702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winny View Post
You want to blame someone, blame the people who committed the crime not the people enforcing it. If people weren't using it for illegal stuff it would still be there.
Well, if you want to blame the people who committed the crime, with shutting down the website you are not punishing the right ones...
__________________
AMD Penom ll 6x 1055T Processor 2.8 GHz // 8GB Ram // XFX Radeon HD 7870 Black Edition DD (2048 MB Memory DDR5, GPU 1055MHz) // Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit Version
Saitek x52 // Saitek Throttle Quadrant // Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals // Track IR 5
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Sternjaeger II Sternjaeger II is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,903
Default

I think it's the case they re-assess the concept of intellectual property: I can't download and listen to a song, but I can listen to it for free on an internet radio or via Grooveshark?

They just need to accept the fact that the world has changed dramatically since the 60s, the entertainment industry has become too expensive and not everybody can afford to pay their prices, but still, because of the marketing they generated, people want to use their products nonetheless. Result? If I can't afford it, I'll get it for free, since it's easier that way.

It's their own greediness that is damaging them.. besides I would like to really quantify this "damage", considering that I haven't heard of a high profile music star being broke lately..
How should people feel when they say that Tom Cruise's daughter had, at 4 years old, a $130.000 Xmas list?! I mean, hellooooo?!? Reality check!!!

F**k them I say, I don't need your industry, I know who to rely to if I want good music and good movies.
In the end of the day, it's their fault if blockbusters like Pearl Harbour get so publicised and little masterpieces like Dark Blue World barely make it to the cinema screens.

Last edited by Sternjaeger II; 01-20-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-20-2012, 11:32 AM
bongodriver's Avatar
bongodriver bongodriver is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPanPan View Post
This is a very good point. eBay do monitor/police these things though and will take down listings if they breach their rules/are illegal items. That's not to say eBay catch everyone doing naughty stuff, but the fact that they make an effort and have a an active policy to combat wrong doing means it seems fair to me that eBay as a whole shouldn't be taken down. Does megaupload have such a policy? Do they have a track record of removing illegal files and working with the police and the media industry? I don't know. If they have been trying their best then it does seem harsh to bring the site down. If not, then fair enough. What choice do the authorities have?

PPP
I'm pretty sure that megaupload (never used it) and other sites like limewire etc all had legal terms and conditons for users to read and aknowlege, how exactly sites are expected to police these things without major intrusions into public privacy and freedom?.........
__________________


Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-20-2012, 11:43 AM
FFCW_Urizen's Avatar
FFCW_Urizen FFCW_Urizen is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternjaeger II View Post
They just need to accept the fact that the world has changed dramatically since the 60s, the entertainment industry has become too expensive and not everybody can afford to pay their prices, but still, because of the marketing they generated, people want to use their products nonetheless. Result? If I can't afford it, I'll get it for free, since it's easier that way.
And so what, if i can´t afford it, i don´t buy it. or if i really must have this new piece of "already-old-tomorrow" art, i save up some money and buy it later.
That´s no excuse for piracy.

the only sad thing about shutting down megaup is, that those that used it honestly are now punished because of the many who weren´t.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Sqn_Banks View Post
The devs need to continue to tweak the FM balance until there is equal amount of whining from both sides.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Wolf_Rider Wolf_Rider is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,677
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodriver View Post
I'm pretty sure that megaupload (never used it) and other sites like limewire etc all had legal terms and conditons for users to read and aknowlege, how exactly sites are expected to police these things without major intrusions into public privacy and freedom?.........


Its a hard one, eh.... damned, if they do and damned if they don't

it can't very be done to invade privacy in servers or socialise the movie/ record companies, any more than it would be to let capitalism run rampant... people like reward/ notablity for their efforts, so taking an axe to copyright laws wouldn't work too well either.
Running filters in isp's etc would only turn the 'net into the equivalent of a queue in the > insert country here < motor registries.

and yeah... a classic situation of the minority buggering it up for the majority
__________________
Intel 980x | eVGA X58 FTW | Intel 180Gb 520 SSD x 2 | eVGA GTX 580 | Corsair Vengeance 1600 x 12Gb | Windows 7 Ultimate (SP1) 64 bit | Corsair 550D | Corsair HX 1000 PSU | Eaton 1500va UPS | Warthog HOTAS w/- Saitek rudders | Samsung PX2370 Monitor | Deathadder 3500 mouse | MS X6 Keyboard | TIR4

Stand alone Collector's Edition
DCS Series



Even duct tape can't fix stupid... but it can muffle the sound.

Last edited by Wolf_Rider; 01-20-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-20-2012, 11:53 AM
PeterPanPan PeterPanPan is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodriver View Post
I'm pretty sure that megaupload (never used it) and other sites like limewire etc all had legal terms and conditons for users to read and aknowlege, how exactly sites are expected to police these things without major intrusions into public privacy and freedom?.........
How exactly they do this is down to them. It's their problem and they need to address it if they want to stay in business. I know it's a little different, but YouTube managed to limit the damage by limiting video lengths to 10 minutes. Straight away this reduces the illegal file share problem.

IMHO I can't see what the privacy/freedom issue is. The terms & conditions for megaupload's end users will state what is allowed and what isn't. Then, it surely can't be that hard for megaupload to automatically search their database of files on their servers for key words that might flag an issue. Complex sure, but doable if there is a will. Then, if someone is found to have uploaded something bad, just take it down. If a user repeat offends, ban them from the site. The site survives, good users can stay and illegal file sharing is reduced.
__________________
Intel Core i7 2600 3.4 GHz | 1GB Gainward GTX 460 GS | Corsair 4GB XMS3 PC3-12800 1600MHz (1x4GB) | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3P B3 (Intel P67) | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT | 600W PSU | 1 TB SATA-II HDD 7200 32MB | 22" Samsung T220 screen.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-20-2012, 11:58 AM
FFCW_Urizen's Avatar
FFCW_Urizen FFCW_Urizen is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 297
Default

The problem is, that illegal files have to be reported, before they´re taken off the server. Usually those are files, that are held in high regard by the fellow community.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Sqn_Banks View Post
The devs need to continue to tweak the FM balance until there is equal amount of whining from both sides.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-20-2012, 12:02 PM
bongodriver's Avatar
bongodriver bongodriver is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPanPan View Post
How exactly they do this is down to them. It's their problem and they need to address it if they want to stay in business. I know it's a little different, but YouTube managed to limit the damage by limiting video lengths to 10 minutes. Straight away this reduces the illegal file share problem.

IMHO I can't see what the privacy/freedom issue is. The terms & conditions for megaupload's end users will state what is allowed and what isn't. Then, it surely can't be that hard for megaupload to automatically search their database of files on their servers for key words that might flag an issue. Complex sure, but doable if there is a will. Then, if someone is found to have uploaded something bad, just take it down. If a user repeat offends, ban them from the site. The site survives, good users can stay and illegal file sharing is reduced.
Whatever way you want to put it, it all boils down to big brother taking away everybody's toys because a few kids are naughty, and the toys we are allowed to keep are the budget lowest cost/functionality versions.
__________________


Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Vengeanze Vengeanze is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 837
Default

*sigh* I just wonder when Hollywood, UBI and Sony and the rest will understand that the battle is over.
20% of Sweden's population are incriminated just because they prefer another method of consuming music/film/games than currently available.
More and more are moving into legal options as they pop up.
Digital music surpasses the CD format worldwide.

But like always, if you follow the trail of money you'll find the reasons why the industry are hunting common people down.
In the new arena there's no need for middlemen as the musician sell his music directly to the consumer. Same thing with games and film.
Have you checked vimeo lately? N00bs are making awesome movies with $1K cameras with almost no budget.

My 2 year old son will never have heard of Warner Bros, UBI or Sony Music when he's 18.

The industry is dying but the culture is in international bloom.
Like a cornered beast Hollywood fights for survival. The vultures are awaiting to clean the bones.

We sure live in exciting times.
- "Son, there once was a wall that divided a city, called the Berlin wall"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:21 PM.

Based on a design by: Miner Skinz.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 1C Company. All rights reserved.