1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Approved Member

Default Ki-45 gunsight for slanted guns

Please, how to switch to gunsight in upper portion of the canopy to see in it reticle to aim "Schrage Musik"?
Old 07-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard1 View Post
Please, how to switch to gunsight in upper portion of the canopy to see in it reticle to aim "Schrage Musik"?
Just press Maj+F1 and look up!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baball View Post
Just press Maj+F1 and look up!
Do you mean Shift+F1? It does not work for me! I just switch to customary gunsight view! What I'm doing wrong?

Edit: understood. "look up" is 8 on NumPad - so full sequence to toggle gunsight is Shift+F1+NumPad8!

Would have been useful if included in 4.12 Guide...

Thank you very much for help!

Regards,
GB

Last edited by greybeard1; 07-03-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Approved Member

Really??? You need to be told to look upward if you want to look through something that is clearly above you?

----------------------------------------------
For bugreports, help and support contact:
daidalos.team@googlemail.com

For modelers - The IL-2 standard modeling specifications:
IL-Modeling Bible
Old 07-03-2013, 06:24 PM
What the heck...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJGr.Ost_Caspar View Post
Really??? You need to be told to look upward if you want to look through something that is clearly above you?
In fairness, Caspar, that misses the point.
Obviously, one wouldn't have to be told to look up if they were physically in the aircraft. However, in a video game where even the simplest actions require specific keystrokes or button presses, it's always a good idea to include instructions, and not just assume that others will automatically know what to do.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop64 View Post
In fairness, Caspar, that misses the point.
Obviously, one wouldn't have to be told to look up if they were physically in the aircraft. However, in a video game where even the simplest actions require specific keystrokes or button presses, it's always a good idea to include instructions, and not just assume that others will automatically know what to do.
While I would definitely agree in different circumstances where the mechanics were all new, looking around the cockpit is a control that should already be well covered.

Maybe an incorrect assumption by me as well but looking up should be on a similar level as firing the guns and therefore instructions on using the gunsight being redundant.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:11 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
While I would definitely agree in different circumstances where the mechanics were all new, looking around the cockpit is a control that should already be well covered.

Maybe an incorrect assumption by me as well but looking up should be on a similar level as firing the guns and therefore instructions on using the gunsight being redundant.
If looking through the default gunsight is a specific key command, I don't think it's unreasonable for somebody to think that looking through an alternate gunsight will be a separate specific key command...
Old 07-04-2013, 12:47 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane-Eater View Post
If looking through the default gunsight is a specific key command, I don't think it's unreasonable for somebody to think that looking through an alternate gunsight will be a separate specific key command...
This is a good point. That could create the impression that there is a specific key... I hadn't thought of it that way.

The trick with any documentation is always how much information is just the right amount and what is too much (and thus either insulting or unnecessarily verbose). Might need a tad bit more here.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard1 View Post
Do you mean Shift+F1? It does not work for me! I just switch to customary gunsight view! What I'm doing wrong?

Edit: understood. "look up" is 8 on NumPad - so full sequence to toggle gunsight is Shift+F1+NumPad8!

Would have been useful if included in 4.12 Guide...

Thank you very much for help!

Regards,
GB
Oops my bad, I was using the french meaning of Shift.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
This is a good point. That could create the impression that there is a specific key... I hadn't thought of it that way.

The trick with any documentation is always how much information is just the right amount and what is too much (and thus either insulting or unnecessarily verbose). Might need a tad bit more here.
User experience testing is an important part of discovering issues like this. It helps you discover where you've made assumptions about how a player will interpret things, and where they either need different information, or more.

I can tell from Caspar's response that for him, looking up through the gunsight seems perfectly intuitive, and from one interpretation, it is. From another interpretation of "gunsight A needs key 1, gunsight B must need key 2", using the view commands instead of "key 2 for gunsight B" is something that would only be discovered basically by trial and error or chance.

Solution: more beta testers.