1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:14 PM

Did anyone ever play this game? It was awesome.

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/35...+Fortress.html

Old 05-12-2009, 09:22 PM

Ah a microprose game, they used to be the name for games.
I never seen this one, but i was only 8 in 92, and we had no pc yet,
I heard of that other b17 game, but my pc at the time was lacking (only could play janes games on it like usnf)

this one looks so cool though, really immersive with those menus. i wish i could emu this on the ps3 right now LOL

actually in 1992 i did play PTO (pacific theater of operations) a Turnbased strat game of fleets (japan vs usa) really cool, u form packs of ships over different parts and you call the shots!! i guess its like those new battlestation games
Old 05-13-2009, 01:47 AM

I hope we have the ability to have a some-what realistic start up. I am praying that take off and landings are a part of at least some of the missions.

I am also hoping for a comfortable and easy means of viewing the sky and ground from within the cockpit.

I just hope it looks and feels as good as the previews have shown.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:55 AM

Anton has said that some missions feature t/o and landing. Not all though.

I'd expect Battle of Britain to feature take off's for sure.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:58 PM

Some of my favorite classic PC games...

B-17 Flying Fortress

Aces of the Pacific

Aces over Europe

Secert Weapons of the Luftwaffe
Old 05-13-2009, 10:17 PM

Darn, all of the good ones taken...P-38, B-17, parachutes....

I would want......dang I can't think of any. My fighter was the P-38 and my bomber was the B-17.

I want good skins and clan support.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:16 AM

Wow.

Those were some amazing games. I remember trying to make a boot disk to bump up my conventional memory just so I could play Aces over Europe on my 486 for effs sakes!

That game was the shit.

This one still might be my favorite...

It took the best elements of AoE - the dynamic campaign, historical detail and endless replayability - and improved the graphics and had incredible sound. Best sounding engines i've ever heard and the voice chatter was actually really well done. It was like you we're playing the movie 'Battle of Britain'. Thick accents and stiff upper lips. Classic.
Takeoffs were a blast! Roaring engines, a dozen squadmates rolling down the strip. Little touches too; when you blew out a bandit's engine you could see the prop creak to stop as you whizzed by. Gold.

I feel like a dynamic campaign never fit the design scope of console flight games, but they were the norm for deep PC titles of the day - surely though, along with multiplayer, its an option that keeps gamers going for YEARS imo.

Especially with a period sim like the WWII flight genre, the immersion level of a dynamic pilot career mode as opposed to set-piece missions is much much deeper, and with the engine and eye candy i see from BoP I can only imagine what kind of game we could see. Put it in the sequel maybe, heh.

Bottom line, i'm pumped.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:20 AM

Oh yeah. Long story short I would want a dynamic campaign mode.

I hope thats clear enough.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheCrab View Post
Oh yeah. Long story short I would want a dynamic campaign mode.

I hope thats clear enough.
Dynamic as in how?
Old 05-14-2009, 11:18 PM

Its like a pilot career mode where you pick your name, join a squadron and play randomly generated missions that follow the historical timeline of the war.

The missions would adhere to the tactics, plane types and situations of the different fronts. Like for example the Battle of Britain on the English side you'd get a lot of bomber intercept sorties which by September of '40 would end up over London.

Seriously fun way to play. And if famous battle dates come up, let's say D-Day for example, it would switch to a scripted type single mission that would stick to history and be a little bigger in scope because it would be a famous event.

It sounds like BoP will feature the single mission type structure which is okay, but the most fun and immersive way to play a WWII flight sim is the dynamic way.

BoP will be like the Call of Duty style - a mixed bag with different locales and characters in a bunch of cool missions.