1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 02-14-2012, 02:07 AM

http://www.amazon.com/SPITFIRE-Exper...084545-8479824

This book was written by Brian Lane. He was a fighter pilot in the BoB. The book was published in 1942.

Brian Lane was shot down and killed right after his book was published.

It was kind of spooky reading this, knowing the author would be killed a few years later.

It is a short read however, only 200 pages or so if i remember. But still a good book to pass an afternoon.

Last edited by Factor; 02-14-2012 at 02:10 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:00 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binky9 View Post
First Light or Bomber. One true, the other so filled with details and atmosphere it seems real.

Binky9
"Bomber" (by Len Deighton) is the best book that I have ever read!!
I have hardly ever read fiction, but this book reads loke non-fiction. Deighton's research into the workings of the German night-fighter op's & the those of RAF heavy bomber squardons is a real eye-opener - I learnt loads about Freya radar, bomber & night fighter strategy etc etc!!

I can thoroughly recommend this book - I'm sure you, like me, learn a lot when reading it.
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Nvidia (MSI) GTX560ti 1GB DDR5 Twin Frozr II
Old 02-14-2012, 06:11 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidel View Post
Found two that I recently read that might fit the bill. First was "The German Aces Speak". I especially enjoy reading the section on Walter Krupinski. He talked a lot about the 109 which is my favorite. The other is "The Blond Knighgt of Germany" about Eric Hartmann. Although not an Auto Bio he was extensively interviewed by the authors and give some really good insight about how he fought his aircraft. The Hartmann book is a little long on his Soviet captivity btu its a good read none the less.
In all fairness, he was a PoW a lot longer than he was a fighter pilot.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:37 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrel79 View Post
Are all these books based off real people? Or are some of them fiction? I'm in reading mode right now and always looking for some great ww2 aircraft books. I've read a few of the Steven Ambrose books.

Bomber sounds pretty cool.
All of the books I listed are first hand auto-biographies (written by the person themselves).

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 4GHz / 6Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX570 GPU 1.28Gb superclocked / Crucial 128Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s, 355Mb-215Mb Read-Write / 850W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Samsung 22" 226BW @ 1680 x 1050 / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro & Rudders
Old 02-14-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David198502 View Post
hey guys.
once more my girlfriend wants to buy me a book about wwII aviation for my birthday....at x-mas she bought me spitfire on my tail, and i really enjoyed reading it.
now i would like to hear book recommendations from you, and maybe if possible with a brief summary of the content.
If you would like to know more about the Battle of Britain specifically I highly recommend 'The Most Dangerous Enemy' by Stephen Bungay.
I have read an awful lot of books on the BoB and Bungay's book is the best IMHO. It strips away many of the myths but in doing so makes the events more profound and in many cases deeply moving.

Regards Mike
Old 02-14-2012, 12:14 PM
Approved Member

thx guys so far for your answers!!
though i have to say, that i didnt expect so much different recommendations.
i thought i will see a few suggested multible times.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmme View Post
If you would like to know more about the Battle of Britain specifically I highly recommend 'The Most Dangerous Enemy' by Stephen Bungay.
I have read an awful lot of books on the BoB and Bungay's book is the best IMHO. It strips away many of the myths but in doing so makes the events more profound and in many cases deeply moving.

Regards Mike
+ 1

Mazex
Old 02-14-2012, 01:29 PM

I am reading: Messerschmitts Over Sicily: Diary of a Luftwaffe Fighter Commander

http://www.amazon.com/Messerschmitts.../dp/0811731596

Based on the author's personal World War II diary
An unflinching look at Luftwaffe combat, tactics, and leadership during the campaign for Sicily
A concluding chapter assesses the war's lessons for air forces
In an account of unusual power, Luftwaffe ace Johannes Steinhoff recounts the final days of the German air force on Sicily in June and July 1943. Facing crushing odds--including a commander, Hermann Göring, who contemptuously treated his pilots as cowards--Steinhoff and his fellow Messerschmitt 109 pilots took to the skies day after day to meet waves of dreaded Flying Fortresses and swarms of Allied fighters, all bent on driving the Germans from the island. A captivating narrative and a piercing analysis, this book is a classic of aerial combat.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David198502 View Post
(...) btw, i would prefer books which focus on the evil side of that time.so books about the luftwaffe, their pilots, maybe another biography of an ace (...)
Don't know much about the evil side but I would recommend the following: "Feindberührung" by Julius Meimberg. Lese ich zurzeit selber, und es ist eines der besten Bücher. Verlag 29-6.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:03 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Brühl View Post
In all fairness, he was a PoW a lot longer than he was a fighter pilot.
What sort of comment is that may i ask?

Is it a good read?

Helpful that is!!!!

Cheese

Last edited by No1 Cheese; 02-14-2012 at 05:08 PM.