1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-12-2009, 07:11 AM
luthier luthier is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 284
Default Give me some "holy sh... did that just happen" ideas

We all know the drill. Read briefing. Take off. Follow waypoints. Engage target. Maneuver. Go home. Debrief.

I'm looking for some ideas to break up the monotony. Things that make you jump out of your seat. Things that immerse you in the game world. These can be based on historical events, or these can be your own ideas, as long as they're rooted in reality.

This means things that happen before the mission, during the mission, or after the mission. Interesting new mission types. Events. Features. These can be one-off events we may try to recreate during the mission, or more general ideas such as "it'd be cool if X did Y when Z".

And yes, while it'd be extremely cool if a variety of highly detailed civilian females with 20 types of historical clothing walked the Prince of Wales pier, and propwash of you Spitfire affected their skirts, and it'd be even cooler if the captain of the German schooner dropped his monocle when a flight of Blenheims appeared on the horizon, but let's try to keep in mind that we have limited development resources and a tight schedule.

I have lots of ideas of my own, but I'd like to keep them a secret. So I may be a little vague further down the thread when I see an idea I've already had or something new I'd like to use.

Also, please try to keep this thread constructive. Let's use it to offer new or add to existing ideas. Let's not turn it into a heated discussion of why you think a certain idea sucks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Foo'bar Foo'bar is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Niedersachsen, Deutschland
Posts: 661
Red face

What I'd really like to see would be the following: after beeing briefed in a airfield barrack you'll jump into the back seat of a Kübelwagen already waiting outside, with a driver sitting front left. While you are beeing driven to your plane you are looking outside the car, watching the busy workers on the airfiled, passing hangars with wide open doors, hearing noise and the hammering from inside, seeing the planes standing inside wich are beeing worked on. Landed planes are being pulled into the hangar by tractors. While underway perhaps the driver is speaking to you, asking humble questions like "how are you today?" or "your plane has been repaired properly after your last flight." or something else.

Well, not even "just happened"... I just have visions
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-12-2009, 09:44 AM
Ctrl E Ctrl E is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 250
Default

Pierre Clostermann wrote a lot about how his squadron tried to avoid all known flak areas, not just the enemy's. the problem was the average soldier or sailor's aircraft recognition was so bad they'd shoot at anything, resulting in a lot of friendly fire incidents.

maybe you could model something similar? maybe even being accidentally bounced by friendly aircraft?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-12-2009, 09:56 AM
mkubani mkubani is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 92
Default

Random floating debris, lifeboats, survivors, and oil slick on the water when the ship goes down. Something like this:

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-12-2009, 09:59 AM
JVM JVM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 187
Default

One of the very first idea which comes to my mind is to use extensively the ability to change weather during the mission, notably degradation of weather on the home run. In many cases the most challenging issue during a mission is to find back your airfield, and sometimes any airfield.
This being said it may not be that much of an issue in BoB per se, but more at its end and during later times when the increasing number of forays on the continent and degradation of weather conditions with fall and winter would lead to many harrowing returns to base...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Codex Codex is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hoppers Crossing, Vic, Australia
Posts: 624
Default

I would like to have my mechanic yell and curse at me for not running my machine according to specs / his advice. I want him to give me tips on how to not over stress my plane.

It would also be great to have an interactive flight training school, you have to earn your wings before going into a campaign for example (of course this could be optional to the player). May be these training lessons could be user / custom made too by the community.

One idea I've often thought about is the player could be selected as a test pilot for new planes that are introduced in further add-ons. Why does a career always have to involve combat?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-12-2009, 10:32 AM
luthier luthier is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo'bar View Post
What I'd really like to see would be the following: after beeing briefed in a airfield barrack you'll jump into the back seat of a Kübelwagen already waiting outside, with a driver sitting front left. While you are beeing driven to your plane you are looking outside the car, watching the busy workers on the airfiled, passing hangars with wide open doors, hearing noise and the hammering from inside, seeing the planes standing inside wich are beeing worked on. Landed planes are being pulled into the hangar by tractors. While underway perhaps the driver is speaking to you, asking humble questions like "how are you today?" or "your plane has been repaired properly after your last flight." or something else.

Well, not even "just happened"... I just have visions
This would be really cool, but I'm afraid people don't fully realize the limitations. We don't have plane-level interiors for cars, you're not going to see you full bomber crew riding with you on the way to your He-111, and they're not going to be standing by the bomber waiting for you. We can't make the "exit the jeep and climb into the cockpit" animation.

I mean, it is really, really cool just to ride a little red convertible to your Spit, watch the driver steer and hear him make small talk, and have him meet you after the mission and drive you back to CP (or the toilet if you've been shot up), but then... It's never as simple as it seems.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Foo'bar Foo'bar is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Niedersachsen, Deutschland
Posts: 661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthier View Post
This would be really cool, but I'm afraid people don't fully realize the limitations. We don't have plane-level interiors for cars, you're not going to see you full bomber crew riding with you on the way to your He-111, and they're not going to be standing by the bomber waiting for you. We can't make the "exit the jeep and climb into the cockpit" animation.

I mean, it is really, really cool just to ride a little red convertible to your Spit, watch the driver steer and hear him make small talk, and have him meet you after the mission and drive you back to CP (or the toilet if you've been shot up), but then... It's never as simple as it seems.
A really nice Kübelwagen interior model would have been finished already, (check this). I could send it over to you if you want The animations for getting into the car or getting into the plane wouldn't be nessecary imho and could be placed ba a soft black cut.

Last edited by Foo'bar; 11-12-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-12-2009, 10:45 AM
HFC_Dolphin HFC_Dolphin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 340
Default

I think Ilya means something different. I think mostly he needs mission ideas

Please check email (though nothing constructive there lololol).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-12-2009, 11:13 AM
13th Hsqn Protos 13th Hsqn Protos is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada, USA, Greece
Posts: 165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codex View Post
I would like to have my mechanic yell and curse at me for not running my machine according to specs / his advice.
Along this line, a forced RTB because of mechanical failure based on actual maintenance data for specific birds. Realistic takeoff and landing malfunctions would also be nice ....

Rescues were always nice .... can we get some good animations ?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:24 PM.

Based on a design by: Miner Skinz.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 1C Company. All rights reserved.