1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 02-20-2012, 12:12 PM

Default Is CoD worth getting?

Hi everyone. I waited for years for this release just like everyone else, but I was fortunate enough to have up to this point as an observer, as my PC was just too old and I had other priorities. Now that my PC has finally given up, and i'm forced to build a new system, after looking at these boards for the last year and watching from afar, i'm really wondering if you all think it's worth getting this sim? There's so many negatives, and from what I can see, the only positive is that it looks fantastic in most aspects. But i don't want screenshot software.

What's the verdict? How are campaign and online experiences?
Old 02-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjama View Post
Hi everyone. I waited for years for this release just like everyone else, but I was fortunate enough to have up to this point as an observer, as my PC was just too old and I had other priorities. Now that my PC has finally given up, and i'm forced to build a new system, after looking at these boards for the last year and watching from afar, i'm really wondering if you all think it's worth getting this sim? There's so many negatives, and from what I can see, the only positive is that it looks fantastic in most aspects. But i don't want screenshot software.

What's the verdict? How are campaign and online experiences?
That is becoming an unanswerable question, for those it works for (me included) you would get a big yes, others would say a big no and threaten to punch you in the face for daring to support it.

Bottom line is, right now it may or may not work for you but there is a BIG patch coming to address the issues, are you prepared to miss out on what is a great game based on some naysayers with issues?

Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition
Old 02-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Approved Member

Why even discuss this when it can be had for such a small amount of money? you're only going to get a mass of conflicting opinions, either wait for one of the many sales in which it is highly likely to appear in or buy the collectors edition for under £20 from Ubishop: http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubiemea/en...s_Edition.html
Old 02-20-2012, 12:33 PM

I can't tell you about offline, but the online game can be funny and rewarding sometimes. In Channel map servers however you risk often to fly for a long time to see some action. That's the effect of the big size of the 1:1 map resulting in a low density of players.
ATAG server uses AI bombers to increase the activity, which either act as practice targets, or become the rendez-vous point for attacking and defending fighters. Another current time-killer in ATAG is the strafing raid on enemy airports.

If you like bombing there is an exhaustive thread in another section of this forum.

However, given the current ridiculous price of CloD, why do you bother asking the question?
Old 02-20-2012, 12:37 PM

For the initial price of €30 I would say no. For the price of €10 however, it gives the user more than any other game like-priced currently.

The game plays fine most of the time. Its main flaw however is that the online play is next to none existant. There is no coop-mode yet. You can only fly so long offline until you get bored and shelve the game.

It feels like the FSX. You got all those pretty planes ready to fight, but you can`t really use them for anything else than sightseeing flying.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:54 PM

I'd say go for it. I have a low spec machine and although I do get CTDs regularly (patch in the works) I've had a great time flying it and still do almost every day. It's going to get a good deal better very soon too.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Approved Member

CLOD can be equally fantastic and awful with in a very short time, small engagements over the coast can be very exciting and visually stunning, almost photo realistic at times, but then whole thing can be let down by awful AI, FPS slowdown and CTDs.
Online is very limited at this time with only a few servers and limited gameplay. COOPs are badly needed to get more action and sqds involved.

Were waiting for a patch that will hopefully improve the more important aspects of CLOD, FPS, FM, AI and the rest.

Like some have said if your interested in flight sims and have a beefy system then for 10 quid you cant go wrong.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Approved Member

Go for it dan!

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 02-20-2012, 01:04 PM

I hadn't considered the price drop. I suppose if i'm spending a few hundred on a machine another £20 wont hurt, especially with the potential improvements in the works.

I do indeed enjoy bomber flights. Is there a bomber server? Do AI bombers fly in formation with you yet, or simply follow their course?

Very strange hearing there are no co-op servers!
Old 02-20-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furbs View Post
CLOD can be equally fantastic and awful with in a very short time, small engagements over the coast can be very exciting and visually stunning, almost photo realistic at times, but then whole thing can be let down by awful AI, FPS slowdown and CTDs.
Online is very limited at this time with only a few servers and limited gameplay. COOPs are badly needed to get more action and sqds involved.

Were waiting for a patch that will hopefully improve the more important aspects of CLOD, FPS, FM, AI and the rest.

Like some have said if your interested in flight sims and have a beefy system then for 10 quid you cant go wrong.
Thanks for putting it in a nutshell!