1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer 1C: Maddox Games.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Approved Member

What do you guys think luthier was referring to here, the part in bold. I hope it not something I'm using.

Quote:
Can we increase even more the degree of realism e.g. available & working aircraft systems?
Just a side note, please remove the ever icing clouds, most of them are not, especially flying low, it's not that often sub zero.
We are seriously addressing our approach to modeling various systems. A lot of the stuff that we spent so much effort on with Cliffs of Dover ended up being a dud, no one wants it, no one uses it. At the same time a lot of systems people clearly want and need are not modeled with enough details.
So do expect a more sane approach in the sequels.

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 10-01-2012, 09:48 PM

Salute

Visibility

#1 The game requires a proper set of LOD models. Right now the disappearing act at 500-1000 meters is unacceptable. The fact is, we are seeing a 2D game trying to model a 3D enviroment, but the developers in their design of the LOD models are not taking into account factors which allow the human eye to discern objects moving. For example, depth of field. An aircraft flying against a background is in focus at a different focal length than the background, the game does not take this into account, this is what allows the human eye to pick out an aircraft more easily. In addition, the tendency of the background to be lit at a different level of luminance than the plane means the foreground aircraft is outlined and highlighted. As the aircraft sequentially passes in front of bright and dark backgrounds, the result is a flicker effect which again allows the human eye to pick it out. This probably can't be effectively replicated by the game, considering the calculations required, the answer in 2D terms is to simply outline the aircraft LOD model with darker pixels around its outside edge, making a clear boundary between it and the background, thereby allowing it to be observed more easily.

#2 The game should have reflection modelled. Some original screens prior to publication showed reflection, (the Stuka model vid) for whatever reason, this was eliminated in the final release of CoD. Reflection off cockpit glass, painted surfaces, etc. was one of the most important indicators to allow sighting of enemy aircraft in the real world. Time and again, if you read the real life pilot accounts, you will hear them recount how a glint of light off an enemy aircraft was the first indicator of their presence. BoM should have reflection as a major priority.

Last edited by *Buzzsaw*; 10-01-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipBall View Post
What do you guys think luthier was referring to here, the part in bold. I hope it not something I'm using.

Quote:
Can we increase even more the degree of realism e.g. available & working aircraft systems?
Just a side note, please remove the ever icing clouds, most of them are not, especially flying low, it's not that often sub zero.
We are seriously addressing our approach to modeling various systems. A lot of the stuff that we spent so much effort on with Cliffs of Dover ended up being a dud, no one wants it, no one uses it. At the same time a lot of systems people clearly want and need are not modeled with enough details.
So do expect a more sane approach in the sequels.
I think he is referring to icing of windscreens, headshake, other cool visuals, etc. that are of less direct importance to gameplay. Especially those that particularly have a negative effect on gameplay, and that people have complained about.

Note to community: Never, ever, ever complain about such things

I remember Oleg saying a long time ago that they removed headshake because people complained it was unrealistic (they do actually listen to us).

Flying online as Setback.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Approved Member

Massive multiplayer online battles, online coop, online total war with moving front, clans, magic, dragons with lasers.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:24 PM
Approved Member

I want cows that die, sprout wings and fly to heaven when killed.
Player should jump out of a burning plane on the ground, produce a sausage on a stick and fry it in the fire.
No parachutes, just long-johns attached to the harness. Some Mary Poppins umbrella parachutes.
A crow should land on your nose/windscreen and walk about as you try to aim.
You should see your own breath on a cold day.
Puddles on the tarmac.
A jack-in-the-box snake pops out of the instrument panel when you try to release the canopy. You fry.
You hear all your lose change flip around in the cockpit when you invert.

Flying online as Setback.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Approved Member

Less gimmicks. More soul. A development team that knows its capabilities a and does not overreach itself. I'd rather have a very good sim that works, than a brilliant one that does not.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:46 PM

Thumbs down

If they want to make money they need to bring on 1944 sooner , we the buys want and love IL2 46 with fw190,s vs P47,s etc . and i mis the GUI that IL2 46 had for off line coops and quick dogfights for training and hypo loppy.

And they sold us Stream ? just Sad !
Old 10-01-2012, 10:59 PM

Dynamic weather: precipitation, wind, turbulence, various cloud types at various heights.

A Full Mission Builder that i can understand and make work!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:40 PM
Approved Member

More early war aircraft.

Personally I've had my fill of late war uber planes.

Oh, and a game that works.

Just sayin'.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 10-02-2012, 05:47 AM

Uhhh ... how about a game instead of just a beta engine?