1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: The Legend > Technical problems and solutions

Technical problems and solutions Questions and solutions

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaged View Post
Passing the buck? are you kidding me?, I don't think you're sorry at all, in fact I don't think you guys give 2 craps about us, we steam users have been playing with 1.7 since it rolled out on Steam and it was fine, until you 'fixed' the other issue, now our saves are screwed, now you're blaming Steam?

Do you even know how Steam works?, we can disable automatic updates, but when we launch the game it updates itself, see the problem? Besides, even if that were the case, that information is only useful if you had told us the saves would break BEFORE updating the copies on Steam, it's a little late with your 'helpful' tip.

This is the first and last game I buy with 1C involved.

I hope you guys end up like Flagship Studios.
I understand you guys are very angry, I would be too. But I don`t understand your attitude towards me. I`m trying to inform you what is going on. Would you be more happy if noone told you what is going on and ignored you? I can of course keep it that way.

Yes, I know how Steam works. No, I`m not passing the buck, but I can`t really tell you how to revert your game back to original version, can I? I`m not a Steam employee so I do not know that, that is why I told you to contact Steam support. They are the only who could give you instructions how to revert back to original version of KB.

By the way, the first 1.7 Steam patch had some major crash issues, that is why the second patch came out. Honestly I do not know why your old saved games are not working with the new patch. It could be necessary thing due to some fixes or it can just be a bug. We are investigating this now, I`ll keep you informed. Well, if you are interested.. can`t really tell from your reactions.

Last edited by Karel; 05-22-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel View Post
I understand you guys are very angry, I would be too. But I don`t understand your attitude towards me. I`m trying to inform you what is going on. Would you be more happy if noone told you what is going on and ignored you? I can of course keep it that way.

Yes, I know how Steam works. No, I`m not passing the buck, but I can`t really tell you how to revert your game back to original version, can I? I`m not a Steam employee so I do not know that, that is why I told you to contact Steam support. They are the only who could give you instructions how to revert back to original version of KB.

By the way, the first 1.7 Steam patch had some major crash issues, that is why the second patch came out. Honestly I do not know why your old saved games are not working with the new patch. It could be necessary thing due to some fixes or it can just be a bug. We are investigating this now, I`ll keep you informed. Well, if you are interested.. can`t really tell from your reactions.
I will explain my attitude, you as an employee represent the company 1C, you act as their voice, and since I'd imagine the CEO does not hang out on the forums, posting to its (ex)customers, you also must be their ears, if the comments do not apply to you personally, please feel free to pass them along to the appropriate parties, or have them post here, and I will direct my comments to those responsible directly, for now, you will have to do.

Let's get something straight, the first 1.7 patch worked perfect for me and alot of others, the crashing was limited to a small few, the 'fix' you guys did for them broke the majority of players, the 'fix' broke more than the original problem, since people are now much farther along, not to mention alot of the people who suffered from the first patch got past it and started over, those that started over now cannot use THOSE saves now, since those are now broken, the reason the saves are not usable is because someone put in code that tells it to ignore certain saves with a certain header, it was a cheap workaround to avoid writing code that could convert our (now incompatible) saves to compatible saves, then to have them send their lip-service out here to lie to us, that's just unprofessional, we are not idiots, do not treat us as such.

Also my comments are my own, whether I'm interested or not, does not matter, you should keep the others updated regardless of whether or not I am 'interested'.

P.S. Steam only applies patches issued from the developer, so quit trying to put the responsibility on them.

Last edited by damaged; 05-22-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaged View Post
Let's get something straight, the first 1.7 patch worked perfect for me and alot of others, the crashing was limited to a small few
Exactly. The game worked perfectly for me before but now I can't play it without restarting and there's no telling whether this could happen again. I really hope a further update can restore compatibility and resolve this issue but I don't want to be waiting weeks for it, if indeed it ever happens.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Yes, we want to be kept informed.

We also want to hear the magic words, "Yes, it's a bug, and we're diligently working on the fix right now."

Bonus words: "We're also working with Steam to provide a method of rolling back to the previous version." However, this should only be necessary if you all cannot get a fix done quickly. Given that this is a 3 day weekend in the US (Memorial Day holiday,) I think most US customers would forgive all if the fix arrived before end of day today. (Not likely but one can hope.)

Words neither the customer, publisher, developer, or Steam wants to hear: "Refund my purchase." Let's hope it doesn't come to that (and it shouldn't, assuming a prompt resolution to the issue.) I for one, am tired of dealing with broken software (RequisitePro, I'm looking at you) and I would be more than willing to press for a refund from Steam or reverse the credit card charge if necessary.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:07 PM

Angry

Quote:
Hello all,

I`m very sorry to hear that.. I talked to responsible guys and it seems that new 1.7 patch is not compatible with saved games which were made in previous KB version.. This is of course very unfortunate

Please try contacting Steam support and ask them how to revert your game back to previous(original) version, so you can continue playing using your saved games. Then I suggest you disable autopatching feature for your Kings Bounty, so it does not get patched automatically again..

Meanwhile, we will see if we can make 1.7 patch which would be compatible with old saves.

We are very sorry for this inconvenience..
That is outrageous! I *run* a computer games company and we'd never get away with something like that - the patch was not announced, there is no news about it and at no point did I get a message telling me that my save games would be incompatable with the new patch.

I will have lost over 30 hours of gameplay from this f**ckup. The game is great, but wow what a way to sour the whole experience for me.

That is completely unacceptable - also do not dare pass the buck over to Steam for this, 1C/katauri is responsible for the patching and it is your responsibility to make sure this is fixed, or I will be demanding a full refund.

Fix it or face the negative publicity... seriously guys - this is what gives PC gaming a bad name... you are letting the side down.

- Slerbal
Old 05-22-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
gotta love your attitude. Most of the people on this thread are people that signed up to this forum just to complain about this major bug that was introduced in the latest patch via steam. your attitude (which we see as the attiude of 1c compain is basically saying: "yeah yeah we know and don't really care about your problems."
Which basically means that none of us is going to buy anything published from 1C again, and we're gonna whine about it on forums and tell our friends.

It is not Steam that decides which files are pushed out to the steam users. its the developer/publisher. so in other word it's not up to Steam to rollback the latest patch.

As steam is quickly becoming the main selling platform for Kings bounty in the West i'm abit puzzeled about the lack of focus on the customers using steam. (could it be that 1c is not getting the royalties from them Steam sales?)

As mentionend before. what we want to hear is: we know about this HUGE cockup and we've got all available resources working on it. And we are going to roll back to the previous patch on Steam for all users.

Best of luck.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:08 PM

Just bought the game yesterday on Steam, played for ~8 hours or so (fun game!), opened the game today, same problem, no saves.

This does show some pretty bad patch design from you guys, and it is very frustrating; Steam just ships out the patches you give them, they aren't responsible for testing them. There's nothing in the patch notes that mentions save-game incompatibility either, even if we had a choice about the update.

We hope you realize that this is a serious issue, and work on a rapid fix, in concert with Steam if need be. Please keep us updated here (and in the Steam forum, ideally).

Also, can you let us know; is the solution likely to be a roll-back, or is there a possibility of making the saves compatible with 1.7?

Last edited by Ahriman; 05-22-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:30 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Then I suggest you disable autopatching feature for your Kings Bounty, so it does not get patched automatically again..
I just checked a few details about Steam:
- You cannot disable auto-patching of games
- Steam should not have to carry out a rollback - Steam/Valve are not responsible for the content of developer's patches for Kings Bounty - the Legend - 1C/Katauri is.

Please do sort this out. Kings Bounty is an outstanding game, but your QA process for patch release is apparently non-existent, and that is not acceptable.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:01 PM

Okay, let's not get all fired up and try to keep it civil.

Now, Karel, when you say:

Quote:
I talked to responsible guys and it seems that new 1.7 patch is not compatible with saved games which were made in previous KB version.
it kind of sounds like the conversation went something like: "hey guys, some people are saying they can't read saved games"
"oh, yeah, I know, this version just isn't compatible with previous saved games"
"Okay, I'll go tell them"

Instead, what we want to hear is that the conversation went something like this:
"Guys, what the $%$#? No one can load their saved games!"
"What? Let me check... Oh my god, you are right! I can't believe this! We have to fix it!"

See the difference? In one scenario, we'll never get our saved games because "the versions aren't compatible". In the second scenario, someone wrote if(x=1) instead of if(x==1) or something silly like that and it will get fixed today.

Thanks, and please keep us informed,
Xorlium
Old 05-22-2009, 04:02 PM

Look up how many Steam sales you've had: Every single one of those people is FURIOUS at you right now.

Anyone else can just not install a patch, its not an option for a steam user.

I was 80 hours into my game, close to the end. I was already playing on impossible, so restarting is quite simply not an option.

I want to know: If I get my steam version refunded, and buy the box game and not install this patch, will my savegame work?
Closed Thread