1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer 1C: Maddox Games.

View Poll Results: Your rating of COD right now.
10 25 10.25%
20 4 1.64%
30 18 7.38%
40 29 11.89%
50 42 17.21%
60 48 19.67%
70 53 21.72%
80 14 5.74%
90 7 2.87%
100 4 1.64%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2011, 06:11 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie View Post
More people give it 10 than 100 90 80 combined. Thats kinda disturbing.
I'm not surprised as there is a wide spread of hardware, OS's, settings and setup knowledge.

In any case, it is an opinion poll and the results are bound to be subjective. Its sometimes hard to split emotion from objective assessment and lets be honest, the current state of CoD is raising some emotions. That's why I set out my scores in a such way that I could try to be objective and calculate a result rather than go only on gut feeling.

The poll is not a definitive assessment of the technical condition of the game as there can be no unique definition of hardware, OS environment, setup etc.

Nevertheless its a reasonable guide to this forum community's opinion and an insight into how the they are coping with it.

EDIT: I think MG should be encouraged by what they see, there is a concentration of opinion around the "not particularly good but recoverable" area. It could all have been down in the 20's indicating imminent demise of the patient. I just hope people remain as objective and unemotional as possible in their assessment.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 /i7 950 @ 4GHz / 6Gb DDR3 1600 CAS8 / EVGA GTX570 GPU 1.28Gb superclocked / Crucial 128Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s, 355Mb-215Mb Read-Write / 850W PSU
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium / Samsung 22" 226BW @ 1680 x 1050 / TrackIR4 with TrackIR5 software / Saitek X52 Pro & Rudders

Last edited by klem; 08-06-2011 at 06:16 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:22 AM

hmm had to think hard on this question.
For me its really comes down to how this game stacks up against IL2 46, as 46 is in my opinion the only other WWII flight sim that I Still think was better then all the ones that came before it

The things that CLOD has the edge or Potential Edge on
1. FM (potential)(This really falls under playability category for me. I just don't feel like the FM is as solid and Especially don't really feel the difference between aircraft that I do with IL2 46. In CLOD it's there but its so subtle that if the cockpit didn't look different I probably would not notice I was in a different plane. Where as in IL2 46 if you removed the cockpit there seems to me to be a whole different feel to every plane that is much more noticeable.

2. DM (already awesome in my opinion with very little tweaking needed)

3. Over all Better Updated Graphics (although I am still not very impressed with how my Mid High machine handles the graphics but I will reserve final judgement on this until after 99% of the optimization is done as I'm hoping for it to improve)

4. Customization (Potential) I.E. Weapons Load out, In Flight Order system, Realism options etc. ALL of these when finished will be Hands down an improvement over IL2 46

5. Interactive cockpit (still kind of gimmicky for me but when i land or before take off it does feel a little more like im in the cockpit when i actually open and close the the hood in a spit or hurri Every once in a while while im flying any flight sim Except ROF for obvious reasons, I get hot while flying and for an instant have the urge to click open the vents until rational thought takes over and pause the game to go turn the fan on lol its the little things i guess lol ) maybe in the future.

Where IL2 46 still has the advantage for me............

1. Offline Content (This has equal weight to me as playability in my opinion and I actually feel that if CLOD was just as playable for me as it is now but with more content I would definitely play it more often)

2. Playability ( The DM goes rite to CLOD but even though the FM will be better in CLOD some day as of now the one in IL2 46 to me feels completely solid and predictable. When I transition from one plane to another I notice all the subtle differences Climb rate, dive rate, turn rate, compressibility factors effect of the weapon kick based on position of the gun and all those things that remind me that I am in a totally different plane not just the look of the cockpit. CLOD still has a ways to go for me in this area but has the potential to be stunning when finished where as IL2 46 is already as good as it is going to get.

3. Sounds (This actually gives IL2 46 an unfair advantage at the moment because while i do think that CLOD stock sounds are better or equal to IL2 46 stock sounds I am using UP 3.0 which in my opinion uses way better sounds both gun and engine then any WWII flight sim I have ever played. (VERY IMMERSIVE). I love the way radials start up and sound with the UP 3 mod especially. Any way Until CLOD is to the point where Modders are making there own templates for theses types of things I suspect the stock sounds when done will be better then IL2 46 but maybe not better then the Modded ones. Again i will reserve final judgement on this for when the re done sounds come out. Maybe they will be phenomenal you never know

That is pretty much how i came to my 50% rating. It just needs to be better at those three major things and for me its no contest to switch over. But when i get the urge to fly (which is after I watch any WWII movie or documentary on TCM or BBC I still jump on Good old IL2 to get my rush

Great Thread by the way I really like some of the detailed descriptions people gave. thought i would add mine

Last edited by Bryan21cag; 08-06-2011 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:59 PM

Giving whatever marks you want is obviously ok (it's a personal opinion), however the posts that go into some detail are more useful than others to the onlookers.

I'm not saying there's unreasonable marks because the whole thing is highly subjective on many areas (for example, i agree with quite a chunk of Bryan 21cag's post, but i gave it a 70 while he gave it a 50), but it would help make things more believable for the rest if posters who deviate strongly from the majority took some time to say why.

What i'm trying to say is, if i see a 10 followed by a one-liner my mental alarm bells tell me "disgruntled customer wanting to raise some waves", just like if i see a 100 that equally lacks explanation makes me thing "knight in shining armor defending his favorite software no matter what": it seems like an emotionally charged judgement, emotions in such a process create bias and make us drift from objectivity in our results and as such, i remain thoroughly unconvinced by them.

It feels like the people who grade and justify their grades as such (ie, in a lacking manner) are primarily trying to get a reaction instead of giving a personal but objective-based judgement.

As for how the marks are chosen, i have a feeling the poll is about the game's current state, not how it was released or the team's managing of communication or the project in general. In other words, the game on an "as is" basis, how do we rank that.

I might be wrong, i don't know, it just seemed to me from how most of the people justified the marks they gave and the talk of having further such polls in the future that they were trying to get "snapshots" of the game's state at different points in development (which means judging the game on its flaws and merits at the current juncture for each such poll), so i went with it. Maybe it would be a good idea to clarify this for future polls.

Other than that, interesting discussion all around and i agree with the people who said things are not exactly terrible. As the poll goes thus far the little bars tell me things are "average towards good", which is a far cry from what we've been hearing by overly negative/positive posters. In other words, it seems we have a reasonable community majority for the most part even if they are not that loud on the forums and seem under-represented at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo'bar View Post
Only bad things will be commented. Good things are expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
War is usually the massacre of young people that don't know each other for the sake of old people who don't fight and know each other.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Approved Member

Yep, that's exactly what i wanted this poll to be. A snap shot of COD right now by the members of this forum. nothing more nothing less.

When(or if) we get the next patch we can do the poll again.

Though to my eyes the average score is about 57% and to me that's a poor score for a sim thats been out for 6 months and had 4 patches.

Lets hope we see a marked improvement with the next patch.

Last edited by furbs; 08-06-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furbs View Post
Yep, that's exactly what i wanted this poll to be. A snap shot of COD right now by the members of this forum. nothing more nothing less.

When(or if) we get the next patch we can do the poll again.

Though to my eyes the average score is about 57% and to me that's a poor score for a sim thats been out for 6 months and had 4 patches.

Lets hope we see a marked improvement with the next patch.
is that average taking into account the 10% and 100% numpty's?

Either way get on the syndicate server

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie View Post
More people give it 10 than 100 90 80 combined. Thats kinda disturbing.
I feel extremely high scores (100) or extremely low scores (10) should be chucked out of the poll as they're (in my opinion) agenda driven.

Anyone who has spent ten minutes with this sim can tell you it doesn't deserve either score.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Tree_UK

I think the people who voted 10 are reacting to the dev's more than the sim, obviously the people that voted 100 are potential Luthier stalkers (check your back garden out Luthier). That said 49.02% of people have voted 50 or lower, which reflects how badly this game as been recieved.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
That said 49.02% of people have voted 50 or lower
Or that said 70.24% of people have voted 50 or higher.
Sorry, couldn't resist
Old 08-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Approved Member

any math types want to do a average score? do two, one with all scores counted and one with 10,20 90,100 taken out?
Old 08-06-2011, 08:17 PM

here you go,